Gamers have terrible taste in music.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Nautical Honors Society said:
Do you believe this stereotype is true? Not true? Why?

Would you like to add examples to the contrary?

I for one don't believe it is true. I've seen gamers with good taste in music and bad taste in music. But it is all subjective anyway.

NOTE: Please read the OP and don't just read the title and assume I'm ignorant.
That is a total falsehood, a complete and utter fabrication, a lie, a misinformed stereotype. And it can't possibly have any grounding in reality because not all gamers listen to the same music. That and taste is subjective.

P.S. I love that you put the "Please read the OP" note in the OP. 5 internet points to you.

THE M3RCENARY

May 23, 2010
TU4AR said:
You must be new here.
Thanks for sparing me the picture of Willy Wonka/Gene Wilder.
I said, "I thought this forum was supposed to be mature" not, "This forum is supposed to be mature."

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
I've got one word for that: Bullshit. Taste in music is entirely subjective, just like movies, books and video games. Anyone who agrees that gamers have bad taste in music are more full of shit than I care to go into detail about.

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
Nautical Honors Society said:
Istvan said:
As you said, it's all subjective, it all comes down to individual taste, so there is no answer to your question.
Yup taste is subjective, but there is a technical level in music that can either be matched or not matched.
It's a flawed argument because then everyone should just listen to classical, it costs alot of money to get a studio to house lots of people of a shitload of instruments all in sync, while bands like say AC/DC in comparison are really lazy and mainstream.

Condor219

Sep 14, 2010
Aha, no. Need I give examples?

The minute somebody calls those "bad music" is the minute that person receives a fist-inflicted head wound.

drengnikrafe said:
I don't understand how this is a stereotype at all. I know several gamers, and at worst their taste in music is quirky.
This.

Acenamedvlad

May 24, 2009
Most dubstep composers are gamers. I don't think how in the world this stereotype can be made.

Plus I seriously doubt this I need to see quotes before I believe this on your sites because its false for the most part. Star Ocean: Till the End of Time's soundtrack is the exact opposite of bad.

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
Nope. Musical opinion is subjective.

For example, I love gaming, and I'm also an avid Hollywood Undead fan. Not many other gamers I know like it. One friend hates it, and he likes Skinny Puppy, which I hate. But neither call out the other.

ScarlettRage

May 13, 2009
not True. personally I like a range of music, and so do most of the other gamers I know.

one guy I know, his two favourite genres of music are techno and metal. go figure.. they clash but anyway.. back to my earlier statement.

Klarinette

May 21, 2009
No way. If anything, gamers have a diverse taste in music, as a community.

Captcha: ndurbour tho.

My thoughts exactly...?

Mechanix

Dec 12, 2009
Some of them have good taste, but I hate the ones that obsess over techno (oh sorry don't call it techno or they explode, call it trance) and bash every other form of music. Yes they exist.

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
I like how everyone mentions how music is subjective while ignoring something that isn't conceptually agreed upon; what is a gamer?

If there isn't a consensus on what it means to be a "gamer" how can there be a consensus on what music gamer's listen too?

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
In my experience, the stereotype's been we have a good taste in music. Of course, taste in music is entirely subjective, so... impossible to say.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Almost all of my friends and I are gamers to some extent and we all have different tastes in music from one another, and we all tend to like some eclectic/quirky stuff, so I don't see the grounds for the stereotype.

Granted I have one friend who likes the generic, bland, radio rock that many people consider in bad taste (Three Days Grace, Buckcherry, etc.), but he's just one, and he may be the least dedicated gamer out of all of us.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
First time ive heard of this, i don't get what does this have to do with being a gamer, are you sure you didn't make this one up OP? Anyway there is nothing to discuss here, you either like a song or you don't, i'm not gonna listen to some 'good' songs just because other people like them, i'll listen to whatever i like.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Istvan said:
As you said, it's all subjective, it all comes down to individual taste, so there is no answer to your question.
Pretty much this. it can be applied to if anyone has bad taste in music

Racistman3d

Jul 6, 2009
Honestly, spending time in music forums teaches me that music nerds actually do despise video game nerds, just because they think they all only listen to anime and video game soundtracks, and crap like Nickleback, Drowning Pool and Linkin Park and other varieties of rock and metal made to appeal to 12 year olds. I think personally it comes from the stereotype that all video game nerds don't have a social life or are culturally inept, or are immature because they don't see video games as a legitimate past time for anyone over the age of 10. Not all think that, but the incredibly elitist do, and I have seen a fair few look down on video game players, who honestly don't help themselves too much with the abundance of "BLACK OPS NO SCOPE MONTAGES" with Drowning Pool in the background.

Mind you gamers come in all forms, from those that think Nickleback are the greatest geniuses in music today, to those that listen to deeply underground and obscure artists, there's all sorts and you can't generalise at all, some gamers have what seems to me awful taste, but others have fantastic taste. It's all subjective, so no one can answer that question definitively.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
umm no? or at least I haven't seen this stamp much anywhere

esp with many modern games, not just grand RPGs but even FPS games, are featuring sweeping classical tracks that I know a lot of gamers totally dig (heck, see MW2 w/ Hans Zimmer, and of course the Halo series with MARTY)

and outside game OSTs...idk if it's just based on kids on the Internet. cuz then I might be inclined to agree :p jk jk