Game Theory: Why You Play Video Games

MatthewPatrick13

Jun 17, 2014
Why You Play Video Games

It's the most fundamental question we can ask: Why do you play video games? Because they're fun? That's just the beginning. Video games satisfy a variety of needs depending on who you are, what you value, and even where you are in the world! So today, in honor of reaching 1 million subscribers, we're revealing a little about every person who has ever had fun playing a game.

Watch Video

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
How timely. Last night's South Park took a stab at Freemium games and addiction. It took a little pep-talk from Satan for Stan to understand how dopamine works and what causes its release in the brain has changed. Now sounds eerily similar to the fulfilling needs parts of this video.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Guess I'm mostly a B/autonomy player then, based on the types of games I play, with a little bit of A/competence strewn in. C/relatedness, well, I very, very rarely play multiplayer games at all.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
I'm totally in the "C" group. I love me some platformers.
The 90's were a wonderful wonderful time.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
I strangely fall into the 'R' category, dispite being a solo player 99% of the time. I thought 'B' would fit me better, ohwell.

Funny thing is, as soon as he started showing Miku, Winamp decided to choose a Miku song. Haha.

Captcha: Stand and Deliver. Say, you want me to put on Adam And The Ants?

Link Satonaka

Mar 1, 2012
Yeah I usually don't like game theory (but I watch them as they come out on the escapist so I can't say I dislike it too much), but this episode was really good.

Also, I need to know what some of those dating sim games were. Because I'm relatedness! With a heavy dose of mastery and precision. Apparently I was supposed to be born in Japan. There is a part of me that really, really loves just the freedom of exploration, but only in very specific games- some games just have awe inspiring wonder to be experienced, so I guess you could say I have a low need for autonomy.