Games Everyone Seems to Care About that You Don't

psicat

Feb 13, 2011
The Half-Life series. The first was pretty much average at best. Half-Life 2 though was unimaginably boring and tripe.

Reginald

May 9, 2012
The Pokemon series. If I wanted to get attacked by strange critters whilst walking through long grass I'll do it in my back yard. That, and I feel that catching 'em all isn't really worth the trouble.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Most, if not all, Bioware and Blizzard games, as well as Half-Life. Having never been truly and utterly invested in either (give or take a few exceptions), I was able to side step feelings of disappointment, wounded betrayal, and severe gaming blue balls for a game that has supposedly been in development for a long time and has failed to/has yet to deliver.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Terminate421 said:
Half-life 2 sucks

Simple as that, there is no "for it's time" when it comes between me and that game, it's boring as fuck.

I can't stand uncharted either.
but isn't drake just the coolest guy ever? don'tcha just love him?

hahaha [small/]fuck you too nathan drake...I wish you died in that desert[/small]

johnnnny guitar

Jul 16, 2010
Mass effect 3 everyone was saying that despite the ending the game was one of the greatest games of all time I couldn't disagree more I tried to do a replay recently and was bored out of my mind the first and second one were good though.

90% of Nintendo main titles I like the occasional mario or zelda at a friends house but they are so interchangeable with another game in the series.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Vault101 said:
[i/]waaahhh! my game didnt get a high enough score!!!! it deserves 100%! not 99.99%!!"[/i]
This is sooo true, bitching over a few percentage points is for children. Most 90% titles are overrated or dare i say it bought off anyway.

The whole rating system is flawed and i find it hard to buy a game alone on a number. The best way is try it out yourself. I have this slightly odd habit checking out reviews of games i already have just to look how much i have with the reviewer in common and on how many levels i tend to agree. It can be alright for this one game and i can have a different opinion on another, while it`s the same reviewer. For me this whole rating system doesn`t work out. No need for someone telling me when i can have my own opinion. I still use ratings for a barebone overlook which game i could check out next, sometimes when they say it`s good, it really is good.

Some of my most beloved games have gotten slightly over medium scores when i take the time and check metacritic. If i would go by highscores with every game my collection would be smaller and i would have missed real good stuff. Which get`s me to the next point. I really dislike people who are trying to tell me this or that game is shit because of it`s scores. Piss off tools, when i have played it and like it i don`t need your score talking.

It´s as silly as system wars in general. With more time and money i would go multiplatform.

Oops, a bit to off topic, sorry.
Half Life 2, Bioshock and Skyrim didn`t do nothing for me. No need for trashing them, it just weren`t my games. I liked the character editor of Skyrim, i like Orcs, but it felt a lot like playing a human in a costume (maybe i was doing it wrong?).

Don't taze me bro

Feb 26, 2009
There are only a few franchises and series I just couldn't get into, despite playing. The main ones would be:
1. Assassin's Creed.
2. Hitman.
3. Splinter Cell.

There's a bit of a theme happening here. I guess the stealth oriented assassin gameplay just isn't for me.

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
Bioshock.
It was pretty but in my eyes bland. After 10 minutes I got so bored I had to turn it off. The next day I tried again because so many people like it. But still, it sucked. So turned it off, uninstalled it and sold it to a friend. Never played it since and by god never felt the urge to.

Fallout
after 3 hours it still sucked so I thought to myself: screw this. I have a love/hate relationship with bethesda.

Any fps depicted in WWII or the middle east. I HATE COD FANBOYS (and yes caps are needed to emphasize my hate). Some twat comes up to me exclaiming how he's a real hardcore gamer because he plays COD with his friends: FUCK YOU YOU IGNORANT TWAT. I'm not much of a fan of the term hardcore gamer. But he didn't even know who developed the game, the bigot. If you must classify gamers as noob/casual/hardcore/leet, playing COD for 2 hours a week does not make you hardcore. Thinking that you are just makes you an ignorant bigot twat DOUCHE. And the only cure is going outside behind the shed and clubbing yourself in the face with a mace.

/end rant

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
Assassin's Creed, I bought the first and got given the second but found them really quite dull.

WoW/LoL/MMO's in general.
I don't know why, I just...they're boring, I play them and they're boring and you want me to pay money to be bored? I don't understand.

