Game Theory: Is Link's Quest in Majora's Mask Pointless?

MatthewPatrick13

Jun 17, 2014
Is Link's Quest in Majora's Mask Pointless?

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is a fascinating game, presenting a death scenario unique in the video game world: Death by moonfall. But just how deadly is this, really? What damage would a falling moon actually cause? Is there ANY chance of survival? Does Link stand a chance of saving the citizens of Termina? The answers may surprise you!

Watch Video

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
That last bit where you talked about the moon changing the earths orbit and tides is only true with our own moon. With the tiny 63.5d moon in Majoras Mask, I doubt it would have any significant effect on the planet at all.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Excludos said:
That last bit where you talked about the moon changing the earths orbit and tides is only true with our own moon. With the tiny 63.5d moon in Majoras Mask, I doubt it would have any significant effect on the planet at all.

That's what I was going to say. How much gravity is a moon of such insignificant mass actually putting out?

I doubt it would cause global issues.

And for such a small moon to orbit while appearing large at all, it's initial balanced orbit must be significantly closer than our moon is. That tiny rock would barely be seen if it were as far our as the Moon.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Excludos said:
Exactly what I was going to say. With such a small moon, there would be virtually no impact (see what I did there) on the planet's tides or orbit.

Long story short. Majora's moon has no power here.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
Excludos said:
Eeeeeyup. Everything was solid up until that last bit. It's unreasonable to say that the moon is too small and too slow to do any damage, and then say that it has enough gravitational force to negatively affect the world by its proximity. Halley's Comet is much, much larger than Majora's Moon, but you don't see it destroying the world every 75 years. By MatPat's own logic, the Eiffel Tower is also causing mass chaos to our planet.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
If my votes even mattered I'd be screaming Kirby.
But aren't these videos old so our votes are pointless?
Why not just remove that epilogue before uploading?

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Damnit, you're gonna make me want to play Majora's Mask again if you keep going like this.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
The Force and Energy of the impact also depends on the mass of the planet itself. Is Hyrule its own planet?
I like these science based episodes better than the political ones, because those quickly go into tin-foil hat territory for me.

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
Darth_Payn said:
The Force and Energy of the impact also depends on the mass of the planet itself. Is Hyrule its own planet?
I like these science based episodes better than the political ones, because those quickly go into tin-foil hat territory for me.
The speed is also TOO low for a planet with 1G. Majora's Mask's world must be a LOT smaller...

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
ryazoph said:
But then the town would be destroyed.
Pretty much. The whole video is sort of missing the point of the story. Moons don't have eyes and a mouth either, so what's the point of this realistic portrayal? It's a metaphor, your not supposed to take the story at face value. It's like complaining about the talking pig head in Lord of the Flies. Of course it's not realistic, it's not SUPPOSED to be.

Vinterdraken

Apr 4, 2009
Started out interesting but then it took a wrong turn into speculation city with completely faulty reasoning. The video establishes early that the moon is tiny and therefore wouldnt have such a massive effect on the hyrulian planet to begin with and its orbit must be increadibly close to the surface already for the moon to even be visible as it is on a normal day with that size. It crashing down might cause some havoc with tides and weather, but probebly nothing world ending.

klown

Jun 6, 2012
I think your speed of the moon has to be off, or the air in Links' World is incredibly dense.. The last scene does show the Moon coming into the atmosphere and closer creating the fireball look. This means there is enough speed to cause air compression. With a quick bit of comparing things in the game, it has to be moving fast (If the moon is truely going as fast as you say it is (1.6 m/h), the air would have to be dense enough, that link swinging his sword would cause the same effect. (As it'd be moving faster than the moon does during it's swing)).

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I like this show, but I think this is a case of overthinking it, of trying to justify two disparate things with only one idea. A possessed hunk of rock the size of a small town held aloft by magic and giant mobile limbs clearly is not the same as an actual moon.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Fox12 said:
It's like complaining about the talking pig head in Lord of the Flies. Of course it's not realistic, it's not SUPPOSED to be.
This is a little besides the point, but wasn't Simon like schizophrenic or something and that's why he heard the voices? I mean, none of the other kids ever heard any voices, so it seemed like there was just something wrong with Simon. I don't recall there being anything particularly unrealistic about Lord of the Flies, unless we're talking about the movie version in which Piggy was crushed by the giant styrofoam boulder bouncing off his head.

OT: This show is basically just click bait; wild theories that rely almost entirely on speculation and out of context snippets of evidence.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
The Deadpool said:
Darth_Payn said:
The speed is also TOO low for a planet with 1G. Majora's Mask's world must be a LOT smaller...
That would be a matter of density. The lower the density of the moon the more air friction would be a factor. It would be possible to calculate the density of the moon, knowing it's size, speed, assuming 1G and sea level air density.

Of course that would lower the impact force of the moon, meaning the explosion on impact was a magical or chemical reaction.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Drathnoxis said:
Fox12 said:
It's like complaining about the talking pig head in Lord of the Flies. Of course it's not realistic, it's not SUPPOSED to be.
This is a little besides the point, but wasn't Simon like schizophrenic or something and that's why he heard the voices? I mean, none of the other kids ever heard any voices, so it seemed like there was just something wrong with Simon. I don't recall there being anything particularly unrealistic about Lord of the Flies, unless we're talking about the movie version in which Piggy was crushed by the giant styrofoam boulder bouncing off his head.

OT: This show is basically just click bait; wild theories that rely almost entirely on speculation and out of context snippets of evidence.
Well, sort of. The reason it's such a great horror story is because we never know for sure. The voice was supposed to be beelzebub, the lord of the flies, basically Satan. The whole story seems to take place in the real world, so having something supernatural happen that late in the novel adds a sort of terror to it. It means that there's possibly something else happening on that island, below the surface. But we never know for sure, because the author hints that Simon may just be crazy. The thing is, Simon is the only thing standing in the way of Beelzebub's plans, and he's the only one who realizes what's happening. When he tries to warn the other children, he's killed. That's the moment when things finally got out of control, and there's no turning back. Golding raises a lot of questions, but he never offers any answers. It's kind of like Jacobs ladder, or other horror stories, where you're questioning the characters sanity. Are we alone in the universe, or are there dark forces working behind the scenes? In Lord of the Flies both possibilities are terrifying. Either way, literally or figuratively, Beelzebub won.

It reminds me of Berserk, where the author hints at supernatural things existing, but we never see them until the end. Or Game of Thrones, where supernatural things exist in the shadows, but aren't seen by normal people.

OT: Yeah, I've heard of the last theory, about Link being dead, but this video just seems sort of pointless. I can appreciate the work that went into it, but the creators didn't put this much thought into it, so why should he? All we know now is that Link is supposedly 5 feet tall in the game, which I find unlikely in canon. I'd rather see him discuss the symbolism of Silent Hill or something.