Game Theory: The Pokemon Multiverse Explains Everything

MatthewPatrick13

Jun 17, 2014
The Pokemon Multiverse Explains Everything

Not too long ago, Nintendo released Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire...games I initially wrote off as shameless HD rereleases. BUT! While the bulk of the story may be the same, there's a bit of post-game content that ROCKS the foundation of the Pokemon world and changes everything we THOUGHT we knew about the franchise!

Watch Video

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
The point of Schrödinger's cat, to my understanding, was that he meant to demonstrate how absurd it would be to apply these quirks of quantum physics on a macroscopic scale. As in: No, the unobserved cat (or Skitty) wouldn't be in a superstate of both dead and alive. He was disagreeing with the Copenhagen interpretation.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
Skeleon said:
The point of Schrödinger's cat, to my understanding, was that he meant to demonstrate how absurd it would be to apply these quirks of quantum physics on a macroscopic scale. As in: No, the unobserved cat (or Skitty) wouldn't be in a superstate of both dead and alive. He was disagreeing with the Copenhagen interpretation.
Thank the gods! Finally! Someone who is able to read the goddamn Wikipedia article on Schrodinger and his dead cat! I mean, at the very least; you might actually have taken a physics course, but that's not the point! The point is as you said, to show the absurdity in the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics. Schrodinger's "theory" ought to be classified along side Freud as being bollocks. But unlike Freud, Schrodinger was talking bollocks on purpose.

I love that people assume that because it's written, it's supposed to be taken literally.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I still find it stupid that mega evolutions are the reason there are now two universes in the Pokemon games. It's so silly that the only true difference between Ruby, and Omega Ruby is that mega evolution is a thing. Mega evolutions are such a huge deal in competitive battling for sure, but as far as the actual games go, they just feel like a neat new feature. I just feel like they are going to be foisted on us at every opportunity from here on out.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Ironman126 said:
Thank the gods! Finally! Someone who is able to read the goddamn Wikipedia article on Schrodinger and his dead cat! I mean, at the very least; you might actually have taken a physics course, but that's not the point!
Heh. To be honest, I first heard about this whole thing being a misconception from a Steve Shives video and then decided to actually look into it, read up on it, because everywhere else in pop-culture, it seems, where you encounter it, it is talked about very differently. Yes, let nobody tell you YouTube never teaches you anything; it can actually trigger people looking into things, even if only superficially. While I did have a physics course in school, I don't think we talked about quantum physics much.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
That's zelda, mario, metroid, pretty much every nintendo franchise.
Doing a reset to squeeze out more games of a franchise, continuity be damned, is kind of their thing.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
Skeleon said:
Heh. To be honest, I first heard about this whole thing being a misconception from a Steve Shives video and then decided to actually look into it, read up on it, because everywhere else in pop-culture, it seems, where you encounter it, it is talked about very differently. Yes, let nobody tell you YouTube never teaches you anything; it can actually trigger people looking into things, even if only superficially. While I did have a physics course in school, I don't think we talked about quantum physics much.
I sometimes think I've learned more from Youtube than I have my time in university... I know I've learned more about mathematics from watching Numberphile that I have from my two calculus courses.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Hero of Lime said:
I still find it stupid that mega evolutions are the reason there are now two universes in the Pokemon games. It's so silly that the only true difference between Ruby, and Omega Ruby is that mega evolution is a thing. Mega evolutions are such a huge deal in competitive battling for sure, but as far as the actual games go, they just feel like a neat new feature. I just feel like they are going to be foisted on us at every opportunity from here on out.
Not just that, there's also the fact that in the original RS, birth island existed, where Deoxys dwelt, for whom the descriptions is: "Deoxys emerged from a virus that came from space". Birth Island doesn't exist in ORAS, because it never hit the earth, instead we go up, smash it with Rayquaza and cause Deoxys to emerge.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
arc1991 said:
my brain = dead. holy shit!

I think i need to lie down...reflect on this...
Never imagined Pokemon like this throughout my life. To date, this is my favourite Game Theory.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
elvor0 said:
Not just that, there's also the fact that in the original RS, birth island existed, where Deoxys dwelt, for whom the descriptions is: "Deoxys emerged from a virus that came from space". Birth Island doesn't exist in ORAS, because it never hit the earth, instead we go up, smash it with Rayquaza and cause Deoxys to emerge.
I don't mind certain events being rewritten to fit the remakes, especially since it was the whole point of the Delta episode. That is a good point however, Deoxys still landed in the originals and the world didn't suffer too much.

