Games Everyone Seems to Care About that You Don't

Ruzinus

May 20, 2010
A lot of people in this topic seem to care very much about the games they're mentioning, just in a negative way.

It's also curious how many people have come to the conclusion that Assassin's Creed games are bad without having ever played any of them.

You can say that nothing you've seen about them makes you want to play them, but you can't make a claim that it's... how did the one guy put it? "Doing what I have done before in a worse way is not my idea of fun." Ah yes, that.

Brad Calkins

May 21, 2011
I never actually cared about Mass Effect, I played the first one and enjoyed it a bit, but was never really interested enough to actually buy the sequels or even finish the first game.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
Chrono Trigger. I dig the music, the concept, and the clear attention to detail put into this game. After all of that, I still feel super disconnected from the story, the characters are a little one note, the combat is dull, and all in all, I can't stick with it for too long (despite many tries). I love SNES era JRPGs, but for whatever reason, Chrono Trigger is at the bottom of that barrel.

Also current gen Rockstar, where each new game is a variation on what I feel to be fundamentally flawed gameplay.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
future games: watchdogs. im not saying it looks bad, but everyone seems to be going crazy over it and i just dont see the big deal

games already out:
kotor. its not even that i dont care about this game, i fuckin hated it. i love rpgs but i hated the characters, found the story predictable, and the combat bored the hell out of me.

dragon age origins. never play DA2 but origins was a game i was really excited about because it was supposed to be influenced by baldurs gate. i thought it was decent but not even on the same level as baldurs gate. some of the characters were interesting but the story was mediocre and the combat felt way too simplistic

CityofTreez

Sep 2, 2011
Aurora Firestorm said:
Bioshock. Because System Shock is better (and deserves a sequel, Irrational) and steampunk is really overrated.
How is that even being fair toward Bioshock when they're not the same franchise?

OT: I'll say Fallout 3. Wondering through a large wasteland for hours is not fun. The story was boring, the gameplay mechanics were bad and the whole game felt clunky.

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
piinyouri said:
I hate to throw my lot in with the masses on this one, but Half Life.

Played it on TOB. Really wasn't experiencing what everyone else was apparently.
This video explains very well why Half-Life doesn't impress new players like it did when it came out:

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
Irreducible Sohn said:
Aurora Firestorm said:
Bioshock. Because System Shock is better (and deserves a sequel, Irrational) and steampunk is really overrated.
How is that even being fair toward Bioshock when they're not the same franchise?

OT: I'll say Fallout 3. Wondering through a large wasteland for hours is not fun. The story was boring, the gameplay mechanics were bad and the whole game felt clunky.
Because Bioshock took SS2's story and plopped it into inferior gameplay with a trite "moral choice", then got universal acclaim for being innovative.

Also, people are using games they dislike. I took the thread to mean games you're just completely indifferent to, which for me would be most Japanese games. Even ones I can acknowledge are good, like Okami or Xenoblade Chronicles, don't interest me in any way.

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
Mass Effect, this is funny because just yesterday I had quite a lively arguement about wether or not Mass Effect is good, he kept saying that the trilogy is the best thing that's happened this gen while I kept saying it's shallow universe and samey characters didn't hold a candle towards games like Bioshock, MGS, RDR and so on. Now don't get me wrong I've played Mass Effect 2 and 3 and while I liked them while I was perhaps in the middle point of both games I started really to hate them towards the endings and never found a reason to go back after playing them. IMO Telltale's The Walking Dead is already 10 times deeper than Mass Effect ever was.

Other big games I just didn't care for are Dragon Age, Gears, Halo, Portal, Saints Row and perhaps more, can't really be bothered to remember games I don't care for :p

Praetox

Feb 22, 2012
Ocarina of Time. Played it as a kid, and it bored the crap out of me. Tried it again recently, and it's still just as boring to me

Childe

Jun 20, 2012
COD and Battlefield....never got the hype over those games. not that fun and its no fun to play a game about things that happen for could happen everyday.

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
Mass Effect. Maybe it was the boring start, but I could never get myself to play this after the intro sequence.

not that I disliked it and thought it was crap, it's just not my cup of tea

HyperDavidovich

Sep 2, 2011
All of the following franchises:
Halo
Gears of War
Final Fantasy (This one's a shame, because I used to be a HUGE fan)
Kingdom Hearts
Call of Duty/Modern Warfare/all military FPS games
Fable (kills me to say this because I loved the hell out of Fable 1, but I hated 2, and thought 3 was merely average)
Minecraft (tried the demo, it was "meh" for me)

May 5, 2010
I don't know. I was hearing about how awesome "Dragons' Dogma" is/was going to be for weeks before I bothered to find out what the hell it even was. Does that count?

Also, any big PC-exclusive game, such as WoW or Diablo 3.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Mass Effect 3. I mean, I'll probably play it eventually, but even after finishing ME1 and ME2 I wasn't totally desperate to get ME3 right after release. I'll get to it when I get to it (probably whenever I can catch it on sale for a good price).

dreadedcandiru99

Apr 13, 2009
Tuesday Night Fever said:
I might take a lot of flak for this... but oh well... Mario.

Now, don't get me wrong here... I grew up as a Nintendo kid. I owned every system they put out (console -and- handheld, yes, even the goddamn Virtual Boy) between the NES and the GameCube. Despite this, I -never- cared for Mario games.

So yeah... when I'm watching, say, "Escape to the Movies" and every other week there's a mid-credits clip from Moviebob gushing over Mario-themed plushies with tanooki suits or whatever... ugh. I just don't understand that fanaticism.
Same here. I mean, not that bit about the Virtual Boy, but pretty much everything else. We had an NES/SNES growing up, plus my dad used to own a couple of video stores that carried games. So I'm pretty sure I played just about every Mario game up until, I don't know, 1995 or something. But I never really cared that much about them. They were just there to kill time, like the video-game equivalent of paddleball. So now I see people gushing over Super Mario Galaxy or whatever the last one was, and I'm like, "So what? It's still the same cartoon guy jumping on the same mushroom things. Meh."

Also, Zelda. I've never cared about Zelda. I played the first one a few times, then got tired of it.

CrazyJew

Sep 18, 2011
Definitely Mass Effect. I tried it, it didn't tickle my pleasure points like KOTOR did, I gave up.