Game Theory: Rosalina Unmasked (Super Mario Galaxy)

MatthewPatrick13

Jun 17, 2014
Rosalina Unmasked (Super Mario Galaxy)

Who is Rosalina? Since being introduced in Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2, she's started to show up in everything. But what do we REALLY know about this intergalactic gal? Using the clues from the game...a lot more than you might expect. And what her identity reveals brings up A WHOLE LOTTA questions about the Mario franchise...

Watch Video

shadowxvii

Jan 9, 2013
One thing about the earlobes part though. If the whole Rosalina is Peach and Mario's child thing true, would they really think about making the earlobes genetically accurate ? Or was it just that this is how they draw characters. Is there any other characters in the mario games that have attached (or not) earlobes ?

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
shadowxvii said:
One thing about the earlobes part though. If the whole Rosalina is Peach and Mario's child thing true, would they really think about making the earlobes genetically accurate ? Or was it just that this is how they draw characters. Is there any other characters in the mario games that have attached (or not) earlobes ?
I did a quick search, I think Waluigi has dangling ear-lobes:

But generally I agree with your point, a lot of the shared features mentioned in this video such as blue eyes seem to be common to all of the Mushroom Kingdom humans, bar Wario and Waluigi.

Not really a strong theory today compared to many of their other ones to be honest, the genetics show it's possible for Rosalina to be Peach's child but it could equally be a coincidence. Ditto with the physical similarities, which aren't that striking. Then add to that that Rosalina's mother is dead anyway and the whole theory seems pointless. I've imagined that Peach and Rosalina could share the same mother though, I'll have to watch the other video to see if this is what GT is thinking.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Hhhmmm.

So Rosalina might be from the future, or another alternate reality? Some people say it might be that they shared the same mother, which is possible, only wouldn't Peach have known about having a sister? Wouldn't they have some shared memories of each other? Something?

Food for thought! I look forward to part two.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Is it just me, or does anyone else find it odd that Rosalina absolutely TOWERS over any of the other people in Mario Universe except DK, Waluigi and Bowser? I'll try to get a comparison video, but in Galaxy, Smash Bros. and MK8 she is much bigger than any other MK character (except the named above).

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
So I'm guessing that this isn't an escapist exclusive or produced video? BUT, I still enjoyed watching it. I hope part 2 does indeed get posted here. It got a little boring in the middle when he went so long on genetic stuff, but overall I was very entertained. I always like these crazy theories that people think up, because I just shake my head and go, "How in the world did you put all that together?" It's fun, and if we can get more stuff like this here on this site, I'll be happy.

EDIT: So I cheated and went and watched the second half. Yeah, okay. Mind blown at the end there. I like that theory. :)

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I hate this one. I watched it on Youtube. I mostly hate it because of all the people who take it (and this series in general) as Word of God. Until I hear any official word from Nintendo to the contrary, Roselina is NOT Peach's daughter!!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
So I'm guessing that this isn't an escapist exclusive or produced video?
Yeah, MatPat's been making these for years before Escapist picked them up...and this is actually a (relatively) older theory at that.

JoJo said:
Not really a strong theory today compared to many of their other ones to be honest, the genetics show it's possible for Rosalina to be Peach's child but it could equally be a coincidence. Ditto with the physical similarities, which aren't that striking. Then add to that that Rosalina's mother is dead anyway and the whole theory seems pointless. I've imagined that Peach and Rosalina could share the same mother though, I'll have to watch the other video to see if this is what GT is thinking.
One thing to keep in mind is that the vast majority of these are just for fun, as it is incredibly difficult to accurately apply real life science (such as genetics) to a video game world.

That said, the 2nd part to this theory - which is on youtube, by the way :p - actually ties the theory up pretty nicely.

Travis Fischer

Feb 1, 2012
canadamus_prime said:
I hate this one. I watched it on Youtube. I mostly hate it because of all the people who take it (and this series in general) as Word of God. Until I hear any official word from Nintendo to the contrary, Roselina is NOT Peach's daughter!!
Nintendo doesn't do official words. Even their official words come with "we don't really care about this" disclosures.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Travis Fischer said:
canadamus_prime said:
Nintendo doesn't do official words. Even their official words come with "we don't really care about this" disclosures.
Then we know where I'm going to continue to stand on this issue don't we?

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Word of God of course not this is Nintendo. But yeah it's a viable theory backed up by production notes. It's just something they changed because they didn't like the implications but left everything still there.

Travis Fischer

Feb 1, 2012
canadamus_prime said:
Travis Fischer said:
canadamus_prime said:
Yes, with you inserting yourself into a discussion without having anything of value to contribute.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Travis Fischer said:
canadamus_prime said:
Travis Fischer said:
canadamus_prime said:
Yes, with you inserting yourself into a discussion without having anything of value to contribute.
I was giving my opinion on the video, I was unaware I was inserting myself into anything.

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
Not that surprising Peach ends up with Luigi as Mario is gaming's leading gay icon, he and Toad being..more than friends..

ZeroKitsunei

Sep 1, 2008
I'd believe it more if you said it Peach and Rosalina were sisters or she lived in a time before Peach. Or whatever. I really doubt the team that made Rosalina took stuff like genes in to consideration making a chara even if they wanted he to be Peach's daughter. This whole thing seems kinda pointless. I mean he could of just as well made one vid about what he really thinks than one part that's BS that wastes time and one that's the real theory.

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
I know this video was for fun and I hate people who poke holes in things for no reason; but damn it the earlobe bit is a little interesting.

The earlobe attached / unattached genetic theory is a bit old of an idea. Apparently early tests seemed to follow with the eye colour dominate / recessive model, so it was accepted that the earlobe was the same. After more expansive tests were done, there were too many cases of two parents having unattached bearing a child having attached, and differing varieties there of. So it became that concluding the shape of a persons earlobes being down to genetic formula is a little shaky.

There's some really good articles and arguments online if you google it.

From experience though Mum, Dad, my Sister and all four of my Grandparents have unattached while I'm either adopted or just attached.