Game Theory: How Much is Minecraft Diamond Armor Worth?

MatthewPatrick13

Jun 17, 2014
How Much is Minecraft Diamond Armor Worth?

Just how expensive is diamond armor in Minecraft. GameTheory goes deep into gemology to give you the answer you never thought you would get.

Watch Video

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
If you will allow me a bit of well intended criticism:
It takes two minutes to actually get to the meat of the video. As you mention yourself, attention spans are short on the internet and I think this is way too long. IMHO the intro is too long and after that, there was too much noise about completely unrelated stuff I didn't even understand. But maybe I wasn't trying hard enough, as I was slightly annoyed, waiting for the video to get to the point.

I was almost about to close the video about three times in those first two minutes. This is a shame because it's a nice, interesting watch when it actually gets going.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
i think your reasoning is somewhat flawed trying to turn pixels into real life, a better way to do this is take a full set or real life steel plate armor at 33-55 pounds. The average weight of a cubic meter of steel is 7,849.78 kg and 55 pounds in kg is 24.9475804 Kilograms, this means that a suit of armors volume is 0.0031781248 of a cubic meter. When multiplied by the weight of diamonds per cubic meter it would be 11.15521801 kg, which is 55776.09003 CD and when multiplied by the $33500 price tag would be $1,868,499,016 for a suit of diamond armor.

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
I'm a bit confused, why are old Game Theory videos being put on the escapist?
Has the guy that make these things joined, or did they just find it and thought it would be a cool thing to post?

Not exactly sure what Team Hollywood is.

Not complaining, just thought it was a bit odd when there is no real cred given to the guy that I can see.
Just seems a bit random.

Tiamat666 said:
If you will allow me a bit of well intended criticism:
It takes two minutes to actually get to the meat of the video. As you mention yourself, attention spans are short on the internet and I think this is way too long. IMHO the intro is too long and after that, there was too much noise about completely unrelated stuff I didn't even understand. But maybe I wasn't trying hard enough, as I was slightly annoyed, waiting for the video to get to the point.

I was almost about to close the video about three times in those first two minutes. This is a shame because it's a nice, interesting watch when it actually gets going.
This right here is my point, the guy that made it will never read this.
Also it's 2 years old, but from this post there is no way of knowing that.

Ninonybox_v1legacy

Apr 2, 2008
GameTheory, on the escapist?...indeed!
It seems that Screwattack originated content is finding it's way here, first extra credits and now this.

silent299

Mar 29, 2011
You would think that someone who is creating a video that analyzes the game to this extent would at least be able to get the terms right. They list the armor components as "helmet, chest plate, shoulder coverings, and leggings." There is no such thing as "shoulder coverings" in Minecraft, what he is trying to refer to are "boots."

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
ninonybox360 said:
GameTheory, on the escapist?...indeed!
It seems that Screwattack originated content is finding it's way here, first extra credits and now this.
They were showing Death Battles a few months ago.

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
Uhhh... this video is at least a year old...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KuH0-994Hk

Why would you start recycling old Youtube vids, or is this just to flesh out the new format?
If your struggling for video game content during E3 you are in trouble.

red255

Apr 22, 2014
Don't be dumb.

Ok you did some wierd things, the price of diamonds influenced by rarity. Since Blue minecraft diamonds are the only type of diamonds in the world of minecraft its not really valid to use the second number.

you could either related it to the price of gold, then figure out its rarity value or something.

but if that many diamonds hit the market the price of diamonds would alter, but thats why they heavily regulate the market (the diamond suppliers)

Regarding protection. as you mentioned the weight it doesn't really matter the rest, you wouldn't be able to move in 1200 lb armor.

So you might have to assume the armor is actually less thick and massive than you thought, judging by his unhindered movement speed.

which would impact your calculated value as well.

-Torchedini-

Gone Bonzo
Dec 28, 2009
red255 said:
Don't be dumb.

Ok you did some wierd things, the price of diamonds influenced by rarity. Since Blue minecraft diamonds are the only type of diamonds in the world of minecraft its not really valid to use the second number.

you could either related it to the price of gold, then figure out its rarity value or something.

but if that many diamonds hit the market the price of diamonds would alter, but thats why they heavily regulate the market (the diamond suppliers)

Regarding protection. as you mentioned the weight it doesn't really matter the rest, you wouldn't be able to move in 1200 lb armor.

