Games do a lot of stupid shit don't they?

stormtrooper9091

Jun 2, 2010
arbitrary keys for arbitrary doors, aka the "adventure game logic"

because everything else has been mentioned already

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Dr. McD said:
sageoftruth said:
What? I thought Fallout let you use explosives as an alternate way to get past locks. Then again, I've never tried it in any of the non-isometric ones.
They don't, probably because Gamebyro can't handle it (I'm not joking about that, Gamebyro is INFAMOUSLY bad for a reason).

Mr Fixit said:
Possibly, I've only played 3 & New Vegas. I really should play the older ones.
Trust me on this, you really should. That said you MUST get the Fallout FIXT and Fallout 2 Restoration Project mods. Both of these restore content that wasn't able to be implemented and in Fallout 2's case this fixes a quest that makes children stop stealing from you in one early-game town (though they don't steal from your companions and you can steal your stuff back from them).

On a related note, in a thread about what made Final Fantasy VII special I brought up how it's basically what modern RPGs try to be. It's epic, it's got a massive world with actual variety, etc. But most importantly, I used a phrase that describes my biggest perfectly problem with Bethesda and Bioware perfectly. "It doesn't matter how big the map is, the world's fucking tiny when it's limited to you."

You can't so much as take a piss without everyone getting on their knees and declaring you their king. Even worse is that despite this you can't do anything with your ridiculous reputation, town guards/cops/etc will still mock and ask if someone stole your sweetroll, and then fall on their knees worshipping you, then go back to mocking you again. Apparently in addition to all being former adventurers who retired after taking an arrow to the knee every single guard in Skyrim is a tsundere.
So true. I've tried a number of their games, and I just keep waking up somewhere in the middle of it and going, "What the hell am I doing here? After everything I've done, nothing has changed."

BTW, you basically just said that every guard in Skyrim secretly has feelings for you. That would be hilarious if they all secretly ran to their quarters, pulled out a picture of you and sighed before hastily putting it away before anyone saw them. Anyway, I get what you meant by that.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
for me im still wondering about the anatomy of animals that carry gold and health potions. SOMEWHERE

fallout 4 is a case of where you aim. if you want to get lost in the base building, etc you can but it seems to play better if you concentrate better on the main quest

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Dr. McD said:
sageoftruth said:
So true. I've tried a number of their games, and I just keep waking up somewhere in the middle of it and going, "What the hell am I doing here? After everything I've done, nothing has changed."

BTW, you basically just said that every guard in Skyrim secretly has feelings for you. That would be hilarious if they all secretly ran to their quarters, pulled out a picture of you and sighed before hastily putting it away before anyone saw them. Anyway, I get what you meant by that.
If I could I'd have drawn a picture of that to go with my post because that's exactly what I was picturing when I typed that.

More stupid shit games do: FILLER BLOAT.

In Fallout 4 your character is one dimensional, can't actually say anything different, just the same thing in different tones and is a complete idiot, and this is the price of a voiced character, with mediocre at best voice acting. This shit DIDN'T WORK BACK IN MASS EFFECT, DIDN'T WORK IN DRAGON AGE AND IT ESPECIALLY DOESN'T WORK HERE.

So it's no surprise there's base building, crafting, "exploration" (of a map made with no variety), and all the quests are "go here kill that" or "get twenty bear arses".

Contrast Fallout 1, where very few missions are about killing things and there's NO missions that consist of collecting crap.

I know people want lots of content and to be honest so do I, but you can't just reuse the same shit, especially not quests that consist of killing everything copy-pasted to fill a quota with lazy idiot devs saying that's "lot's of content". It's not "a lot of content", it's the same content copy-pasted over and over.

Modern game devs need to ACTUALLY FIGURE OUT WHAT KIND OF FUCKING GAME THEY ARE TRYING TO MAKE, WORK ON THAT FIRST, THEN WORK ON THE OTHER SHIT.
A comic of that would be so funny. Be sure to give the guards anime eyes in one of the panels.
In defense of open world games with voice acting, Witcher 3 handled it pretty well. Of course that's basically game of the year for 2015, so unless it starts a trend, voice acted open world games are pretty screwed.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
pookie101 said:
for me im still wondering about the anatomy of animals that carry gold and health potions. SOMEWHERE
It's not the gold and potions that bothers me, it's when the deer you just killed has an "epic +25,000 axe of deer slaying" that's larger than itself on it.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Try to enter house, door is locked

A fully opened window is right next to it, won't let me go through it.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Artina89 said:
Classic Final fantasy (it applies to Pokemon as well) with its turn based combat system has always amused me, just the idea that you would just wait patiently while someone is gearing to knock the stuffing out of you as opposed to running away or just hitting them repeatedly seems a tad strange, but then again, that is the beauty of games, they allow you to suspend all belief for a little while.
Turn based is meant to simulate a live action battle but with the ability to stop time so you can make decisions. Ever notice how active battle systems often let you only control one party member? Turn based fixes that.

