Game Theory: Polybius, MK Ultra, and the CIA's Brainwashing Arcade Game

MatthewPatrick13

Jun 17, 2014
Polybius, MK Ultra, and the CIA's Brainwashing Arcade Game

Polybius is the biggest video game urban legend. An arcade game that brainwashes its players with subliminal messages.

Watch Video

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I like Game Theory, but is there any reason The Escapist is dishing out a year old episode as new content? I clicked on it only because I've seen so many Polybius vids I'd forgotten they did it, but I can't imagine there being a market for videos you could watch on YouTube a year ago.

Also, not my favourite episode. Taking a conspiracy theory based on a conspiracy theory and making it into a third conspiracy theory. I mean, it is just a theory....>.>

Bluesoul

Sep 19, 2010
Im glad to see they are bringing back shows like Extra Credits, but it is true that hopefully they will start producing new videos and get their own escapist crowd for their youtube channel

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Zachary Amaranth said:
I like Game Theory, but is there any reason The Escapist is dishing out a year old episode as new content? I clicked on it only because I've seen so many Polybius vids I'd forgotten they did it, but I can't imagine there being a market for videos you could watch on YouTube a year ago.
We're fans of Game Theory and wanted to present it here on The Escapist in addition to YouTube. Matthew Patrick has got an extensive backlog and the topics are generally evergreen so it made sense to start showing all of them here. I imagine we'll eventually catch up and start showing more current episodes. Enjoy!

God of Path

God of Path
Jul 6, 2011
Greg Tito said:
We're fans of Game Theory and wanted to present it here on The Escapist in addition to YouTube. Matthew Patrick has got an extensive backlog and the topics are generally evergreen so it made sense to start showing all of them here. I imagine we'll eventually catch up and start showing more current episodes. Enjoy!
This is awesome! I love MatPat's work, and seeing it here on the Escapist is great.

edit: I'm dumb how did I double post what is this i dont even.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
Game Theory is on the Escapist now? Woo! Awesome!

As it just so happens this is one of my favorite episodes of theirs. The Polybius myth is just so...fascinating, yet horrifying to think about. I would not be at all surprised if most of what was said about it is the truth, especially given the multitude of other Government monitoring scandals that have been cropping up in the news lately.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
You are certainly recruiting the right guys it seems. This will be good once original content starts coming out :D

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Game Theory on The Escapist?... AWESOME! :D

I've only seen a few episodes on YouTube, but what I've seen, I definitely like it, making it a regular thing on TE only means good things to me ^.^

evilnancyreagan

May 1, 2014
This series is brilliant, thanks for introducing it to me. However, the the voice work needs some serious loving in the EQ and gain departments.

Two indescrepencies I'd like to point out in this conspiracy theory:

It's very unlikely that a game with the presupposed complexity of Polybius could be developed in just a few months.

Portlands notoriously high suicide rate, anyways. It's a great place but, people like to kill themselves there, go figure. Some speculate that like Seattle, it's the dreary winters that are the culprit.

Nitpicking aside, It was a fun watch. I look forward to future episodes.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Nice! I like Game Theory despite of their constant misuse of the word "theory", but I guess "Game Hypothesis" wouldn't be as catchy.

uknownada

Oct 19, 2013
Great. Now there's another website to spread inaccurate, poorly thought-out theories.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Greg Tito said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Thanks Greg, it's always great to see the escapist expand it's video section, and to people that keep bringing up "it's already on youtube" just remember that the world is bigger than america and not all of us that can access the escapist can access youtube, please don't be selfish and have some consideration for us that have youtube blocked in our countries as well.

Abbot of Beregost

Jun 25, 2012
One thing to also note: LSD can be absorbed through the skin. If placed on something commonly touched (a doorknob, or a controller), one could conceivably dose a large number of people with a low dose. LSD is also very easily absorbed by mucus membranes, such as those in the eyes and nose...which you touch an awful lot. Combined with a secondary drug vehicle such as, say, DMSO, one could conceivably dose a large number of people surreptitiously through touching the game alone. The DMSO method could also be combined with other drugs.

Is this evidence that Polybius actually existed? No. But as Carl Sagan said, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Abbot of Beregost

Jun 25, 2012
One thing to also note: LSD can be absorbed through the skin. If placed on something commonly touched (a doorknob, or a controller), one could conceivably dose a large number of people with a low dose. LSD is also very easily absorbed by mucus membranes, such as those in the eyes and nose...which you touch an awful lot. Combined with a secondary drug vehicle such as, say, DMSO, one could conceivably dose a large number of people surreptitiously through touching the game alone. The DMSO method could also be combined with other drugs.

Is this evidence that Polybius actually existed? No. But as Carl Sagan said, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Matthewmagic

Feb 13, 2010
Hey matpat. It is good to see you are with the escapist now. I look forward too you and your continuing work here :D.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Neat. :) I enjoy Game Theory.
Never saw this episode though. Very neat story. Kind of makes you question if it's true.

Think the CIA is still doing experiments like this? Maybe not drugging people without consent, but perhaps using them as guinea pigs for some social experiments.

Oh well. At any rate, good to see Game Theory on the Escapist.
Gives me a lazy way to see the older episodes. xD