Game's Ending Songs that are beautifully with AND without context

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
Vault101 said:

for a while I couldnt even listen to that song..its just so....uuugggghhh fuck that game for making me depressed
God, i forgot how awesome that ending song is... and how depressingly sad that ending was.. :'( now I feel all sad and melancholy.. Damn you Red Dead Redemption for tugging at my heartstrings..

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
madmurch said:
My choice would be The Best Is Yet To Come from the end of Metal Gear Solid. A hauntingly beautiful piece of music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyE0UabtLn0
Ninja'd, by you and the people mentioning Mass Effect and RDR too. All very nice compositions.

- Omni ^_^

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
Aidinthel said:
I have been beaten to all three games that I came here to mention: Mass Effect, Bastion, and Red Dead Redemption. In fact, I haven't even played RDR, but I love Dead Man's Gun anyway.

This thread got me wondering: is it possible for a song to only be beautiful outside of context? As in, it just doesn't work with the game it's matched to but is great when the listener can imagine their own context?
dude, go play Red Dead Redemption. Its an awesome game, and remembering its awesome storyline somehow makes Deadman's Gun seem so much sadder to listen to .-.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
What, No Kingdom Hearts yet? Hell, the music in the commercial is what originally caught my attention.

KH1
KH2

Rhymer

Jan 25, 2011
The Madman said:
Oh that's easy:

Easily the best game soundtrack of the year.
Well, ninja'd four times on the first page. Damn.

With or without context this piece as well as all the other songs from the soundtrack are simply superb. Man, now I have to go play Bastion again...

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Wait, two pages in and no 'You Were There' from ICO? For shame!

http://youtu.be/XWVij6r4QBw

The Coop

Nov 11, 2009
Batman (Genesis) "Ending Theme"

Castlevania: Bloodlines (Genesis) "Requiem for the Nameless Victims"

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
tthor said:
dude, go play Red Dead Redemption. Its an awesome game, and remembering its awesome storyline somehow makes Deadman's Gun seem so much sadder to listen to .-.
I don't have either a PS3 or an Xbox, or I would have. And I've already read about the story.

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
Not an ending song but in Saints Row The Third the licenced use of "Need a Hero" in the last mission was great.