Game with the best music

Chis

Nov 28, 2007
You're all wrong: all suggestions here beaten thoroughly by both Thunder Force 3 & 4, Ys Book 1 & 2, Ys 3: Wanderers Of Ys, Castlevania Dracula X: Chi No Rondo (PCE), and both the Cold Storage and licensed soundtracks for the FIRST Wipeout. Oh, and Cyberwar. Try and dig THAT one up.

Oh, and BOTH Sonic CD soundtracks are good, don't trust anyone who says otherwise.

TSED

Dec 16, 2007
Crystalis has this one song for the ocean that I still get stuck in my head to this day.
Devil May Cry (3 in particular).
Icewind Dale's track was so emotive.
Jet Moto 2.
Jets 'N Guns. Despite being a little indie game no one's ever heard of, best soundtrack evar. (I only know about it because I'm a huge fan of the band that did the soundtrack.)

Swenglish

Dec 21, 2007
Akirasfriend said:
All of the Zelda games, but notably Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and Wind Waker (haven't played Twillight Princess, but I'm sure the score's just as worthy). Certainly Shadow of the Colossus, for the epic moments (and for causing me to try and get the final stab in as it comes to a crescendo)quote]

Forgot about those, the Zelda series has one of my favourite soundtracks. Some have critisized the Twilight Princess for not having the soundtrack to be composed by a real orchestra, but to be honest, Nintendo made the right choice to decide that the soundtrack sounds and feels they way it does. 100% Sublime.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Oh, and to again hit the retrogame scene... Outrun. I spent way too many quarters in my misspent youth just keeping that music and game running.

-- Steve

REDPill357

Jan 5, 2008
Portal has the best end-of-video-game song ever.

I've always been a sucker for the BF1942 theme.

But overall, I'd say NOLF 1&2 and Psychonauts.

TSED

Dec 16, 2007
REDPill357 said:
Portal has the best end-of-video-game song ever.

You know, I want to disagree, but mostly it comes down to personal taste. I will grant that the lyrics in it are definitely the funniest / cleverest, though.

llaunay

Apr 25, 2004
If you put WoW's music against LotR's or Eq2s... its really very average... WoW didn't have a fantastic soundtrack.

Grim Fandango has an amazing overall soundtrack, beautiful and characteristic
Soul Calibur & Tenchu had great tracks
Metal Gear Solid had a great overall sound track, and great theme

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Chis said:
You're all wrong: all suggestions here beaten thoroughly by both Thunder Force 3 & 4
I was close to giving a mention to Thunder Force 4. 'Fighting Back' (track from the first level) is the first track on my itunes 'fav game soundtracks' folder.

The Wind Waker had some good tunes, but I couldn't recommend any of the other Zeldas. Ocarina's Hyrule theme was terrific, but I can't remember much of the rest of it. I'll have to dig the OST out and have a long called for listen.

InsanityManifest

Nov 14, 2007
The Chrono series had a lot of good music. It used the music to fit both the mood of each scene and the characters themselves.

I mean, when you hear Frog's Theme you just want to put on a suit of armor and go save a princess.

yourself

Jan 3, 2008
Super mario galaxy has one of the best sound tracks I've heard in a while.

Kingdom hearts usually has good music too.

p1ne

Nov 20, 2007
Terramax said:
Myst III: Exile - ALL TIME FAV
WELL PLAYED sir! What a fantastic soundtrack, and one that very well might not have gotten mentioned. I probably wouldn't have thought of that one, but you're right, it owns.

I may not be a proficient enough gamer to claim the most educated opinion on this one, but out of the games that I have played my favorite soundtracks (IN ORDER!) are:

1. Donkey Kong Country 2 (so classic)
2. Unreal Tournament - I still listen to all the tracks on a regular basis with ModPlug player
3. Donkey Kong Country
4. Pretty much anything by Cyan Studios
5. Beyond Good and Evil
6. C&C: Red Alert

Kikosemmek

Nov 14, 2007
I have the entire soundtracks for Katamari Damacy and the Orange Box. Homeworld 1's menu music was awesome.

Age of Empires 1-3 had an overall great title piece. They're all basically the same, but got a bit expanded upon in each game.

end_boss

Jan 4, 2008
I don't have a wide range of titles to choose from. For now, the ones that jump into mind for now are Okami and Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, for in-game ambient music.

Best song: "Still Alive" from Portal, by far.

Zera

Sep 12, 2007
What game has the best soundtrack you say. Brawl of course since its a collection of the greatest game music. Nuff said.

Tenchan

Sep 11, 2007
Silent Hill, of course. Akira Yamaoka is an amazing audio artist.

The music to Shadow of the Colossus amazed me in that during play, I never actively listened to it, in fact, didn't even grow fully aware of its presence, and yet it supported the dramatic build up in a way I would have, in hindsight, never felt without it.

The Final Fantasy series is a classic for gaming soundtracks, if only because the sheer quantity of tracks makes for a higher chance of real gems to pop up. FF8 had some very good ones, despite being the worst game of the series to me, and FFXI has a brilliant set of tracks.

AlexanderAstartes

Afternoon Delight
Jan 1, 2008
The Halo Series. And Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders (Heroes aswell) had some really obscure rock, but it did well getting you into the frantic mood of battle.
Morrowind, naturally. Oblivion's is good, but it doesn't have the class Morrowind did.
Also music for the movies in Warcraft III were pretty good, especially for Arthas' Betrayal.