Gamers Ready to "Graduate" From Wii, Says Take-Two CEO

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
We haven't really seen any games or any other proof that Move or even Kinect will be a good point for Wii owners to jump into. The Move has R.U.S.E. and that's it. We'll see what it'll be like in the future if the games that utilize it do it correctly.

As far as I'm concerned, he's talking out of his ass. We haven't seen any proof that they'll succeed at all.

Dr. Whiggs

Jan 12, 2008
What does Take-Two have against Nintendo? Didn't this guy spout off about not making a GTA for Nintendo then whoopsie Chinatown Wars.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Possibly, but, it might also be a natural progression onto something new. I feel though people will strick with what they know for a while though

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
This is pathetic. First of all, Wii owners aren't going to spend $500 dollars on what is essentially an upgraded Wii-remote. Second, "he's "too embarrassed" about not having an HD console."...WTF! This is the problem with the current generation of consoles and gamers- everyone is so insecure about their hobby. I could understand if he had said he was embarassed about playing a kiddie console (even though the Wii is not a kiddie console) but to be embarassed about not having HD?!?! WHO CARES ABOUT HD?!? WHO EVEN CARES ABOUT GRAPHICS?!? Non-HD is OG! Why is it that some people complain about the Wii not having HD, then play Megaman 9 and 10 and say they're amazing? (which they are) I'd personally rather play games in standard def. I prefer to not have a quarter-second delay between button presses and my actions onscreen thank you very much. This guy clearly doesn't know what makes a game good, and neither does his kid. (If he even has one)
The tech doesn't matter.........at all........only games do.

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
A mass "graduation" from Wii to Kinect and Move is definitely not going to happen. The downmarket largely doesn't care about high-definition graphics or 1:1 ratio accuracy. If they did, then they wouldn't have gotten a Wii in the first place. There's also the issue of price; a PS3 with Move and Sports Champion is $400, and Kinect by itself is $150. Until those prices start to match the Wii's prices, there's no way Microsoft or Sony can hope to steal away the Wii audience.

Midway Monster

Sep 11, 2010
So lets try and sum this up...

The Wii employs the double-lightsaber style of controller. (£159.99 (Includes Motion Plus, Wii Sports, Wii Sports resort) - Amazon)

The PS Tripple went back to the Eye-toy, but added Wii style lightsabers. WITH A COLOURED BALL (£44.00 (£269.91 with console) - Amazon)

The 360 has just gone for a really wide Eye-toy style, flailing dance-party (£124.99 (£249.99 with console) - Amazon)

Price wise, the Wii still DOMINATES Sony and Microsoft, but these technologies are new for Sony and Microsoft. Prices WILL fall eventually.

Quality wise, the proof lies in the pudding.

I feel that "Graduating" from the Wii is the wrong term to use. At first the Wii had to prove it wasn't just a gimmick console, and has done so with a range of games that aren't just "NITENDO WII SUPER HAPPY FLAIL FEST' 2010"

Sony and Microsoft can get away with Move and Kinect feeling gimmicky at first, but will have to prove that they are worth investing in.

I personally feel I will not be buying Kinect, as an Xbox owner, but will soon be buying another PS2 (yes PS2) to replace my broken one which has lied dormant for years.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Buy "graduating" I'm sure he means "spending more money for new consoles".

I'm certain that a large amount of people will see that the kinect and move don't offer anything different from the Wii.

Then again, we are talking about the same masses that made the Snuggie a success, so... I could be wrong.

I might be tempted to buy one of the other movement controls, after they prove that they're not just stupid gimmicks.
Nintendo took 3 years to prove that, I have very low hopes for the new ones.

JohnGD117

Sep 15, 2010
Motion controls seem far to difficult to implement adequately to allow you to truly connect to a game. Sure you can have decent rail shooters, but the original NES had light gun games that were on par, if not better than current wii shooters as far as controls and hit recognition are concerned. Input devices for games are going to change drastically in the next 20 years. However, I feel that an adequate motion control system (in contrast to the wii's flailing and and (at best!) marginally better kinect and move) is harder to implement successfully than any other control medium.

Kudos for trying, but coming from a guy that has TWO wiis sitting in boxes under the tv, good motion controls are a LONG way off, and possibly never going to arrive. By the time motion controls are merely RELIABLE enough to be accepted as a viable mainstream gaming medium, I would bet we're well on our way to VR.

I also point to the lack of first-party nintendo support for the motion controls in games like twilight princess and the use of motion controls merely as an aiming device "light gun" style in metroid as evidence that even nintendo sees it as an inadequate option in terms of immersion in their more "serious" games.

I am disappointed in microsoft and sony in their shameless copying of nintendo through xbox avatars (complete with chinsy xylophone music when you change your avatar) and now the double punch of kinect and move. I think they wildly miss their target audience.

Fanboys rage on.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
It's incredible how much Feder fails to understand the intended audience and why these people chose the Wii over the PS3/360. Both of the HD consoles are overshooting the market in terms of performance. The Wii audience doesn't need the "upgrade", since what they have is already adequate for the purpose they want it to fulfill. Plus, he also fails to understand that young adolescents have always been a part of the core audience.

Combined with the fact that the Wii is still cheaper than both the PS3/360 and I seriously doubt this attempt to draw in the new audience will work very well. Infact, I expect Microsoft and Sony are going to be in a world of hurt for trying to compete against Nintendo on Nintendo's terms and territory.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Well I think biased greedy game companies should just shut the fuck up already. Nobody needs to "graduate" to anything and if you honestly give into this whole Casual versus Hardcore crap then you're missing out on a lot of great titles because of their generalized distinctions in the marketplace. Especially when said companies are ripping off each other and contradicting their own statements and "innovations" time and time again.

You don't like a certain system? Don't fucking buy it. You like your system? Good, play it and stop trying to get everybody else to buy it unless they want to.

PS: If your son is embarrassed to have friends over for gaming sessions, maybe you should teach him a good life lesson about how it doesn't fucking matter and how it's better to not place so much value (especially socially) in having more expensive gear. It also sounds like he needs to find some new friends if that's all they care about. I guess you wouldn't really understand that though since you make statements like that.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
The only reason I'm getting Kinect is so I can navigate the dashboard with my hands. That's it. Maybe if they incorporate it into controller based gameplay (WELL) then I'll be interested. I don't give two shits about Kinect sports and Kinectamals or whatever it's called.

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
I am Omega said:
JaredXE said:
This would imply that we learned anything from the Wii other than "Random Stick-Waving Fu" for us to graduate from.

Motion controls are a joke and a gimmick. Good games are what matters and there really are no good games with motion controls.
Oh, yeah, this is also my veiw on motion controls. There are some good games on the Wii, but they would have been better WITHOUT the motion controls.
De Blob was fun. Red Steel 2 was fun. Bit Trip. Beat was fun.

I can't be the only person who actually enjoys well implemented motion controls, can I?

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Thorvan said:
I am Omega said:
JaredXE said:
This would imply that we learned anything from the Wii other than "Random Stick-Waving Fu" for us to graduate from.

Motion controls are a joke and a gimmick. Good games are what matters and there really are no good games with motion controls.
Oh, yeah, this is also my veiw on motion controls. There are some good games on the Wii, but they would have been better WITHOUT the motion controls.
De Blob was fun. Red Steel 2 was fun. Bit Trip. Beat was fun.

I can't be the only person who actually enjoys well implemented motion controls, can I?
Oh thank goodness I thought I was the only one