GameMaker Studio DRM Bug Trashes Legit Resources

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
GameMaker Studio DRM Bug Trashes Legit Resources

YoYo Games says it will remove "destructive" copy protection from GameMaker Studio but won't give up on DRM.

GameMaker Studio developer YoYo Games has acknowledged that many legitimate owners of its software had their game resources permanently trashed after its DRM system went "haywire." The issue first came to light late last week when a user reported [http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?s=7b0104ff31dc74f419d77da666717b58&showtopic=561535] a "weird GM Studio error" that had changed all his sprites to skulls and crossed swords. He was initially accused of using a pirated copy of the program but a YoYo employee quickly stepped in and said that "sometimes a virus or something can effect an exe and gives some issue like this."

Unfortunately for many GameMaker users, the problem is much more widespread than just that. "Those who use a legally obtained version of Studio have had game resources, such as sprites, overlayed with an image of a skull and crossbones. The resources are permanently edited, rendered useless," a GameMaker Blog post states. "Although staff have encouraged users to run virus scans on their computers to ensure the program was not tampered with, reports of the issue have become more widespread suggesting it is an official bug and not an anomaly."

An official fix hasn't been released at this point but the "current solution" is to uninstall the program, delete %appdata%GameMaker-Studio and %localappdata%GameMaker-Studio, delete the GameMaker Studio registry key, perform a full system scan to ensure that you haven't actually picked up a virus and then reinstall the whole thing. If that doesn't work, users may contact YoYo's help desk "and we'll see what we can do to help."

It's an ugly situation, but in spite of an admission that it's "hard to argue at this stage" that DRM doesn't cause trouble for anyone but legitimate users, the studio says it won't do away with it. "We'd LOVE to be able to remove the protection completely, but we know that vast numbers would simply copy it if it was that easy," YoYo's Mike Dailly wrote. "There are many levels to the current protection system, and while many are visible like this, there are also many hidden so that we can always tell when a final game was created with a crack."

"We expect an update to go out tomorrow to remove this protection, and will move away from the 'destructive' protection like this, to more passive methods to help protect innocent users who through no fault of their own, somehow trigger it," he continued. "As to why we don't just switch into FREE mode, this is because crackers can simply activate features while the program is running, so doing this serves no purpose other than to annoy paying customers."

YoYo's desire to avoid annoying its paying customers is admirable, but I can't shake the feeling that it's going about it the wrong way.

Source: GameMaker Blog [http://gamemakerblog.com/2012/11/26/skull-crossbones-vandalize-studio-games/]

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
This is just stupid considering pirates are no doubting laughing at this article while playing their bug free version of the game they downloaded while the legitimate users are being screwed over by incompetence.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
...So I guess this is more of a reason to still use GM 8.1? From what I can tell, GM Studio only has some neat cross-platform features when compared to 8.1.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Rofl...I just bought that on steam sale, and now I'm going to ask for a refund because I didn't know it had DRM in it.

LordFish

May 29, 2012
They knew about the issue with their stupid DRM and didn't remove it? Once again genuine consumers paying the price for other people piracy.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
You trashed peoples assets and destroyed their work... are you bloody insane, you can only thank the pink fluffy lord none of them is rich enough to drag your ass to court.

People it is high time to use proper tools and show these clowns how poor business practices bite in the ass.
Unity, Unreal and Cryengine all have a free fully featured version which you can make top end games with(unlike GameMaker), move on and never look back.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Rofl...I just bought that on steam sale, and now I'm going to ask for a refund because I didn't know it had DRM in it.
It's strange that you'd find this on Steam.
I've always seen Steam itself as a form of very customer-friendly DRM in itself.

It's terribly obtrusive for them to put GM on Steam and then another layer of user-data-rewriting DRM on top of that.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
rembrandtqeinstein said:
you bought it? you wanted to make a doom clone that bad? and now you want a refund from MF STEAM? (I can tell you their answer right now: NOOOOOOOOOOOO!)