Valve games, exempting Portal.
Meh, Half Life doesn't excite me, TF2 doesn't excite me...they seem like good games, I just don't want to play.

Mass Effect
I played DA:O and 2 and found them okay but can't muster any enthusiasm for ME.

Starcraft/2/any RTS
I just can't find them interesting, I enjoyed Warcraft 2 when I was a kid and Warcraft 3 was quite fun but I just don't want to play those games.

TotalerKrieger

Nov 12, 2011
I was a BF1942 addict and played my fair share of BF2 but I have never felt compelled to even try BF3. I found BC2 a bit dull and BF3 just looked to be more of the same. I think I just dislike the modern setting, as I did enjoy the Vietnam expansion for BC2.

So many acronyms!

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
Absolutely anything from Bioware, Blizzard, Bethesda, or Valve (except for Left 4 Dead, which I had fun with, though it wasn't even developed by Valve, come to think of it), Minecraft, and... that's all I can think of for now, though those first four companies include quite a few of the usual suspects.

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
ReinWeisserRitter said:
Absolutely anything from Bioware, Blizzard, Bethesda, or Valve (except for Left 4 Dead, which I had fun with, though it wasn't even developed by Valve, come to think of it), Minecraft, and... that's all I can think of for now, though those first four companies include quite a few of the usual suspects.
Not an rpg fan I take it? I always found that strange. I can understand that you don't like most RPG's. But not that you don't like any. I'm not really a FPS kind of guy but I do like some (for example crysis).

karcentric

Dec 28, 2011
Final Fantasy, and JRPGs in general. I fail to see the appeal in lots of cutscenes little interaction and dull combat.

Also, fighting games like DOA, Tekken and just because I can add it Smash Bros, again... what's the point? The more story you add the less I want to play.

LiftYourSkinnyFists

Aug 15, 2009
Assassins creed, Bioshock, Mass Effect series, Crysis, HalfLife, Any Star Wars game, Hitman, Any battlefield game post #2 and the entire Final Fantasy series.

I'm beginning to fall out of love with gaming, Hopefully something decent will rear its head soon.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Borderlands, Assassins creed, Dead Rising.

I'm particularly annoyed at Assassins creed right now, for their trailers of "American Patriotism" [Yes, I'm looking at you live-action trailer] and starting then riding the flame war for easy marketing. Last week I didn't care about Britain being the bad guy, it's just a game and it is a war that not many games have covered yet.

What's really grinding my gears [Yay family guy!] is the fact that Ubisoft is repeatedly putting out trailers of the protagonist killing Brits or just Brit-hating and I swear they're shit-stirring the internet for their own greedy marketing reasons.

It doesn't help that they said (months and months ago):
John Funk said:
Assassin's Creed Devs Don't Hate the British - Ubisoft Montreal doesn't have any latent anti-British or overwhelmingly pro-American sentiment behind its next climby-stalky-stabby game. The story is "not meant to be [British] loyalists versus [American] patriots," he [Ubi Montreal AC3 writer Corey May] said.
Even though every single fucking trailer they've release shows the contrary. Fuck Ubisoft. They have turned ALL but one of their franchises into watered down variants for "broader appeal"; now they're deliberately feeding off a flame war ... which they could have easily side-stepped just by showing the protagonist kill one bloody Templar patriot.

They say it's Templars vs Assassins and not patriots vs loyalists, but all the Templars are loyalists... How can they not see their own damn correlation?

...and the lack of French soldiers in this war of with patriots is disturbing . Isn't there suppose to be nearly as many French soldiers as patriots helping to beat the loyalists?

/rant

So yeah, it's hard to say I don't care about Assassins creed at the moment, but only reciently have I gone the other way with it. I didn't buy Revelations (looked indifferent to the prequels and thus didn't care) and I disagree completely with their current marketing scheme for AC3, despite not having a problem with the game itself. I saw this flame-war raging on in a Halo 4 video for fuck sake. I now hate Ubisoft until they treat their older fans with respect and stop practically bullshitting when marketing.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
iseko said:
ReinWeisserRitter said:
Not an rpg fan I take it? I always found that strange. I can understand that you don't like most RPG's. But not that you don't like any. I'm not really a FPS kind of guy but I do like some (for example crysis).
My single biggest problem with western RPGs is that they have very little focus.

