Gamer Ends up Comatose After Drinking 4-Liters of Energy Drink

PsiCoRe

Aug 20, 2012
Little known fact amongst gamers it seems. Caffeine can help when gaming but excess caffeine impairs reflexes meaning that energy drinks are actually not ideal. Sports drinks are a much better alternative as they provide energy and hydrate which improves reflexes.

azriel2422

Jul 19, 2010
It doesn't say whether or not these drinks had sugar or were sugar free, but he more likely passed out from low blood sugar and 16 hours of activity than he did from caffeine ingestion. Caffeine stimulates the sympathetic response, so whatever sugar he had in his blood was burned up a bit faster than it would have been otherwise. That coupled with not eating or drinking much of anything else, and he probably just passed out.

Pink Apocalypse

Oct 9, 2012
I'm unsure what the situation is in is country, but he may have killed himself. In America, 18 people a day die due to not getting a kidney, and the wait list is now 120,000 people deep.

http://www.salon.com/2014/03/23/the_tragedy_of_american_organ_donations_so_many_more_people_could_be_saved/

A young teen making a mistake that may cost him his life is a sad thing. But demonstrating a complete lack of compassion and figuratively kicking him when he's down is far more immature. And deeply troubling, as well.

Malty Milk Whistle

Oct 29, 2011
Thread: AHAHAHA! That teenager made a mistake! I shal ridicule him to assert my inherent superiority! I am a good person!
but seriously though, those energy drinks are fucking atrocious, one of my friends drank one every day for a summer and in addition to spending a ton of dosh also ended up with a heart palpitation.
And they smell funny.

Heathcliff84

Apr 25, 2011
Im simply amazed that he was able to even hold the last few cans.

When I was 14 I once drank 4 cans =1L and I was shaking and felt very miserable.

If he drank Redbull he consumed:

171.2g of sugar = 684.8 kilocalories: unhealthy but not dangerous.
1.28 g of caffeine : 150 to 200 milligrams per kilogram bodymass is the estimated LD50:
unlikely to be the direct cause but still possible.

One methabolite, theobromine (yes it's in chocholate too) dialates blood vessels... a alot of it could lead to shock and organ failure. again unlikely.

340 mg Niacin which can also dialate blood vessels. But no direct toxcicity is to be expected.

The B-Vitamins apart from Niacin are far below any dangerous levels.

If he can't metabolise Caffein with normal efficiency then that's the most likely cause for his problems.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Jamieson 90 said:
Christ he's 14 so cut the kid a bit of slack, we all did stupid shit at that age, we just didn't have the internet to tell the entire world about it.
I have no problem with the kid here, he is after all jsut 14.

But where the hell were his parents?

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I did a 24 hour gaming session with my cousin when the PS1 came out. lol. I dont know who is to blame, i would say parents as i dont know who else could have bought the kid 4lts of energy drink. Kids an idiot as well, though he is a kid. Thing is people drink them like they would coke or water - and companies are advertising them as such to kids. Years ago they were expensive and something an adult bought.

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
As someone who regularly stays up for 24 hours straight (working nights hurrah) that many cans for 16 hours is lame. That being said a 14 year old is functionally stupid if they're lucky.

Serioli

Mar 26, 2010
As others have said, cut the kid some slack. Yes, he did something stupid but I'm sure many of us, if not comatose, have hospitalised ourselves for stupid things. (Personal child examples include playing on building sites and not looking both ways on a one way street).

Also, regarding OMG dangerous energy drinks! From wikipedia: 2008: Jacqueline Henson, a 40-year-old British woman, died after drinking four liters of water in under two hours as part of her LighterLife diet plan.* A lot of things can be harmful if they are mis-used. (No, I am not saying water and energy drinks are exactly the same.)

* Look up water intoxication for some other interesting examples.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Serioli said:
As others have said, cut the kid some slack. Yes, he did something stupid but I'm sure many of us, if not comatose, have hospitalised ourselves for stupid things. (Personal child examples include playing on building sites and not looking both ways on a one way street).