Why does gameMaker still have a pay for version? it just doesn't make sense the pay for version of GM was never that much more impressive then the free version. what did they finally allow you to introduce real models into the engine (considering that the word sprite was still thrown around in the article my guess is no.

MorphingDragon

Apr 17, 2009
Mr.K. said:
You trashed peoples assets and destroyed their work... are you bloody insane, you can only thank the pink fluffy lord none of them is rich enough to drag your ass to court.

People it is high time to use proper tools and show these clowns how poor business practices bite in the ass.
Unity, Unreal and Cryengine all have a free fully featured version which you can make top end games with(unlike GameMaker), move on and never look back.
There really isn't anything like game maker - A simple 2D game engine AND development environment. Which makes this really unfortunate.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
And people kept asking me why I hold onto old versions.
I can only imagine how it must be to have that game you have worked on for over a year irreversably destroyed because loldrm.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This is stupid. They ruined people's assets and are now claiming it's not there fault. I'll tell you who probably hasn't had a single issue with this, pirates. Idiots, they're all idiots.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
MorphingDragon said:
Mr.K. said:

There really isn't anything like game maker - A simple 2D game engine AND development environment. Which makes this really unfortunate.

You can also tie in Ogre (the engine behind Torchlight, as well as some lesser-known games) for free.

Sadly, however, my own efforts with GM and Ogre came to an unfruitful conclusion upon realizing that, for some reason, the combination of the two is absurdly CPU-limited (upgrading from a 6870 to a 7970 made no frame rate difference), and its graphical capabilities are effectively capped somewhere between Morrowind and Oblivion, on a computer that can run Skyrim (with a dozen graphics mods) at the same speed.

Still, you could probably manage a Torchlight clone with it.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
He was initially accused of using a pirated copy of the program but a YoYo employee quickly stepped in and said that "sometimes a virus or something can effect an exe and gives some issue like this."
So, known issue. Here's a big neon "fuck you" to any company that KNOWS their program ruins possibly months of the customer's hard work and thinks it's a good idea because it will annoy one or two pirates while they are still testing their cracks of the program and don't have a large volume of time and resources committed to it.

Andy Chalk said:
An official fix hasn't been released at this point but the "current solution" is to uninstall the program, delete %appdata%GameMaker-Studio and %localappdata%GameMaker-Studio, delete the GameMaker Studio registry key, perform a full system scan to ensure that you haven't actually picked up a virus and then reinstall the whole thing.
Alternately:
1) Download crack.
2) Run it.
3) There is no step 3.

Andy Chalk said:
"As to why we don't just switch into FREE mode, this is because crackers can simply activate features while the program is running, so doing this serves no purpose other than to annoy paying customers."
As opposed not doing this, which so far as only served to annoy paying customers?

This is a good money after bad thing, right? The DRM is a sunk cost, and they're so desperate to salvage it that they're burning MORE money and customer goodwill rather than admit they made a mistake and call the DRM a loss, going forward with what money and goodwill they have left.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
All this is telling me is that if I were to use this program, I should find a pirated version with the DRM cut out. There is no benefit to me to using a legitimate copy: it has higher cost and could possibly wipe all my progress due to a bug.

I'm happy to support the developer and buy their product, but you have to show me that paying for it is, at least, giving me product equal to the free version, not clearly worse. Or, if the paid product is clearly faulty and the pirated version puts me at risk.. I just won't get it at all and spend my money on something else.

DonTsetsi

May 22, 2009
Wow, just... WOW. There should be a class action lawsuit. Losing your work like that is inexcusable and could cost you a lot of money and time.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Funny maybe if their website suddenly was given the same treatment they would squik louder

I guess their website might indeed be the right place for new wall hangings...

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Disclaimer: Any claims to illegal activity I may or may not have made were entirely for the purposes of humor.

pleasedontbanme...

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Bought a game on Steam. Didn't know it had DRM. I mean, I know this is completely different DRM...but you bought a game on Steam. And didn't realize it has DRM. Think about that statement for a bit.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
So... is putting self-sabatoging, irreversible code into the DRM of your only product- the product that is your entire face to your user community- ever, EVER a good idea?