Game with the best music

qaqa1

Dec 3, 2007
What game do you think had the best soundtrack ever for me id have to say....

Jet set radio future
Megaman Series
Skies of arcadia

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
-Age of Mythology
-Age of Empires II+III
-World of Warcraft
-Titan Quest
-Europa Universalis

Swenglish

Dec 21, 2007
the halo series had a decent soundtrack, especially Halo 2's.

However, when it comes to music, I'd say Skate and the SSX series. EA tends to put in some good music in their titles.

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
RebelRising said:
-Age of Mythology
Absolutely!

For the more classical stuff, such as WoW's, I prefer Archlord's epic soundtrack. The game might not be that great, but the score certainly is.

Parapper the Rapper 2 has a special place in my heart.

P.J.Fry

Apr 9, 2007
Hmm, there are many games with great soundtracks, but surprisingly not so much of them use the music to full extent.

For example, while Halo always had a fantastic Soundtrack, i never felt it is used in a good way outside of the cutscenes.

That said, the Shadow of the Colossus Soundtrack comes into mind. It feels like during the game, the music provides a great buildup for the confrontations, and when they finally happen, you fight with a really epic score in the background.
Hitman: Blood Money had an equal quality.

Other than that, i second SSX, because it shows how much you can do even with licensed Music. Also, thanks to the Music, playing SSX1's "Snowdream" for the first time ranks amount my favorite gaming moments ever.

qaqa1

Dec 3, 2007
Well cant just have good music it also has to fit well with the game which is why I love Jet set Radio Future as the music goes with the games pace.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
I'm so glad someone created this thread, as I'm a huge fan of computer game soundtracks.

Here's a small list in no particulary order.

The ones highlighted in bold are ones for best of all time:

Guilty Gear X Heavy Tracks
Tenchu I & III
Panzer Dragoon, Orta and Saga
Guardian Heroes
Parodius: Fantastic Journey
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
Jet Set Radio Future
Soul Calibur
Myst III: Exile - ALL TIME FAV
Keio Flying Squadron
Final Fantasy VII, VIII, XI & XII
Wipeout (Sega Saturn version)
NiGHTS into Dreams
Phantasy Star Online Songs of Ragol and Episode II
Sonic CD, Sonic 3D & Sonic 3
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
Stella Deus
Vagrant Story
Shadow of the Colossus
Street Fighter EX + Alpha, SF Alpha 3 & SF4: Third Strike
Silent Hill 3 & Origins
Under Defeat
Monkey Ball & Monkey Ball Banana Blitz (co-incidently if anyone knows where to get hold of the soundtrack, please let me know)
Rollcage
Grand Theft Auto
Sega Rally
Curse of Monkey Island
Dead or Alive 2 Trax
Grim Fandango
Darkstalkers 3
Daytona USA
Ridge Racer Type 4
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Medal of Honor: Frontline
Spyro the Dragon
Gradius V
Resident Evil (original)
Bangai-0
Capcom VS SNK 1 & 2
Dune 2000
Broken Sword: Knights Templar

Akirasfriend

Jan 6, 2008
All of the Zelda games, but notably Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and Wind Waker (haven't played Twillight Princess, but I'm sure the score's just as worthy). Certainly Shadow of the Colossus, for the epic moments (and for causing me to try and get the final stab in as it comes to a crescendo). I agree with Parappa the Rapper 2, and have to add the sounds of Gitaroo Man.

But my personal favourite? Killer7. Anybody that's heard 'Rave On' when you reach the Vinculum Gate can vouch for me on this one.

Apone

Jan 13, 2008
We used to call the battle music in Shadow of the Colossus "Beard Music" in my circle of friends, after the fight with the tall one with the large beard being their first introduction to that awesome game. It would then be sung during an encounter in a DnD campaign to aid morale and rolling.
I have special memories of FFVII, Ocarina of Time and thought the Halo series stuff was a great addition to the feel of the game.
The Metal Gear Solid series has been fantastic (especially 3), and the Legacy of Kain series created atmosphere for the game play.
I'm glad some developers put so much effort into making it work.

Nov 28, 2007
Any of the Final Fantasy games up to X-2

Sonic the Hedgehog up to S&K

Megaman series

Castlevania series

Shadow of the Colossus

Guitar Hero series

Rock Band

njsykora

Sep 11, 2007
Jet Set Radio Future, Megaman 2, Ocarina of Time and Final Fantasy VII all get honourable mentions.

Sonic 3D is the best though, that is a supreme soundtrack.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I'm an unapologetic raving fan of the Halo series soundtracks, having bought all four soundtrack albums and playing them regularly. I also love how the game's music engine changes the mix and sequence to fit what's happening on the screen, as if my gameplay is being "scored" the same way a movie would be... and how Halo 3's engine does the Dolby 5.1 mix in real-time so everything fits together perfectly.

Psychonauts got it right as well; the right music at the right times, and silences when they were needed too.

Mass Effect's soundtrack was good but a bit repetitive... it needed more silences to break up the sense of "wallpaper" that crops up during all that replay.

Bioshock used its soundtrack to great effect, both the licensed stuff and the originals.

Going way back in time, I loved how XCOM's soundtrack worked in the game.

-- Steve

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
I forgot to mention, the Sonic CD soundtrack is the Japanese/ European version, certainly NOT the US version, also featured on the recent European Sonic collections.

Sonic 3D the Sega Saturn and PC version obviously too.

TheSuppafly

Sep 6, 2007
Arcanum and TESIV: Oblivion, can't understand why anyone hasn't mentioned Jeremy Soules Oblivion soundtrack.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Anything by Frank Klepacki is good. I'm currently listening to the Universe At War-soundtrack. It's free to download btw ;)