Gameloft Breaks Out the Clone Machine for WoW-Like Order & Chaos

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Gameloft Breaks Out the Clone Machine for WoW-Like Order & Chaos

Gameloft is working on a new title that's remarkably similar to World of Warcraft.

If you haven't heard of Gameloft, the company is primarily known for developing and publishing a mobile phone games, some of which are extremely reminiscent of titles made by other companies. One of Gameloft's latest is a game called Order & Chaos, which likely takes inspiration from popular Blizzard MMO World of Warcraft [http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Battle-Chest-Mac/dp/B000H96C9M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1300546867&sr=8-2].

Order & Chaos is an MMO for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch. Creating a portable MMO that's similar to World of Warcraft is probably not a bad idea when it comes to sales. However, Order & Chaos is similar in such a way that it'll make anyone with morals say: "Ugh."

The Order & Chaos teaser trailer shows off environments and characters that look like they were copied and pasted practically straight from World of Warcraft. It features humans, night elves, undead (with mohawks), and orcs. Even the armor and weapon designs look familiar.

I'm not saying that Blizzard, or any company, has a monopoly on orcs, but given Gameloft's track record I think it's pretty safe to say the company thought it'd be a good idea to clone World of Warcraft, just as it did with previous titles that are similar to Uncharted [http://www.amazon.com/Starcraft-II-Wings-Liberty-Pc/dp/B000ZKA0J6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300547763&sr=8-1]. Take a look:

Should Gameloft be condemned for its actions? I, for one, wouldn't mind playing a game like World of Warcraft or Starcraft on my phone, and Gameloft's at least appear to be of decent quality. Still, it's hard to support a company which is so blatantly taking ideas from other companies, even if those companies aren't working on mobile versions of their games.

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
Are.. are you sure you posted the right video?

That just looks like the vanilla WoW teaser.

And if it isn't, then MY GOD, make your own game!

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
this honestly sounds like a good idea in my opinion, the other ripoffs are very obvious ripoffs, but Allods was an obvious rip off of WoW and it was good... for some reason copying doesn't seem as bad when it is copying of a good mmo, otherwise it's just kind of infuriating

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Honestly, let's just hope Blizzard doesn't get any ideas. Imagine if they made a portable way to play WoW. God help us all...

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
I don't mind Gameloft because the majority of their clones aren't actually that bad. And they're not illegal.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Terrible ethics, I am appalled by the lack of creativity.

Other than that, smart move. Is a good market to try and take. Hell, I'd be tempted assuming it has no subscription fee.

EDIT: Actually, a lot of their stuff looks fun. I guess they know what they're doing, they just can't be bothered designing their own games.

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
I assumed the title meant they were copying something like the gameplay mechanics, not the races and models as well. Kind of a low blow, but people will buy what they want. This makes me think back on the article about that Minecraft clone coming out for XBL.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
I suppose if they're of good quality...
I mean, the game's industry isn't above "homages," but at the very least they should make an effort to expand from their inspiration.

My jaw literally dropped as I watched the Starfront trailers (seriously, Starfront?) because it was exactly a reskinned (and not even that obviously reskinned) Starcraft.

I mean, ok. A handheld RTS or third person shooter sounds cool. I understand you need to take inspiration from somewhere. But, my god...

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
I got extremely annoyed watching all of those videos. There's a difference between deriving ideas from elsewhere, and straight up copying them.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Frostbite3789 said:
I got extremely annoyed watching all of those videos. There's a difference between deriving ideas from elsewhere, and straight up copying them.
I guess the saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Still, it could be worse.

They could be Zynga.

VichusSmith

Oct 26, 2010
Order and Chaos? Why don't they just call it Generic Internet Game Thing if they're going to be so lazy?

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Quick signal the CLONE alarm and alert Blizzard to the fact that people are trying to make money off of their game concept.

I know Gameloft they are the people who say on the APP story for my ipod touch that their game is free and that I don't have to pay for it. Then it says it is a demo after playing for 20 minutes trying to figure out how it works and it costs 10$ to play the full version.

Also I don't see how it would work on the ipod. Their other games are hard enough to play without having lots of buttons on the screen.

jigilojoe

Mar 4, 2009
Serves Blizzard right for not getting there first, if they manage to get the controls and UI right then it could be fantastic.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Aaaand Blizzard has not done the same? Sure they havent demanded money for it, but what they did on Starcraft 2 was a pretty big 'screw you' to Valve.

scyther250

Jun 7, 2010
Watched the Shadow Guardian vid, and instantly lost any respect for them. That's not how you spell "buried" >_>

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Gindil said:
Frostbite3789 said:
I guess the saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Still, it could be worse.

They could be Zynga.
inb4 Zynga buys them, because they like their style. You know, not doing a whole lot of actual work. Making money.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Nothing is new in this world. Blizzard should get their act together and create a portable version of WoW, I can't see this being more popular when established WoW players can use their characters and items etc

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Five bucks says that one of their press reps slips up and says "Horde" instead of "Chaos" in a release.

It is a pretty lame thing to make such blatantly copied games like that. I mean, seriously, MMOs are pretty formulaic. Would it be *that* hard to make something a bit different?

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
meh so what, blizzard blatantly stole warcraft and starcraft from games workshop/warhammer but so what?

the proper response would be to release a better "offical" mobile game, and that way everyone benefits