Gameboy Games I should play

Brendan Stepladder

May 21, 2012
For the advance:

Megaman Battle network series. All of them. Those games comprised my childhood and have so much depth to them. I've played them for years and still can't beat most of them, and on what few I have, I can barely scratch the post-ending gameplay. If you are getting 3, make sure to get the blue version, as is it objectively superior to white version (more optional bosses). Don't waste your time on 4-6. They all suck, especially 4. Still, I could rant about the originality and addictiveness of these games for hours. These are a gem for the GBA and IMO the best series released on the platform.

Metroid Fusion. Relatively quick playthrough when compared to console standards. Definitely worth a play if you like Metroidvania games. Very smooth gameplay.

If you like platformers, the Super Mario Advance remakes are a great choice.

There's a Link to the Past remake for the GBA too, if you haven't already played it.

EDIT: On the Megaman front, 2 is the best in the series, followed by 3. Get those if you are getting anything.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
Fire Emblem Blazing Sword and The Sacred Stones are both excellent turn based strategy

Castlevania Aria of Sorrow,the best of the 3 GBA Castlevanias, fun exploration and the soul system is really fun to play with. If you like that then definitely go for Metroid Fusion.

Mother 3:you'll need a patch for it unless you speak Japanese,but it's worth it.great quirky JRPG with a surprisingly dark story

If you haven't played Legend of Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons change that now

As for your question it sounds like Summon Knight Sword craft story where you're in a tournament but you has to go deeper into this dungeon for one reason or another. It was a great little RPG. If that's not what you're thinking of play it anyway.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening DX
Super Wario Land
Wario Blast (Featuring Bomberman)
Gradius: The Interstellar Assault (otherwise known as Nemesis II)
Tetris Blast
Dr. Mario
Heiankyo Alien
Metroid II: Return of Samus

BlueberryMUNCH

Apr 15, 2010
I haven't played them myself, but the Golden Sun games have been regarded highly by friends of mine; I'm sure they're worth a go!
I guess any of the Pokemons are really worth a go. Like, Crystal and Emerald.
Hmm *thinks back*...nothing else comes to mind, but maybe because I've drank too much green ginger wine.

So yeah, Golden Sun! I think o_o.

Dr.Panties

Dec 30, 2010
(1) Astroboy: Omega Factor- awesome beat/shoot'em-up, and probably one of the best games on the system.
(2) Advance Wars 1 and 2- fantastic turn-based strategy.
(3) Max Payne Advance- cracking good fun.

Blazing Steel

Sep 22, 2008
Crash Bandicoot for any gen. Played most of them and enjoyed all of 'em. Deffinately not the best games you'll ever play, but for me it gave me the only thing I wanted. Fun.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
GBA:

Golden Sun
Golden Sun: The Lost Age

GB/GBC
Final Fantasy Adventure
Final Fantasy Legend 1,2,3
Pokemon Crystal

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
The Megaman Battlenet Games (all of them, I'd say)
Super Mario World 2 Advance
Yoshi's Island

and that's all I got.
EDIT: Oh yeah and the Pokemon games they're all decent--my favorite's Emerald mostly because of the tournment thing at the end. If you're persistant, know what to do, (use an emulator to speed things up), and aren't 10 you can finish them pretty quickly.

Breaker deGodot

Apr 14, 2009
Mother 3, hands down. It's a lot easier to play if you have a USB controller, but even if you don't it has an utterly amazing story.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
oooh oooh oooh play Kirby's dream land! Nothing better than playing as an adorable little serial killer with whimsical childlike abandon! Also you get to fight a tree and a penguin with a mallet.

Moonmover

Feb 12, 2009
Timzilla said:
Also, I was looking for a Gameboy game which I had when I was younger, but cant remember the name of. All I remember is its an RPG. Its top down until your in a fight, and then is a side scrolling veiw. I know theres a dungeon with descending levels that gets harder as you go down. You also have some kind of thing (I think its like an Alchemy Spirit or something like that) you can summon that helps you make new weapons and I think can help you in battle. I know there's three diffrent spirits you can pick at the start of the game. Also, after every major game event, you can go and talk to one of the main charaters. Thats all I can remeber.
You're thinking of "Summon Knight: Swordcraft Story." There is also a lesser-known sequel, which is also good. If I remember this right, "Summon Knight: Swordcraft Story 2" was the last game to be released for the Gameboy Advance.

Also try "Pokémon Crystal Version" and "Pokémon Emerald Version."

Several good NES and SNES games were ported to the Gameboy/Gameboy Advance - including "Super Mario Bros." and "The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past."

Oh yeah, and Tetris. You can't have the full Gameboy experience without Tetris!

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
Looks like everyone knew what they were talking about coming into this thread.

OT: The only one I can think to add is KH: Chain of Memories. Perhaps Crash Bandicoot, Huge Adventure as well.

Oh, the Pokemon Trading Card game is definitely worth it as well

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
wow. i didn't expect to see so much support in this thread. am i on the right site?

OT: technically, you should only download roms of games you already own.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
I've played tons and tons of Gameboy games (the original GB) and the fondest for me with the most depth or the most enjoyment value were as following:

Kirby's Dreamland 2. Good, quirky game. Fast flowing fun. Along with Mario Land 2 and Mario Land 3 (which is actually Wario Land I think) its the best platformer.

Link's Awakening. Huge, huge game. Amazing depth for a Gameboy title. Loved it.

Pokemon Blue/Red. Amazingly outdated nowadays, give the newer ones a try.

Donkey Kong. The game actually gets amazingly complex with timed puzzles and awesome jumping.

Bomberman. Kick bomb...*slide slide slide* BOOOOOOMMMM.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
InB4Ban/Lock

GBA:
Klonoa:_Empire_of_Dreams
Klonoa_2:_Dream_Champ_Tournament

Shin_Megami_Tensei:_Devil_Children - DemiKids:_Light/Dark_Version

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
Best are:

Pokemon Yellow