Games Everyone Seems to Care About that You Don't

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
Assassin's Creed is also my choice. A couple of my friends are really into it, but it just looks so boring and a little, well, stupid. Space Alien/Papal conspiracy? Please.

MetricFurlong

Apr 8, 2010
The Elder Scrolls series in general, Skyrim and Oblivion in particular. This would probably be the biggest example. Level-scaling has always struck me as rather defeating the point of having a levelling system in the first place. Sandbox has never really been a huge appeal to me either, hence why I've never really felt compelled to finish them.

Dragon Age would be a secondary example since I own them, but don't quite get what all the fuss is about it. As far as I saw it, Origins was a decent-to-average game that everyone seems to have decided was some sort of masterpiece while DA2 was a decent-to-average game that everyone seems to have decided was some sort of atrocity.

Twyce

Mostly a Lurker
Apr 1, 2009
Diablo III, Any Final Fantasy (but mostly VII), Borderlands, and recently The Witcher games.

I'm sure they are great, but I can't get into the hype and I didn't enjoy playing them.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
The Mass Effect series for quite awhile. Then I played em and now i'm a fan but I don't constantly talk about it like some.

Starcraft

and the Fallout games

fish iron4

Dec 6, 2010
Mass effect, seriously just if most of a game is good (or according to most people, ive never played it) then there's no point in whining just about the very ending.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Great another overrated games thread in disguise. Well played OP, well played.

KoTOR wasn't exactly fun

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Assassin's Creed and Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy, well I have turn-based combat so I never got into it, and I tried AC, but it was too damn repetitive for me

Gurgleflob

Jun 29, 2012
Come to think of it, just about every AAA game coming out this year, as most of them are sequels and I've never played the originals.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Assassin's Creed.
Can't bother to play it, this will be my choice

"Hey, I like Hitman and Prince of Persia, now they want to make an open world game that will remind me of those games and constantly tell me it's not as good as them? I bet that will go veeery well!" is my reason to not care. Doing what I have done before in a worse way is not my idea of fun.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Nintendo's main properties. Mostly because I've never had a Nintendo console, and that's the only place to play said games.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Metal Gear Solid. If I wanted to watch a poorly-written film, I'd do just that.

And then everything by Nintendo, probably because I didn't play them as a kid.

And then Call of Duty and Halo.

SciMal

Dec 10, 2011
templar1138a said:
Hey there fellow gamers.

Is there a game or series of games that you don't really care about, but everyone else doesn't seem able to shut up? Does their inability to shut up about them make you more hostile towards the franchise?
Dragon Age (Origins and II).

I think the setting is sooooooooooo boring. Elves have pointed ears, used to be immortal, and live in the forest? Dwarves are short, stocky, build giant geometric cities underground, and love to drink? Humans are more numerous than other species while not having any particularly striking qualities?

Nothing like knowing what the entire world is like, including the politics between the species and who will eventually be the major antagonist/protagonist before I install the game.

I fight an ancient evil that's arisen from its burial grounds and happens to be a dragon? An absurdly powerful, but benign-looking witch who has her own conniving schemes helps me along the way in exchange for some seemingly small price?

Good thing these tropes haven't been around since before the dawn of recorded history, otherwise things might get interesting.

Sure, the games are good - but it blows my mind that BioWare is claiming that their fantasy world is entirely their own creation when almost all of my middle school years were spent reading about it.

Another are the Call of Duty/whatever games. I like Halo fine (and played 1-3 for the story), but if I want a multiplayer gun-fest I'll take TF2 over the others every time.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
Obligatory mention of the half life series... and that's that over with.

Halo Series - Never even found it to be good even just compared to other shooters, let alone the larger gaming market. Probably doesn't help that 90% of the people online back when I was playing it were asshole 12 year olds trying to swallow their microphones. Thank god for mute.

aattss

May 13, 2012
Call of Duty, Portal, FF, Halo, and many non-indie games.

Many indie games are vice versa (i.e. games I care about that other people don't)

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
bafrali said:
Great another overrated games thread in disguise. Well played OP, well played.

KoTOR wasn't exactly fun
*raises an eyebrow* I was just watching a bunch of Zero Punctuation, so forgive me while I channel Yahtzee as all my thoughts are being said in his voice at the moment:

Saying this thread is in disguise is like complimenting how authentic a professional mariachi's outfit looks at a costume party; apparently he's entered the wrong building and is really confused. I didn't create it so hipsters could get off on how much they hate triple-A games - or at least would hate them, if hatred weren't so mainstream - I created it because no matter how much hype a game gets, there will always be people who just don't see the appeal. Overrating doesn't enter into it because those people will presumably have not actually played the game and probably wouldn't even if it were covered in gold and tasted like Anne Hathaway's vagina because they just don't care.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
MasterMasamune said:
Any Bioware game and any Valve game. Especially Mass Effect, Portal and Half-Life. Please, people, can we shut up about these three games for just a little while? Please?
Have you played Portal 2? I used to be like that, but then I played it...

EquestrianGeneral

Jun 22, 2012
Hmm, I've got quite a list:

1. Any Blizzard game (Diablo III included)
2. Call of Duty (past CoD4, which was when the excellent quality of the series ended)
3. Assassian's Creed
4. Bioshock Infinite (loved Bioshock, though Bioshock 2 was alright)
5. Halo 4+5+6
6. Tomb Raider (though it doesn't seem like many still care about it)
7. Hitman: Absolution
8. Splinter Cell

... I'm just gonna stop there, I think you get the point.