Gamers Demand Dark Souls PC Port

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
People, people, chill. If you want an action-adventure hack&slash RPG-ish medieval game that's hard as hell and will murder you multiple times, regardless of how hard you try to anticipate where the next giant spinning blades or orc with giant sword will pop up from, we've already got this:

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Baresark said:
Korten12 said:
X4NDR said:
Korten12 said:
Kopikatsu said:
Korten12 said:
As I have stated before, if it has Mods, I won't buy it. If it doesn't, I will buy it again to play it on my laptop.
wat. If it has mods you won't buy it and if it doesn't you'll buy it again...?
Without going into it again, I will say this. Dark Souls doesn't support it self to mods. It is tightly crafted, the way the online works, to the world. Everything should be kept the way it was original created.
I don't see how being able to support mods would make the game any worse. I can see your train of thought but mods are completely optional. You can still play the game vanilla. No one's going to force you to download this mod or that.
Because of how the game works. The online doesn't support it. What people fail to understand is that this will BE A PORT. They will not overhaul the whole multiplayer system so then a couple of people could mod.
No offense, but what you are saying is completely irrelevant to the game. It can't conceivably support mods, but no one has even said anything about modding it or having it support mods. I for one would buy this a second time, no questions asked, if it were to show up on Steam. Mods shouldn't even begin to make or break the idea of a purchase for anyone. They are completely optional, and while the online mechanic has it's positives, there was plenty of times it was more annoying than fun. But, as with the console counterpart, it's optional.
It was talked about in the other thread. I sort of brought it into here. :p

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Korten12 said:
Because of how the game works. The online doesn't support it. What people fail to understand is that this will BE A PORT. They will not overhaul the whole multiplayer system so then a couple of people could mod.
I don't understand why modding is even a question. There are very few engines that support modding and allows script access willingly (Unreal Engine, Source, Gamebryo, etc). I've never seen a PhyreEngine game shipped with mod tools. So why all the concern here?

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
hmm, seem to recall something from total biscuit recently, coincidence, i think not.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Korten12 said:
I don't understand why modding is even a question. There are very few engines that support modding and allows script access willingly (Unreal Engine, Source, Gamebryo, etc). I've never seen a PhyreEngine game shipped with mod tools. So why all the concern here?
Oh, well I didn't know that.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Raiyan 1.0 said:
I've never seen a PhyreEngine game shipped with mod tools. So why all the concern here?
Because PC gamers are willful and disobedient and often mod games even without official mod tools being available.

Of course any game with a significant online component can be a massive pain in the arse to mod and, depending on the coding, even make it impossible to use mods on official servers.

Kyle 2175

Jan 7, 2010
This is probably going to get a lot of signitures behind it. You know why? Totalbiscuit supports it.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Keep on truckin' PC bros. You deserve the opportunity to enjoy such a fantastic FROM title.

Maybe they can port the entire Armored Core series next, and then you'll REALLY be having a blast.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Pfftt...Dark Souls is kindergarten stuff next to Dwarf Fortress or Eve. ;)
I consider myself a hardcore stradegygamer.. But even with guides Dwarven Fortress was still a big ??? to me. Im a big pictures guy, and the first might and magics are amongst some of my favorite games so you cant really say graphics matter that much to me but... I just want pictures of trees to symbolize trees q_q

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Korten12 said:
As I have stated before, if it has Mods, I won't buy it. If it doesn't, I will buy it again to play it on my laptop.
Okay first of all, mods, by their very nature, are not compatible with online play, because a mod essentially alters the version of your game. Just like the way you can't play MP if you don't have the right patch update, having certain mods installed that no one else has leaves you without MP features (or breaks the feature entirely).

Not saying people can't use mods in MP. Aesthetic mods like skin packs, decal packs, texture packs and other purely visual mods do not interfere with a game in the slightest (bar potential performance issues on the user who installs the mod).

For more comprehensive mods, like unofficial balance changes, new items/weapons with unique stats and new locations/enemies etc. it requires other people to have the same mod installed for a game to operate on MP, if at all... as I said earlier, mods can break online features.

Ultimately, however, Console ports to PC rarely if ever ship with mod tools anyway and even after that, never truly support Mods for online play, leaving it to the communities themselves to work around that obstacle (thus keeping it within that community) . For the average, un-modified joe the presence of mods changes nothing. Unless people use trainers/hacks which are a form of mod. These however, exist with or without dev support and are highly frowned upon (and breaks the ToS/CoC of most companies).

Simply put, there is no reason for the presence of mod support to affect your decision in buying the game. If you don't use them, it does not affect you at all.

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
I can defeat all the demons in Demon's Souls but I can't for the life of me get a farm going. God damn dwarfs.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Dark Souls for PC? Sure, why not?

How about a trade? PC gamers get Dark Souls if consoles get The Witcher. And don't tell me it wouldn't work out.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
So I'm guessing I'm the only one who gets a "can't find server at petitionbureau.org"?

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
chimpzy said:
Dark Souls for PC? Sure, why not?

How about a trade? PC gamers get Dark Souls if consoles get The Witcher. And don't tell me it wouldn't work out.
Quite the contrary. The Witcher 2's battle system works really well with the XBox360 controller. In fact, the devs said that the revamped combat was inspired by Demon's Soul, now that you mention it. And as far as I remember, they're working on an XBox360 port.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Oops, I wasn't finished with this quote and I forgot about it when I hit post.

Those two games aren't so much hard as so immense that it's difficult to figure everything out and I firmly believe if Dwarf Fortress was graphical instead of Ascii and had a proper tutorial it'd be far easier.

Dark Souls is hard in a much narrower way than them.

Pendragon9 said:
Keep on truckin' PC bros. You deserve the opportunity to enjoy such a fantastic FROM title.

Maybe they can port the entire Armored Core series next, and then you'll REALLY be having a blast.
I could only hope they would port Armored Core, my favourite series before I ascended to the PC gaming master race.

Disclaimer: If it wasn't obvious already, that last bit about the PC gaming master race was a joke.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Korten12 said:
Oooo-kay... But has anyone here stated that they were expecting to mod this game in the first place? I doubt it. Besides, refusing to buy a game because it can be modded is the same thing as my not buying Skyrim *because* it has mods.

I.E. it makes no sense at all.

If you'd rather play the port without mods, then just do so. Even if folks start modding it, you won't be forced into modded servers because I highly doubt that any modded content could be made to show up in vanilla game sessions. You'd probably have to end up using Hamachi or Tunngle in order to actually see mods being implemented. Even then, you'd have to somehow reverse-engineer the way Dark Souls goes online and coax it to access servers other than those it's dedicated to - which wouldn't be an easy task.

So yeah. Modded or otherwise, I'd say you're safe.