What they try to do is imitate Dungeons and Dragons, where you have your own character, backstory, and choose what to do in a given situation, placed in a world of endless possibilities. The major difference with Dungeons and Dragons is that you have an actual person reacting to your decisions on the other end, so what you do and say not within the game's plot to begin with can have impact... assuming that person does it.

That never happens in western RPG video games, though, mostly because it reasonably can't. Choice is one of two things: an alternate dialogue tree that may affect something someone says then or later and little else, or an opportunity to get morality points (a stupid and awful system I can't stand, by the way).

The result is a protagonist that never feels like a person. Nothing they do is consistent or within reason - you can be a paragon of virtue for 90% of the game, then eat a baby in public out of nowhere, and barely anyone will notice, and if they do, it can be rectified by doing them favors for twenty minutes or so, for example - no one reacts to anything they do on a long term scale. All of the "choice" presented is hollow, superficial, and without long-reaching context or consequence, and thus the feeling that nothing the character does matters pervades, and that the character themselves is just a boring, blank slate. Sure, I can make them out to be something interesting, but that's no merit of the developer's work; it just means what I came up with is more entertaining to me than they did, and that's poor game design in my opinion. When you make a game revolve around one person, and that person is nothing - faceless, emotionless, nameless - then your game itself has nothing to stand on, as far as I'm concerned, and it takes me out of the experience every time.

And that's just my gripe about the protagonist. The plots are also largely unfocused, the narrative waits for as many pointless fetch quests as the game has (which is a lot), and there's no sense of urgency to anything you do. You just feel like you're there, and I'm not the sort of person who's impressed by the scope or size of a world; I need to feel like something important is happening. There has to be something worthwhile or important to do, and there just rarely is.

I also tend to find actually playing the game to be clunky and tiresome, again bogged down by the overabundance of superficial choice. Combat's often boring, there are usually too many menus, and I have to spend too much time slogging through tons of skills and abilities that often aren't very useful looking for the constant in these games: "kill everything around me". I also find the tons of generally useless loot and having to constant fight with limited inventory space to make room for the stuff that stinks the less.

On the more shallow side, I also think most of them are just ugly, with bad art design and poor aesthetics, and that the music is generally generic, forgettable orchestral scores that sound fine, sure, but aren't catchy or memorable in any way. Shrug.

The funny thing is I don't even care about characterization or plot in video games, but that's generally all these games have, with anything that isn't those things just there to be there, so the nagging flaws I find are front and center at all times. It doesn't work for me. These just aren't games that appeal to my interests, because they don't have what I look for in a game. And there's nothing wrong with that.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Mario - I just can't get myself to play more than a couple of levels
Zelda - Never attracted me (except Ocarina of Time, probably because of the age I was when I first played it)
Dragon Age - Too generic and empty for me. After I finished the first game, my first thought was: "is this it?"
Minecraft - Everyone says it's 'just the game for me', but I never felt the slightest urge to go play it.
The older FF games (before X) - Tried some of them, but they didn't interest me at all.
Fallout NV - Played it a lot, but in the end it didn't cut it for me the way Fallout 3 had. Apocalypse in a desert, how interesting...

Vamantha

Aug 2, 2011
Halo series: I played a bit of the first game and it was just awful and bland to me. Which wouldn't be a bad thing if it would just go away and die. It doesn't and I'm asked regularly if I play Halo Or I find myself being dragged into an hour long session of fanboy gushing. Just go away Halo... Please? :<

Mario: I liked most of the Mario games and they were a sweet memory as a child. This series of games became a nightmare for me when I started dating. Then on a glorious day of sungshine and skittles I met a Nintendo fanboy and I've never been alright since. Finally Nintendo pissed me off with working it to death. It feels like 80% of their games are about or have Mario in them. Does this guy ever get a vacation?

Fallout 3: I had medical issues with this one. I don't know what it was but I would get incredibly sick playing it within 10 minutes. And as a weird result I got a lot of flack for not being able to play it. I seriously lost friends over this. Some people even went as far to force me to play the game to make sure I wasn't making it up.

Tekken: It's just so god damn boring. D:<

Minecraft: It's boring and seems more like a game you mindlessly dick around in. I don't quite undersand how if you don't play Minecraft your not a hardcore gamer or a "real" gamer. It just doesn't make sense to me. :/