Gamers have terrible taste in music.

PekoponTAS

Mar 7, 2009
Maybe because a lot of music gamers like is video game music, and to a large percentage of the ignorant, pompous; stuck up, snooty; pretentious people who listen to "real music" from "real composers", video game music is just a bunch of "bleeps and bloops". I'm always the first to call bullshit on this and slap those people in the face, because what video game music has that bands don't have is variety. I could name you 100 awesome video game songs and every single one of them would sound completely different, wheras if you were to name the top 100 "real songs" from "real composers" I can guarantee you that about half of them or more would all sound exactly the same.

Though to be fair, with this post I may be confirming this stereotype, so take this as you will.

Vonnis

Feb 18, 2011
There's too many people who are too different who could all be called gamers to make such a sweeping statement.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
well if I remember right that bieber guy sold the most cds of anyone... at some point so I would say people have terrible taste in music

Emurlahn

Jan 13, 2010
PekoponTAS said:
Maybe because a lot of music gamers like is video game music, and to a large percentage of the ignorant, pompous; stuck up, snooty; pretentious people who listen to "real music" from "real composers", video game music is just a bunch of "bleeps and bloops". I'm always the first to call bullshit on this and slap those people in the face, because what video game music has that bands don't have is variety. I could name you 100 awesome video game songs and every single one of them would sound completely different, wheras if you were to name the top 100 "real songs" from "real composers" I can guarantee you that about half of them or more would all sound exactly the same.

Though to be fair, with this post I may be confirming this stereotype, so take this as you will.
I believe you are putting the wrong group of songs and composers into the REAL group, my friend. Anyone in "commercial music" is mostly not considered "real" by the rest of the industry.

OT: That is so much bullocks I can almost smell it, and I just had a shower, so its not me!

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
Never heard of this stereotype, and anyways is there such a thing as "bad taste" in anything, unless it's damaging? Maybe bad taste in VOLUME, but not so much in music.

Sep 17, 2009
TU4AR said:
Nautical Honors Society said:
And just because it isn't popular amongst the gaming community/you haven't heard of it before, doesn't mean it is any less of a stereotype.
So you've basically made something up and called it a stereotype to justify asking about it?

Well done you.
Nope. It is talked about frequently on numerous music boards and blogs.

There is no need to keep going on about this. You'll never admit that it is a "real" stereotype and I'll never admit it isn't, so let's stop here shall we?

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
Eh I've never encountered this stereotype before. If anything gamers generally have better than average taste in music.

Sep 17, 2009
Emurlahn said:
PekoponTAS said:

I believe you are putting the wrong group of songs and composers into the REAL group, my friend. Anyone in "commercial music" is mostly not considered "real" by the rest of the industry.

OT: That is so much bullocks I can almost smell it, and I just had a shower, so its not me!
Just because music sells doesn't mean it is bad.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
A stereotype is a gross-generalization.

And just because it isn't popular amongst the gaming community/you haven't heard of it before, doesn't mean it is any less of a stereotype.
It's mere semantics, but I'll hit you with my version:

I can make a gross-generalization out of anything: All French Men love to eat peaches.
If I'm the only person in the world who knows/holds that generalization, then it isn't a stereotype because it isn't well-known.

A common stereotype in American culture: Asians know kung-fu.
Another: African Americans love to eat fried chicken.
Another: Football Jocks are stupid meatheads.
Another: Cops eat donuts.

Those are well known enough to be exploited in popular culture, even though they are still gross-generalizations (many cross the line into racism; ask Michael Bay which one is his favorite). When they reach that level, they become stereotypes.

Based on this, when you use the term "Stereotype", I assume that the gross-generalization is going to be very well-known. I've been active among many MANY online gamer communities for a very long time and I have never seen this particular stereotype.

Thanks for patronizing me though!
You're welcome! I can also do condescension for free!
(I kid..sorry for sassing you).

Sep 17, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
A stereotype is a gross-generalization.