So you might have to assume the armor is actually less thick and massive than you thought, judging by his unhindered movement speed.

which would impact your calculated value as well.
I agree, the way that the volume of the armor is calculated is horrible. You are cutting way too many corners.

DestinyCall

May 5, 2009
I'd be more interested in the average length of time required to mine enough diamonds to craft a full set of diamond armor in minecraft. That's a number I could then apply to my real-life hourly income and figure out how much time/money I've spent/wasted on that beautiful blue armor.

At a guess, I'm betting it was at least five hundred dollars. So I guess I got a deal on that diamond suit, right?

.... right?

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Few criticisms here:

1. The armor isn't a solid gemstone. This is the biggest mistake made. You compare the suit of armor to the largest or most famous stones but these were all single gemstones. It is made of many other pieces of diamond. A large gemstone gets geometrically more expensive whereas very small diamonds can often be significantly cheaper. There's also huge jumps in demands at certain "milestone" sizes. A .99 carat diamond can be significantly less expensive than a 1 carat diamond. For all we know, the armor is made of millions of grain-sized diamonds which would be a few hundred bucks. They aren't magically combining smaller diamonds into one solid gem that is wearable. If they are then we have something impossible happening so the cost to produce that would be money+magic and the ability to magic diamonds around like that would also tank the market.

Heck, maybe Steve even breaks the diamonds up to make the armor? That would seriously change your armor capability point (though it certainly won't be as good as steel, iron, and even potentially wood armor).

2. Not all diamonds are "gemstone" quality. Think about diamond blades in construction for example. There are gem quality stones and then there's severely flawed diamonds that aren't ever going to be gemstone quality.

3. Inclusions, flaws? The truth is, you have no way to guess what kind of inclusions or materials could be inside the diamonds. All we know is that the clarity is near null. But that significantly includes the plausibility that there's other stuff inside the diamond and that will drastically reduce your value. Or, maybe the Minecraft world has diamonds with significant inclusions of titanium or something else that's nuts but could potentially make it more workable as a material and more functional as armor. It would also make less of the "weight" be related to diamond carat.

4. There's something wrong with the way you calculated the armor or with the way it is presented. Are you calculating them as solid or just doing surface area because I'd be hard pressed to get that much weight out of any kind of stone covering my body. We also know that diamond is around 3.5 grams per cubic centimeter and that's 218.5 pounds per ft^3. Now, at your 1160 lbs claim that would be around 5.3 cubic feet. How is this possible when made into a potentially thin layer of armor? We either must accept that a bad assumption was made somewhere or the minecraft scale is entirely out of sync with our own world's scale. I'd find either plausible.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Rattja said:
This right here is my point, the guy that made it will never read this.
Also it's 2 years old, but from this post there is no way of knowing that.
Indeed. Thanks for the heads up. What a waste of comment.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
iblis666 said:
i think your reasoning is somewhat flawed trying to turn pixels into real life, a better way to do this is take a full set or real life steel plate armor at 33-55 pounds. The average weight of a cubic meter of steel is 7,849.78 kg and 55 pounds in kg is 24.9475804 Kilograms, this means that a suit of armors volume is 0.0031781248 of a cubic meter. When multiplied by the weight of diamonds per cubic meter it would be 11.15521801 kg, which is 55776.09003 CD and when multiplied by the $33500 price tag would be $1,868,499,016 for a suit of diamond armor.
That is one alternate way to do the equation, but there are other ways too. We know how much "raw" diamond it takes to make a suit of armor in cubic meters. 1 cubic meter of diamond can be created from 9 diamonds. a full suit of armor takes 24 diamonds to make, or 24/9 cubic meters = 2 and 2/3 cubic meters of uncut diamond. That is a lot of diamond to create a single suit. This will undoubtedly increase the cost over the number given.

Ghadente

White Rabbit
Mar 21, 2009
yeah this is the last game theory video i even attempt to watch. I skipped through most of this one and any other one I have seen was incredibly dull or just pointless. Why are these on Escapist? I've come to expect better of this site