Game Theory: The Clue that Solves Five Nights at Freddy's!

MatthewPatrick13

Jun 17, 2014
The Clue that Solves Five Nights at Freddy's!

With the FNAF Halloween update finished and Scott moving on to the Five Nights at Freddy's novel and the upcoming FNAF World, it's time we look back and finally put to rest the original FNAF tetrology. We have all the pieces...but what are we missing? Scott Cawthon have us theorists some clues to go off of during our Five Nights at Freddy's livestream, which led to new revelations and me to discover the clue that breaks the entire FNAF series wide open! Prepare to have your mind blown!

Watch Video

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Guess I'll spoiler this, though I don't know why someone would be looking at the thread without watching the video...

I can buy it. Yahtzee himself described the games as a simulation of the logic found in nightmares, which I thought was particularly apt, the way things only happen when you're not looking.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
My big problem with this theory is that you'd need to play all four games to really piece together the logic of the entire thing. As I understand things FNAF was a surprise success and I doubt the creator ever expected to get 4 fairly successful games out of it.

My theory is that "it was all a Dream" was something he planned out at the end since he needed to come up with some answer and tie everything together, but like many works where the unknowns are the entire point and someone is pressured to wrap it up, he had pretty much designed himself into a corner.

My biggest problem with the dream theory is that I can't see how the job of a night security officer watching video surveillance would enter into the imagination of a child so young he can't grasp the idea of a mascot suit.

The confirmation that Game Theory got almost everything right, makes me wonder if the developer happened to like someone else's idea better than his own idea and said 'yeah that's it' due to all the work put in. Either that or was simply waiting for someone else to tie all the random weirdness together into a form that they liked.

Not flattering, but as I said, my main problem with this "young child" theory is that it plays havoc with the central concept of the game and how your doing things. Where does a child learn about night security and video surveillance if he's so young to create all these other projections? Not to mention the voices on the phone, and I believe hiring ads and such. It's a little too advanced for the childlike mistakes made with other portions of the theory.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Therumancer said:
Not flattering, but as I said, my main problem with this "young child" theory is that it plays havoc with the central concept of the game and how your doing things. Where does a child learn about night security and video surveillance if he's so young to create all these other projections? Not to mention the voices on the phone, and I believe hiring ads and such. It's a little too advanced for the childlike mistakes made with other portions of the theory.
Possible explanation, if you reeeeeeeeeally stretch it: in FNAF4, there's a barely audible voice down the hall, it's FNAF1 Phone Guy's recordings playing backwards. Maybe FNAF4's kid is Phone Guy's son, and hears about Dad's work at the dinner table or something.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
As someone who only followed the story of FNaF through the descriptions and never played the games, that has to be one of the biggest blueballing ruinings of a cool mythos I've ever seen. It would be like Lovecraft revealing that most of his work was a direct result of a feverish dream by a depressed teenager (not that I'm directly comparing FNaF and H.P. Lovecraft's work in quality, it was just the most direct comparison I could think of).

I don't tend to like the "it was all just a dream" theories, and this one perfectly exemplifies why. One and a half years of constant speculation, including fucked up shit like Snaptrap and the murder and mangling of children is all meaningless, everyone's fine and all's good and right in the world.

Bull. Fucking. Shit.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Haha, sorry but spending so much time and effort trying to work out this elusive tale only for the maker to pull out "...but it was just a dream".

Imagine that at the end of LOTR or star wars! Setting up this entire universe only for the oldest rug pull in the game.