Games Don't Need Movies

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Movies need games, though.

Think about it.

You're a studio with a whole team of actors, casters, set producers and animators, just sitting around. No place to go because the forbidden den known as the 'Writers' Room' to some and 'Hell on Earth' to others has become so overloaded by pizza crusts and visits from the Devil that there's not a creative mind in the house. What better way to get all these people up and working again than to gain the liscence for a game-into-movie. After all, most of these games must have good plots, otherwise people wouldn't play them, right? Plus you have the audience already there, and finally a whole, working, visual model upon which to base any ideas on.

We play games to interact with the story, certainly. But personally, I am one of those guys who prefers an exceedingly linear, nicely-scripted plot (HL2, Portal, Bioshock to an extent) to one which allows meaningless playtime sucked up into 'free-roaming environments' which fail to accomplish little but add to frustration with irate side-quests and shallow NPCs (STALKER, Oblivion). At the end of the day, I play the vast majority of my collection for the great (albeit faux) character interaction which the scene is giving the impression of presenting to me as a player. Of course at the end of the day, I'm still being pulled along on a very thick rope to a goal which is imminent and final. But I still have fun on the way.

Films based on games are for people like me; true listeners to the story. The problem with movies being used as an alternate medium to connote the message originally put out on the former format is this: It lacks that level of satisfication and does not provide enough time for the finer details to be appreciated. We all loved the credits of Final Fantasy 8 because you've just spent the last thirty hours of your own life using and learning about those characters whose tales are now concluding. I certainly absorbed more of Eli Vance's death sequence in Episode Two of the Half Life saga (sorry for the spoiler if you've been hiding under a rock for the past three months) because of the epic battle that preceeded it. Plot and development has always been a way of rewarding players and forcing them to go on just that little bit further with the game.

Movies are your reward for paying the guy at the counter six pounds for a ticket into the screen.

RYjet911

May 11, 2008
I think one of the major problems behind films based on games is that people expect the films to be exactly like the games. As part of the article said, it wasn't expected of the RE films to be a couple of people wandering a mansion pushing blocks around and solving puzzles, but even if it just loosely followed the story and had a group of people wandering around a mansion, it wouldn't fill a movie. The only reason it filled a game was because of all the block pushing and puzzle solving.

The main reason why I liked the Resident Evil films is largely because of the fact they were taking steps away from the games. The character Alice I thought was a pretty interesting one, besides her spell of Fahrenheit Syndrome in the third film, and it was nice to see a new character introduced. (Forgive me if the character was in the RE games at some point, I've only played the RE1 Gamecube remake and RE4.)

It's also why I even enjoyed the Super Mario Bros. film. I really wasn't expecting a film based off a fat plumber jumping on reptiles and punching blocks, before beating up a turtle shelled dinosaur and rescuing a princess, because it would have been boring.

Instead the film used a much darker tone of how the Mushroom Kingdom came to exist, why and how the Mario Brothers came to finding this land in the first place, and it's nice to see Luigi get a chance of being in the spotlight for a change, while Mario just gets kissed by Big Bertha. ^_^

However, apart from those exceptions of game based movies I enjoyed, I've not enjoyed any others.

stratta one

Jun 27, 2008
games like half life and final fantasy where the main character says nothing more than yes, no, more potions please, or in gordons case nothing at all, are the games that dont need movies. Are they going to ruin those fine (Excluding ff) games? no their going to rape their eyesockets raw.

Jul 9, 2008
blackadvent said:
Kane & Lynch (Willis & Thornton?)
Are you talking about the movie who's name I can't remember about the "Sleepover Bandits"? That wasn't based off any game, let alone Kane and Lynch.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
RYjet911 said:
I think one of the major problems behind films based on games is that people expect the films to be exactly like the games. As part of the article said, it wasn't expected of the RE films to be a couple of people wandering a mansion pushing blocks around and solving puzzles, but even if it just loosely followed the story and had a group of people wandering around a mansion, it wouldn't fill a movie. The only reason it filled a game was because of all the block pushing and puzzle solving.

The main reason why I liked the Resident Evil films is largely because of the fact they were taking steps away from the games. The character Alice I thought was a pretty interesting one, besides her spell of Fahrenheit Syndrome in the third film, and it was nice to see a new character introduced. (Forgive me if the character was in the RE games at some point, I've only played the RE1 Gamecube remake and RE4.)

It's also why I even enjoyed the Super Mario Bros. film. I really wasn't expecting a film based off a fat plumber jumping on reptiles and punching blocks, before beating up a turtle shelled dinosaur and rescuing a princess, because it would have been boring.

Instead the film used a much darker tone of how the Mushroom Kingdom came to exist, why and how the Mario Brothers came to finding this land in the first place, and it's nice to see Luigi get a chance of being in the spotlight for a change, while Mario just gets kissed by Big Bertha. ^_^

However, apart from those exceptions of game based movies I enjoyed, I've not enjoyed any others.
they expect the films to be like the games because it has the same goddamn title as the games! its an adaptation of the game, so why bastardise the games plots by changing everything? because they want money thats why.

yes, a plumber jumping on things would be boring, but thats why you don't make a film about it at all. They kept the name because they would get two sets of audience, the people who played the games, and the regular film going audiences, so thats twice the payout.

P.S F*CK HOLLYWOOD

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
I think that the best way to make a video game movie is to set it within the franchise, but not base it on a game in the franchise. Dead Space did this with the prequel movie Downfall, and that turned out to be pretty good. The main problem with this is making it so that it can stand on it's own as a movie, while still continuing (or setting up) the story from a game so fans will find it worth watching.

I guess the problem with game movies is that the storylines for most games are homages to movies. Max Payne for example is basically just a video game version of a classic film noir revenge story that's been done many times before, so what's the point in turning it into a movie again?

Shadow88

Oct 15, 2008
I say stop these crappy movies.

I also hated the Silent Hill movie. I was a smear against Christians.

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
I think game movies could work really well

They just need to adapt the formula used by most good movie games

Instead of telling the story from the direct media, make it a side story, or maybe even a prequel

It should work then, but who knows. That might not even be enough to save them.

Great post.

FreedanZero

Jul 3, 2008
Just to affirm the fact that games should not be movies, here is a fake movie trailer I made for a class...

Elite Beat Agents: The Movie [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IgU0JtuUuY]

Nov 12, 2008
All of them, games are an interactive media, movies are not, unless you count the assholes who talk to the screen. I have yet to see a video game movie that doesn't murder the source material, well maybe Postal.