Game Theory: Star Wars Lightsaber Vs Halo Energy Sword

MatthewPatrick13

Jun 17, 2014
Star Wars Lightsaber Vs Halo Energy Sword

Two EPIC weapons in the ULTIMATE showdown: The Star Wars light saber and the Halo energy sword! Fans of both franchises know that these are iconic weapons on both sides, but that they also have some pretty interesting similarities. Researching how these weapons would be made and what kind of damage they could really do led me to ask just one question: Which one would win in a fight?!

Watch Video

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Trapping a plasma blade (or any blade, really, but especially plasma) does nothing if you're trapping it against your hand.

the.chad

Nov 22, 2010
I would be pulling the same argument people have for Kylo Ren's lightsabre cross guard feasibility... could you imagine swinging an energy blade when the plasma literally wraps around you wrist?

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
I would like to point out that the Energy Sword actually has nearly unlimited energy for use in practical terms - hell, the Arbiter is still using the same sword he used against the Prophet of Truth, all these years later.

Its just that after Halo 2, Bungie realized that maybe giving players an infinite energy death blade was a bit of a bad idea for game balance.

2xDouble said:
Trapping a plasma blade (or any blade, really, but especially plasma) does nothing if you're trapping it against your hand.
It would get caught in the narrowed section between the two blades.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
Paragon Fury said:
I would like to point out that the Energy Sword actually has nearly unlimited energy for use in practical terms - hell, the Arbiter is still using the same sword he used against the Prophet of Truth, all these years later.

Its just that after Halo 2, Bungie realized that maybe giving players an infinite energy death blade was a bit of a bad idea for game balance.

2xDouble said:
couldn't you just turn it off and on again to pass it through?

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
GZGoten said:
Paragon Fury said:

2xDouble said:
couldn't you just turn it off and on again to pass it through?
You'd die then, because there is no person with the reaction time needed to stop themselves from getting their arm cut off or getting stabbed through the chest in the time the On/Off would take.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
When it comes to design, the win goes to Halo? Is that for being able to trap a blade that will slide all the way to your unprotected hand, or the guards being very dangerous for your own arm, or is that for the blade being perpendicular to the grip, giving you absolutely no leverage when blocking (I mean, your ability to block depends entirely on your ability to prevent the grip from twisting in your hand) and almost completely relying on flexion of the wrist to stab accurately? Look at basically all historical swords: the blade always extends upwards from the grip, because that works. It gives you leverage and accuracy. One of the reasons why a scythe (not a specialized war scythe, mind you!) is a crappy weapon.

If you ask me, the Halo energy sword is one of the most ineffective sword designs in fiction (maybe second to the bat'leth). It's for crude inaccurate hacking, nothing more. Catching a blade and twisting it? If you caught a blade, good odds the other guy will disarm you with a grip like that.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
This is a time where they're wrong.

You can just bash the energy sword pretty damn hard and remove the wield's hand since the plasma blade surrounds it. And that's not even getting into the fact that there's lightsaber techniques for 'passing the blade' to kill dudes who would wield halo energy swords.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Sorry, know I'm super late to this thread buttttt

There's two things you need to consider about the Energy Sword. One is that it assumes that the other person you're fighting DOESN'T have another Energy Sword. (it's made for cutting up infidels, not other elites) And assuming they don't, the sword would just rip RIGHT THROUGH anything the other person tries to put up for defense. Even an opponent's energy shields. So it's actual physical layout isn't actually too important. And the other thing is that the Energy Sword was also built for ceremonial purposes (it needs to look pretty) instead of just straight up practicality.