Also, regarding OMG dangerous energy drinks! From wikipedia: 2008: Jacqueline Henson, a 40-year-old British woman, died after drinking four liters of water in under two hours as part of her LighterLife diet plan.* A lot of things can be harmful if they are mis-used. (No, I am not saying water and energy drinks are exactly the same.)

* Look up water intoxication for some other interesting examples.
But he drank eight cans in 16 hours (easy to do with water), which then caused damage to a LOT of him, not just his kidneys.

That's disturbing.

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
I think it's all the other shit on the drinks that did it, not the caffiene, not that excess caffiene is good for you.

Well... I know I've consumed 24 cans of Jolt Cola at a dreamhack(back in '99), over the course of 3 days. That's about twice the volume that he drank. I slept once during it. Those had 66mg caffeine per can, so I consumed... 1564mg of caffiene over the course of those 3 days.

I wasn't the only one either. 24 packs of Jolt Cola were everywhere at the dreamhack.

I often took 1-2 caffiene pills(100mg) in a day to get me through the day in high school, but the most I know anyone took was 10 pills in one day, their hands shook at that point, loss of motor control.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
Only 4 liters? That's not that much.
I drink more in less hours when I'm out getting drunk.
Tequila and Monster is a surprisingly nice combination.

Must be something seriously wrong with his body, seeing as the amount of potentially dangerous substances in a half liter of Monster(or any other energy drink) is incredibly low in Norway.
There's pretty much no caffeine at all for example.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Needless to day, he won't be doing that let alone touching any energy drink again!

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Crazy Zaul said:
8 cans in 16 hours isn't much, so the must have already been something pretty badly wrong with him.
It is actually. Not sure about the American stuff, but over here there's a very clear label on the energy drinks saying drinking more than two cans a day can be dangerous.

4 liters of anything sounds downright stupid. Even 4 liters of freaking water is too much.

edit:
Btw, 8 cans? Are cans half a liter where you're from? Aside from beer cans, other stuff is usually 0.33l here in cans, which would make that 12 cans.

Heathcliff84

Apr 25, 2011
Well 4 Liters of water distributed over 16 hours is not dangerous, except when your kidneys are already shot.

When i'm cycling i drink about 0.5 to 1 Liter an hour. Doesn't kill me. After riding I often weigh less regardless of me drinking said amount.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Four liters of anything is a bit much, let alone something containing a diuretic that speeds up your heart. If you consumed four liters of orange juice, you'd expect a massive case of heart burn. Even four liters of water drunk over too short a time could be harmful.

I'm glad the kid survived; fourteen is pretty young to be held accountable for fatal errors of judgement. Still, fourteen seems old enough to have foreseen bad consequences for that course of action.

That is: he didn't deserve to die; he definitely deserves to be told he's an idiot.

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
Colt47 said:
J.McMillen said:
I'm so glad I mostly gave up caffeine 11 years ago. No coffee or soda and I've never had an energy drink in my life. After around 5 years I started drinking tea again, but that's it for me. Not relying on caffeine to walk up makes waking up ,and staying up, a lot easier. It takes a week or two for the body to adjust but I felt so much better.
I drink decaf and herbal most of the time, myself. The only time I drink normal coffee is on the weekend when I'm without a keurig and we only got a pot, but even then one 8oz - 12oz cup of coffee wont exceed 160 mg. Most people are safe drinking two to four cups of coffee a day as the caffeine dosage of 200-300 mg is within the bodies ability to compensate for.
Coffee was easy for me to give up considering I never liked the stuff. Always tasted like burn water.

Kuala BangoDango

Mar 19, 2009
Good thing the kid lived in Norway where he had access to very good health care free to everyone.

If his family were poor Americans he would probably be dead. Or if he was an American with the wrong insurance company.