I just feel it is silly that now you have the older remakes which were made to catch up the newer games, but now you have a new set of games (XY/ORAS) creating their own new reality. And it's all because of something like mega evolution? I get Gamefreak wants to promote mega Pokemon, but they aren't that fascinating from a story perspective, at least for me. It was a nice idea to make old, seemingly useless Pokemon more viable in battle, but to base a brand new universe/timeline around it is weird.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Hero of Lime said:
elvor0 said:
I don't mind certain events being rewritten to fit the remakes, especially since it was the whole point of the Delta episode. That is a good point however, Deoxys still landed in the originals and the world didn't suffer too much.
I guess that maybe Deoxys would've caused havoc, but we stop him before he does so after the meteor lands? That's my hypothesis. Deoxys pops out the meteor in ORAS, but perhaps in RS, the impact of the meteor hitting the Earth forces Deoxys to need to reconstitute itself, giving the player the time to get there and beat him before he causes havoc.

Hero of Lime said:
I just feel it is silly that now you have the older remakes which were made to catch up the newer games, but now you have a new set of games (XY/ORAS) creating their own new reality. And it's all because of something like mega evolution? I get Gamefreak wants to promote mega Pokemon, but they aren't that fascinating from a story perspective, at least for me. It was a nice idea to make old, seemingly useless Pokemon more viable in battle, but to base a brand new universe/timeline around it is weird.
I think the reason for that is because chronologically, Ruby/Saphire are at the very start of the pokemon game timeline, so the point of divergance needs to be bought to the forefront in order to deal with the fact that other wise, Mega evolution woud be present in ORAS, but /not/ the games afterwards chronologically if ORAS was set in the 2D universe.

That doesn't work however if X/Y say that they just discovered mega evolution (as in the world, not just the player) X/Y, because it's chronologically the latest in the timeline. Do you remember if they said anything like that in X/Y or it's just a thing that is?

Either way, I'm not too fussed personally, it's not like Pokemon has ever done anything with its canon aside from the RBG - GS story. But yeah, I'm not gonna disagree with you that its a little silly. Pokemon didn't need a multiverse.

EDIT: Watch out for the edits.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
elvor0 said:
I think the reason for that is because chronologically, Ruby/Saphire are at the very start of the pokemon game timeline, so the point of divergance needs to be bought to the forefront in order to deal with the fact that other wise, Mega evolution woud be present in ORAS, but /not/ the games afterwards chronologically if ORAS was set in the 2D universe.

That doesn't work however if X/Y say that they just discovered mega evolution (as in the world, not just the player) X/Y, because it's chronologically the latest in the timeline. Do you remember if they said anything like that in X/Y or it's just a thing that is?

Either way, I'm not too fussed personally, it's not like Pokemon has ever done anything with its canon aside from the RBG - GS story. But yeah, I'm not gonna disagree with you that its a little silly. Pokemon didn't need a multiverse.

I forget where the helpful diagram was but it was officially stated that the events of ORAS take place few years apart from the events of X&Y

I don't have a problem with the multiple timeline thing since the idea was already present in Gen 5. They just decided to make it a plot point

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Semi-DemiFiend said:
elvor0 said:

I forget where the helpful diagram was but it was officially stated that the events of ORAS take place few years apart from the events of X&Y

I don't have a problem with the multiple timeline thing since the idea was already present in Gen 5. They just decided to make it a plot point
I know, X/Y takes place about 10 years after the events of ORAS. That's why I was asking if in X/Y it is specifically stated that the world only just discovered mega evolution, because that would cause a massive continuity snarl.

Official time line is RS/RBG - 3 yrs - GS/PD - 4 years - BW1 - 2 years - BW2/XY.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
elvor0 said:
Hero of Lime said:

I just replayed X about 2 months ago, but I forget if they talk about mega evolution being a new discovery or not. They do mention that the fairy type had just been discovered, which opens a bunch of new questions. Admittedly, I think I put too much thought into the plot lines of Pokemon games anyway. I don't mind that mega evolutions are a big deal, I just wish their integration into the games could be more meaningful.

If all else fails, personal head cannons fix everything anyway. :p

Phillip Rice

Feb 13, 2015
A minor addition to this, but it fits really well: Professor Oak is an inter-universe traveler. This explains why he doesn't know his grandson's name, he's asking you because he doesn't know what his name is in this particular universe. He says he is a pokemon researcher, but gives you an empty pokedex. This is because he's actually cataloging what pokemon are present in this particular universe. Also, in the early games you could never find any of the starters. That's because Oak brought them from his universe, and they simply don't exist in the red/blue universes. This can be applied to later games as well of course, but I haven't played them enough to be certain.