Game Theory: Will 2015 be the End of YouTube Rewind?

MatthewPatrick13

Jun 17, 2014
Will 2015 be the End of YouTube Rewind?

With the year winding down, I wanted to do my own "YouTube Rewind" - recapping the highlights of my year with all of YOU. But then I noticed, YouTube was not the only platform recapping it's year in a snazzy video, Facebook did so too. And with all the hype about Facebook video I thought it might be time to analyze these two platforms (which seem to be going head to head in a battle for the internet video); and, discuss the future of digital media. What does the future hold for our beloved platform? Let's find out!

Watch Video

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Fuck's YouTube Rewind? Fucking YouTube Rewind.

Heck of a trip, that.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Hmm, I know he says that TV is "dying", but I'm pretty sure it's just cable that is dying with TV watching just relocating to online streaming sources.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
10:36 - After the Rain, bitches!

God I love that song... so much Realmz nostalgia...

Seriously though, it's gonna be interesting to see where all this goes. Especially with the GOP trying to repeal net neutrality.

EDIT: Also, that new trend of pushing for longer videos is likely to kneecap the interlingual side of the community. The great thing about 3 minute videos is that they're quick to watch and relatively easy to absorb, making them ideal for non-native speakers of English (or of whatever language ANY video happens to be in). Basically, small-bites-more-frequently.If they keep pushing shorter videos out, that'll raise the bar of entry for non-native speakers.
Give it what, ten years? When all you can find is 20-minute-to-hour-long webisodes or TV shows, Netflix style, and it won't be a place for people to come and experience first-hand, it'll be something to save for later when you can find the subtitle files. That's not good news at all when you're trying to be globally inclusive, whether for community reasons or for financial ones.