No one is really standing there waiting for their turn while you beat the shit out of them.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
MarsAtlas said:
Anywho, Payday 2. There comes a point when you've advanced enough that you get a pair of sunglasses as a mask. It ends up so that people are calling the army on you for wearing sunglasses.
To be fair, when you mask up you also pull out your gun. So, somebody is walking past the bank, and a dude puts on his dark glasses and pulls out his minigun and rocket launcher...I don't think it's the glasses that are he issue...

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Artina89 said:
Classic Final fantasy (it applies to Pokemon as well) with its turn based combat system has always amused me, just the idea that you would just wait patiently while someone is gearing to knock the stuffing out of you as opposed to running away or just hitting them repeatedly seems a tad strange, but then again, that is the beauty of games, they allow you to suspend all belief for a little while.
I find that funny too :p I mean, I totally get why it exists and how it's a necessary evil, but at the same time...

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
Stealth AI in...well....just about every game with stealth that has ever existed.

We saw someone trying to break in? Well, it's been a good minute so they're probably gone by now.
My fellow guard hasn't responded to me talking to him? Eh...he's probably good. He's always been so shy.
My fellow guard just took a bullet to the brain and is dead?!?! Well...it's been a minute so that bad guy probably ran away by now.

For some strange reason, the only game I can think of that actually handled it pretty well (though I'm sure it's not the only one) was Splinter Cell Chaos Theory (I think it was CT; I know it was one of the Splinter Cell games). If the bad guys see you, they do their normal "Look around for a minute or two" but the big difference is that they call in more people AND they get better equipment (like body armor). They are also more alert for you since they know that you're SOMEWHERE in the area and they just haven't been able to find you yet.
The Batman games did this too. If you get revealed to the enemy, they stay alert, and start actively seeking you, destroying some of your hiding spots to restrict your freedom of movement.

OT: When the character shows to be a bullet sponge for hours of gameplay, eating bullets left and right and surviving. And then getting a grazing shot to a shoulder or something in a cutscene, and being totally incapacitated, at the mercy of the enemy.

Auron225 said:
Artina89 said:
I find that funny too :p I mean, I totally get why it exists and how it's a necessary evil, but at the same time...

9 minutes 18 seconds...9 MINUTES 18 SECONDS!!

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
Auron225 said:
Artina89 said:

Oh yeah, turn based combat was a big part of the games I played as a kid, so there is a certain nostalgia associated with it, but at the same time it didn't completely make sense to me as a child. I need to watch DBZ abridged. I haven't seen it in ages.

WeepingAngels said:
Turn based is meant to simulate a live action battle but with the ability to stop time so you can make decisions. Ever notice how active battle systems often let you only control one party member? Turn based fixes that.

No one is really standing there waiting for their turn while you beat the shit out of them.
Ah OK, thanks for the clarification, I thought it would be something like that, but as a kid it just seemed quite bizarre.

Mike000

Nov 22, 2007
In no particular order:

You can bring a tank to the sniper fight in MGS V...and it still just knocks her out.

In Diablo II, the clouds of gnats that tended to carry full suits of plate armor.

In way too many games: Mmmmm. Food looted off a zombie in a sewer. Time to eat!

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
WolvDragon said:
Asita said:
Guard: "Let me guess. [mocking]Someone stole your sweetroll[/mocking]"
Me: "Dude, I'm a thane in this hold, I took care of your dragon problem, I'm harbinger of the companions, archmage of the college of winterhold, a damn war hero, and I've had tea and biscuits with Skjor in Sovengarde! And that's just the stuff you might have heard about! Now let's try that again without the attitude"

Oh Bethesda...
It's not as bad as the insane amount of disrespect your character goes through in Fallout 3. Every fucking NPC is a dickwad in just about every place in the god damn wasteland!
Well in fairness, it's not so much the disrespect as it is the disconnect, as perhaps best illustrated by the Khajiit picture (the guard is surprised that cat ears have fur in them). A single guard in Skyrim can acknowledge you as a member of the Dark Brotherhood with a plea to your better nature[footnote]"Now, I know who you are. And... and I know your business... Just, please... These are good folk we got here. Mostly..."[/footnote], and then in the very next line mock you with the aforementioned sweetroll line before following that up by praising you for saving the land and [their] very souls, and finishing it off with the snarky line "So you can cast a few spells? Am I supposed to be impressed?". None of those lines are bad, it's just that the problems of how they were implemented become more and more obvious as you advance through the game.