Game stores rip you off

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
I used to go to a used item store, they had movies, books, PC and console games, when you traded in a game to the store they would give you the option for in store credit or cash, naturally you would get less cash than in store credit,so you would most of the time take the store credit, but the cool thing was when you traded in a game they would normally give half the retail price for it, if your game sold for 60 dollars you got 30, if it sold for 30 in stores you got 15 for it, and so on and so on.

But the reason I liked this store so much was their 7 day return policy, which was if you didn't like what you bought and you returned it within 7 days you got a full refund, being younger then than I am now I would cheat the system and buy a game and return it before the 7 days was up and then turn around and buy something else and repeat this process, now though I'd probably keep the game unless it was too scratched to play or if I just didn't like it.

Arassar

Nov 25, 2008
You can't return a game just because you didn't like it. How would anybody make any money if their games get bought and then returned a week later? If you don't like buying shitty games, do some research beforehand.

And for God's sake, don't ever trade in your games at Gamestop. You might as well just get 40 bucks out of your wallet and hand it to them. I swear, dumbest thing I've ever seen people do. If you really must get rid of your games, use eBay - you will make twice as much.

plastic_window

Jun 29, 2008
If I were you, I'd buy from the internet - much cheaper - then keep the game.

Keep it as well as you can, and in 10-20 years it'll be worth a lot more. Especially if it's shit.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Freakout456 said:
Don't you just hate it when you buy a game you beat it or it plain sucks ass. So you take it back to the store and you don't get full price for it. I mean what a rip off even if you have a receipt you don't get full price. Even if it's one day later I mean they don't do this with any other product and this has pissed me off for as long as I can remember. Anyone agree?
Its called gamefly my friend. Saves you a ton of money, cause you can try out new games before you buy them and usually you get them at a discount. Its a win win.

ghostgnome

Jun 26, 2008
AkJay said:
i'm more pissed off at how Gamestop does not accept used PC games, seeing as i would easily get back almost 500 dollars if i did turn them in, and i would probably buy games with it.. so yea, f*ck 'em.
You realize that the inability to take used PC games is the result of the product code that each game includes. Since you can only load a game a certain amount of time before the code expires and the game becomes useless, thus makes selling it used nearly impossible.

As for the return policy, Gamestop employees are supposed to tell you if they have the game you want used in stock. So just buy one of those. And to be honest, they actually want you to buy used because on average they make a profit 5 bucks per new game.

JCambria

Feb 27, 2009
Flying-Emu said:
Seriously, it's called ECONOMICS.

Learn it, love it, live it.

If they sell you a game for $60 US, they don't care what happens to it afterwards. If you return with it, it'll screw them over to pay $60 back to you and then sell it with the required "used" tag on it.

If you see a game with "Used" written on it, do you want to pay $60? Of course not.

That's why it makes sense to only give you $20.
ghostgnome said:
AkJay said:
i'm more pissed off at how Gamestop does not accept used PC games, seeing as i would easily get back almost 500 dollars if i did turn them in, and i would probably buy games with it.. so yea, f*ck 'em.
You realize that the inability to take used games is the result of the product code that each game includes. Since you can only load a game a certain amount of time before the code expires and the game becomes useless, thus makes selling it used nearly impossible.

As for the return policy, Gamestop employees are supposed to tell you if they have the game you want used in stock. So just buy one of those. And to be honest, they actually want you to buy used because on average they make a profit 5 bucks per new game.
Exactly.

As for the PC games, I learned in my time working at Gamestop that it would be very difficult to accept one of those games back. Many PC games these days require a CD-key, and if you've taken it home, registered it, and trade it back in, the person who buys it next won't be able to use it. I'm not sure if uninstalling the game frees up the key, that's one thing I DIDN'T learn (I was only there for a few months as a temp, and I didn't think to ask then, so nyeh), but if it doesn't, the person who purchases it next is pretty much FUCKED.

Of course, I don't know, it's pretty obvious that CD keys don't really help the 'piracy' issue in the game industry, I know a lot of piracy sites also have key generators, so I'm of the opinion that they might just want to do away with that, just so long as all gaming companies don't go the EA route.

ghostgnome

Jun 26, 2008
Actually the best option for games is to simply work at Gamestop. You get to check out the used games and play them for free. Haha

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
AkJay said:
CD KEYS............dumbass that fucks with some games

SpeedReed

Mar 18, 2009
Try throwing out a nice sob story to the manager. A couple of years ago I went into my local Gamestop and told the manager the game I bought was by far the worst piece of shit I had ever played, and asked if there was any way I could get a refund or store credit, even though I didnt have a receipt. The lady said, well if its that bad...and gave me my money back.

Of course the alternative is to do more research when buying a game. Read reviews, see how much gameplay there actually is. If there arent many hours of gameplay, and little replay value, just rent it.

nightinferno

Feb 11, 2009
I stopped going to game stores and decided to keep all the games I buy. Here's my reasoning:

A brand new game costs $60 (or $50 for a Wii game)
A Pre-Owned version of a new game costs $55
When you trade a game in, they give you $30-$40
Most places won't give full price for a game that's been opened unless there is something wrong with the disk
So you end up losing $20-30 overall and you may actually want to play the game at a later time and not realize it (done this many times)

I just suck it up and save my money a little longer. The only reason I would ever trade a game in now is if it was so god awfully horrible that I could not bear to even look at the screen. *cough*Two Worlds*cough*

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
How about you rent the game for seven dollars. A week is plenty of time to find out if a game is too short or if it sucks, and if you end up not wanting it you're out 7 bucks instead of 60. And if it turns out to be a great game you actually end up buying it, yeah it'll cost you 67 dollars in the end, but I guarantee the money you save by not buying bad games will balance it out.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I always buy (and sell) mine on Amazon or eBay. I stopped wasting my dollars at Gamestop and EB Games a while ago, even before I saw a certain video series that I'm not allowed to mention on here.

Think of it this way: When you sell a used game to Gamestop, you get a paltry sum and they turn right around and sell it for a huge profit to the next sucker guy. But when you sell it to the next guy directly, you get more money AND he pays less, so both of you win. It's more profitable and it's easier.

SatuMitsumi

Feb 12, 2009
Yeah, I've had my fair share of bad games that I've bought for a ridonculous price only to sell it back for almost nothing.

So I've learned my lesson: buy or rent them cheap.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Try before you buy is why there are Video Game Rental Sections in video stores, maybe you should try using yours...

The only people who can't do that are the ones who like obscure JRPG's like myself or PC gamers.

mr rofl

Feb 11, 2009
i never return games or anything. our family is kinda.... wasteful of money, let's just say....... and we have a lot of money.