It's mere semantics, but I'll hit you with my version:

I can make a gross-generalization out of anything: All French Men love to eat peaches.
If I'm the only person in the world who knows/holds that generalization, then it isn't a stereotype because it isn't well-known.

A common stereotype in American culture: Asians know kung-fu.
Another: African Americans love to eat fried chicken.
Another: Football Jocks are stupid meatheads.
Another: Cops eat donuts.

Those are well known enough to be exploited in popular culture, even though they are still gross-generalizations (many cross the line into racism; ask Michael Bay which one is his favorite). When they reach that level, they become stereotypes.

Based on this, when you use the term "Stereotype", I assume that the gross-generalization is going to be very well-known. I've been active among many MANY online gamer communities for a very long time and I have never seen this particular stereotype.

Thanks for patronizing me though!
You're welcome! I can also do condescension for free!
(I kid..sorry for sassing you).
I see your point, but the stereotype is frequent on music communities, not really gaming ones.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
drengnikrafe said:
I don't understand how this is a stereotype at all. I know several gamers, and at worst their taste in music is quirky.
It is actually a pretty consistent stereotype on some of the music boards and blogs I frequent.
I'm curious as to what that stereotype entails. What music are we supposed to like that is classified as having bad taste in music? What are the music communities you frequent so that we can maybe take a look at them and further this discussion?

Information, information. Without it the best we can say is what we like and then wonder if that falls under the category of "bad taste in music".

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I see your point, but the stereotype is frequent on music communities, not really gaming ones.
The closest I've seen is someone accusing all hardcore gamers of being metal-heads.

Sep 17, 2009
KeyMaster45 said:
drengnikrafe said:
I don't understand how this is a stereotype at all. I know several gamers, and at worst their taste in music is quirky.
It is actually a pretty consistent stereotype on some of the music boards and blogs I frequent.
I'm curious as to what that stereotype entails. What music are we supposed to like that is classified as having bad taste in music? What are the music communities you frequent so that we can maybe take a look at them and further this discussion?

Information, information. Without it the best we can say is what we like and then wonder if that falls under the category of "bad taste in music".
I don't know what they mean by "bad taste" as I said in my OP (which I asked everyone to read) I disagree with this stereotype.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I have also never seen this stereotype, although all the "favourite music/bands" threads I've seen on here do seem to be a little strong on the heavy metal/screamo side.

But music is one of the most subjective things we have today. I think the main riff from Claptons "Layla" is one of the greatest melodies ever, but my dad, who likes Sinatra and Dean etc. Thinks its just crappy noise. Anyone who says that a certain genre of music is objectively all bad, is just talking elitist crap.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Do you believe this stereotype is true? Not true? Why?

Would you like to add examples to the contrary?

I for one don't believe it is true. I've seen gamers with good taste in music and bad taste in music. But it is all subjective anyway.

NOTE: Please read the OP and don't just read the title and assume I'm ignorant.
I enjoy rock, heavy metal, classical, blues, and several others. I also do not complain in the company of country, but I absolutely hate Bob Dylan's voice. The fact alone that I like Queen automatically makes my taste in music good without fail, as there are many who like them.

To say that gamers have no taste IS a stupid, silly stereotype built up by people who have no taste in games.

*Rimshot*

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
its subjective to what you call bad music. I like some weird shit, but I like stuff like Stone temple pilots and stuff too.

Chaos James

Bastion of Debauchery
May 27, 2011
Likewise, haven't heard this one before.

I also have to agree that there is a lot of varied people in the "Gamer" tag and they have a varied taste in music. I consider some having a "bad" taste (like those CoD videos on Youtube or just in general talking to them, lol) and I also see a lot of "good" taste in music (Overclocked Remix has tons of Gamers/Musicians with great twists on classic tunes, and the classic tunes themselves in games are varied and unique as the medium they are in).

In the end Gamers have a huge array of music they listen to, as they are a very large assortment of people, so generalizing them all as having "Bad" taste in music isn't true.

(Ever feel like your post is sort of moot as others have had the similar opinion? XD, I guess it just means that others share your thoughts on the matter)