Gamer Gets a Trailer

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Gamer Gets a Trailer

The first trailer has been released for Gamer [http://gamerthemovie.com/], a sci-fi flick in which real people are taken over and used as pawns by players in massive and deadly real-life gaming tournaments.

Stop me if you've heard this one before: Prisoners on death row agree to take part in bloody, hyper-violent competitions, with freedom promised to anyone who survives long enough. The tournaments are immensely popular with the public but as one courageous and noble gladiator who stands above the rest begins to approach his release, the sadistic evil genius behind the scenes pulls out all the stops to keep him down.

No, it's not Michael C. Hall [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093894/] that's due for release in September 2009. In the movie's dark future, people are able to take control of the physical actions of their fellow humans, forcing them to do their bidding like puppets on a string. Naturally, this horrific technology is turned to entertainment purposes through a game called "Slayers," featuring controlled death row inmates thrown into intense, explosive battles, with the reward of freedom awaiting anyone who survives 30 games.

No points for originality, obviously, and I can't help but have a few concerns about the presence of a character named "Ludacris [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0893257/]; in other words, if you haven't seen it by the second weekend of release you're probably going to have to wait for the DVD release.

Source: Total Film [http://www.totalfilm.com/news/gamer-gets-a-trailer?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=news]

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
As a fun, mindless popcorn flick: I would totally see it.
But who expects Oscar winning excellence from this?
I'll go to watch explosions and gun play, and probably walk away happy.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
I like how they have so many famous people in this.. it could be good 8)

InProgress

Feb 15, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
As long as Mr. Butler yells "this is (insert something relative to the movie)!" i might be tempted to watch this. Although i have a sneaking suspicion i will be disappointed.
He didn't do that in RocknRolla, but it was still a great movie. Anyway, I'll watch, just don't think it'll be at the movies. And it's midless violence for today's audiences so it has promise to be a money spinner.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
At first I was expecting a reworking of eXistenz, but see it looks more like Counterstrike/Battlefeld 2: The real world edition

That said, could be a fun & mindless bit of fun for a night in once on DVD

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Malygris said:
...and it's not Death Race [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452608/]
Hey, hey, hey. Death Race is a good movie, a remake of a better movie, lets not say things we don't mean. Death Race is a decent film, fair enough not to original (well, in some ways). And no, it probably won't be as good as Death Race, but lets not judge it on that scale of excellence...

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Sounds like another explosion movie. There are a lot of those these days, maybe we should rename blockbusters to "explosion filled movie". It would be more accurate.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Well, aside from there being NO TRAILER, this looks awesome :D

I mean, what's not to love? Well, as long as they stick in plenty of asplosions and bullets, I'll see it for a laugh.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
Easy: just google "Gamer trailer" and you'll find plenty of sites you can watch it on.

Well... it looks like generic action movie. I might check it out sometime. Too bad it's named Gamer though, I thought a movie called Gamer would be more about, you know, videogames n stuff, and not Running Man 2.0 but meh...

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
"starring Gerard Butler, John Leguizamo"
Did anyone else see those 2 names next to each other and have trouble picturing them in the same movie? I mean, the last good character that Leguizamo played, was in the movie "Spawn", sooo...

Anyway, just youtubed the trailer, not bad. Looks better than some previous movies i've seen, though I will probably wait till it's on video.

BillBarilko

May 6, 2008
needausername said:
Hey, hey, hey. Death Race is a good movie, a remake of a better movie, lets not say things we don't mean. Death Race is a decent film, fair enough not to original (well, in some ways). And no, it probably won't be as good as Death Race, but lets not judge it on that scale of excellence...
I second that. Jason Statham + fast cars + ridiculous stunts + ludicrous plot + Ian McShane = hella fun.

I'll watch Gamer solely for the fact that Terry Crews is in it.

jaeger138

Jun 27, 2009
Sounds perfect for some Michael Bay action sequences, plus the guy proved he can make a sucky movie and still get rich with Transformers. Could be good, but could be Bay

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
I saw it as a preview before Transformers 2. I read about it on IMDB. I think it looks good. I'm definitely going to see it.....