GameFly Gets Physical With The G-Box

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
GameFly Gets Physical With The G-Box

GameFly's no longer just an online service, as the company has begun to roll out a physical distribution scheme in the form of the "G-Box," a rental kiosk for Wii, PS3 and 360 games.

GameFly has heretofore been an online-only rental service a la Netflix, but with the debut of The G-Box the company's getting all up in your physical space. The game rental kiosk made its debut at Texas Tech University [http://media.www.dailytoreador.com/media/storage/paper870/news/2009/03/04/News/Gamefly.GBox.Allows.Students.To.Rent.Video.Games.On.Campus-3658186.shtml]recently and will start popping up across the States in the future.

It works essentially like those DVD rental kiosks that you always see when you're at the checkout counter of the supermarket - you know, those things with the touch screens that let you rent the latest romantic comedies with a credit card. The G-Box will stock the latest PS3, 360 and Wii games, and charge your Visa/Mastercard/Discover by the day, with rates running at $2.49 a day for PS3/360 games and $1.99 for Wii games. There'll also be a rent-to-own plan. The G-Box won't have due dates or late fees, but if you don't want to get charged $2.50 a day for a copy of LEGO Batman you have no interest in owning, you'll probably want to return something before long.

"The kiosk program is a way to extend the GameFly universe into the physical world," company co-founder Sean Spector said.

Hopefully it'll make it easier to rent new releases, which is often not exactly convenient using GameFly's online distribution, which often seems short on supply when it comes to the latest titles.

File this one under "Things that make me wish I were still in college" next to being able to wear sweatpants 24/7 and having the time to finish JRPGs. Conversely, if you're in college, file it under "things that will drop my GPA by a whole point." If you're not in college yet or never were, well, just file it under more ways to waste your money.

[Via 1UP [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173119]]

(Image [http://media.www.dailytoreador.com/media/storage/paper870/news/2009/03/04/News/Gamefly.GBox.Allows.Students.To.Rent.Video.Games.On.Campus-3658186.shtml])

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
I forgot to mention how I love the gigantic RENT VIDEO GAMES HERE plastered all over the thing.

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
that would be really convenient. Not sure if you want a game? just walk down the steet and take it for a test drive.

Flap Jack452

Jan 5, 2009
2.49 a day? Thats kinda cheap, If you are already a member it should be a cool add-on that doesn't cost anything.

/end whimsical thinking

dadanman

Feb 14, 2009
The idea is great, I use to use redbox (dvd rental kiosk) all the time. BUT 2.50$ a day? that 5$ for two days and 17.50$ a week. Where I'm from that's a horrible rip off. The rate redbox had for renting dvds was 1.99 for the first night, (and stayed like that if you returned it before noon) and then 1.00$ each night after (when you reach 27$ you owned it)

NOT to mension redbox if you subscribed to their E-mail will weekly send you a free code, for one free night of movie rental.

I don't know if GF will be offering any promotional deals but thats a steep price to ask for a system that does not offer a refund if your game is messed up or are forced to BUY THE GAME if you lose the little clear case it comes in (the clear case has a barcode on it to tell the kiosk which game it is.

they need to lower that by the day price.

This-is-Hip-Hop

Feb 21, 2009
Maybe this will be the passage I need to convince myself to buy a Gamefly subscription, I have a Netflix subscription already. I can not exactly put a reason on it, but renting video games threw mail has never really seemed natural to me.

-This-is-Hip-Hop

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
dadanman said:
The idea is great, I use to use redbox (dvd rental kiosk) all the time. BUT 2.50$ a day? that 5$ for two days and 17.50$ a week. Where I'm from that's a horrible rip off. The rate redbox had for renting dvds was 1.99 for the first night, (and stayed like that if you returned it before noon) and then 1.00$ each night after (when you reach 27$ you owned it)

NOT to mension redbox if you subscribed to their E-mail will weekly send you a free code, for one free night of movie rental.

I don't know if GF will be offering any promotional deals but thats a steep price to ask for a system that does not offer a refund if your game is messed up or are forced to BUY THE GAME if you lose the little clear case it comes in (the clear case has a barcode on it to tell the kiosk which game it is.

they need to lower that by the day price.
Redbox is $1.00 per night where I live. I think $2.00 a night would be a fair price for the G-box. That just means that you have to either not care about whether or not you finish games, or get games you can finish before it gets too expensive.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
Oh joy. Mopre things I want to use that don't thik Australia is a valid market. Oh well, back to abusing Game and EB'S Return policies
You support Gamestop? Eeeeewww. I would never buy from them.

(GAME and EB are owned by Gamestop)

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
SuperMse said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Oh joy. Mopre things I want to use that don't thik Australia is a valid market. Oh well, back to abusing Game and EB'S Return policies

And I take their games, play them and get a refund.
*raises hand* My Gamestop isn't evil...

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
SuperMse said:
Indigo_Dingo said:

And I take their games, play them and get a refund.
I know. I just can't stand walking into the store.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
SuperMse said:
Indigo_Dingo said:

Nope, Game is not owned by Gamestop. Where did you hear that? EB Games is though.