Games like Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect, and Risen 2?

Fetus

Nov 25, 2012
Hey guys, so I am a huge fan of RPGS, and having played all of the games mentioned in the title, I've come to the conclusion that I have tendency to like games more when I can have a crew of companions on a ship (In DA: Origins case a camp) where all my lads hang out and such. Any suggestions?

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
You should check Jade Empire and Knights of the Old republic, both made by Bioware.

AndrewF022

Jan 23, 2010
Knights of the Old Republic is the obvious choice I can think of, it has everything you're looking for, lads, and ships. It's also an awesome game and cheap as chips now.

When it comes to games like Risen, maybe try The Witcher or Kingdoms of Amalur.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
IllumInaTIma said:
You should check Jade Empire and Knights of the Old republic, both made by Bioware.
No recommendation for Persona 4? Sure, it's a town instead of a camp or ship, and a JRPG, but still...

OT: I may just not be well-versed in RPGs, I suppose, but I can't really think of any that haven't already been mentioned, to be honest. Not moderately recent ones, at least.

Knights of the Old Republic is well-worth it though, and KotOR II with the restored content mod on the PC is even better, in my opinion.

If you like JRPGs as well (though I wouldn't say they're really 'standard' JRPGs, by any metric), and perchance own a Playstation Vita (or less ideally a PS2), then you could spring for Persona 3 FES and Persona 4 -- Persona 3 Portable and Persona 4 Golden on the Vita, respectively.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
shrekfan246 said:
IllumInaTIma said:
No recommendation for Persona 4? Sure, it's a town instead of a camp or ship, and a JRPG, but still...

OT: I may just not be well-versed in RPGs, I suppose, but I can't really think of any that haven't already been mentioned, to be honest. Not moderately recent ones, at least.

Knights of the Old Republic is well-worth it though, and KotOR II with the restored content mod on the PC is even better, in my opinion.

If you like JRPGs as well (though I wouldn't say they're really 'standard' JRPGs, by any metric), and perchance own a Playstation Vita (or less ideally a PS2), then you could spring for Persona 3 FES and Persona 4 -- Persona 3 Portable and Persona 4 Golden on the Vita, respectively.
DON'T YOU TRY AND SHAME ME!
But... well, despite how much I love Persona it's still sooooo much different from games OP have mentioned. And besides, you should save best for last, right?

shrekfan246

May 26, 2011
IllumInaTIma said:
But... well, despite how much I love Persona it's still sooooo much different from games OP have mentioned. And besides, you should save best for last, right?

Sometimes I forget that not everybody has the same range of taste in games as I do.

I think there's really been a dearth of party-based RPGs in the last few years to begin with, though. At least, in the same easily-accessible format as Dragon Age or Mass Effect...

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
shrekfan246 said:
IllumInaTIma said:

Sometimes I forget that not everybody has the same range of taste in games as I do.

I think there's really been a dearth of party-based RPGs in the last few years to begin with, though. At least, in the same easily-accessible format as Dragon Age or Mass Effect...
Yeah, that's true. And funny thing is, I don't even know any other developers, besides Bioware and Atlus who would make party focus of their game. Oh, wait, there are also guys who make Atelier series... is there anyone else?

shrekfan246

May 26, 2011
IllumInaTIma said:
shrekfan246 said:
IllumInaTIma said:

Yeah, that's true. And funny thing is, I don't even know any other developers, besides Bioware and Atlus who would make party focus of their game. Oh, wait, there are also guys who make Atelier series... is there anyone else?
There are a few party-based JRPGs here and there, but I don't think any of them really give the same level of character development as Persona or Bioware's franchises.

I can't really think of any other actual developers that specialize in that type of genre anymore, though. Which is really kind of disappointing. I'd love to see more party-based RPGs that aren't isometric and using D&D combat rules, or even party-based action games with RPG elements.

Even Square Enix seems to have forgotten how to do it...