Games that are bad (or everyone else hates) that you like.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I can now add No More Heroes III to the list. "Professional" critics are really mixed, but most independent reviewers like it enough. Most Suda and Grasshopper fans are loving the game; including me.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I quite enjoy dmc 2 and dragon age 2
I never understood the hate for Dragon Age 2, but... you will have to explain that enjoyment of DMC2... Did you play it before the first game?

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
I never understood the hate for Dragon Age 2, but... you will have to explain that enjoyment of DMC2... Did you play it before the first game?
Eh I liked switching between two characters, and I thought gameplay was good. My first dmc game was 4 actually. I played DMC1 before 2 but DMC 1 was too tough for me to complete. Not that I would say dmc 2 was better then the first one, but I don’t think it deserves all the hate.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Eh I liked switching between two characters, and I thought gameplay was good. My first dmc game was 4 actually. I played DMC1 before 2 but DMC 1 was too tough for me to complete. Not that I would say dmc 2 was better then the first one, but I don’t think it deserves all the hate.
The hate was well deserved at the time. And I can still see where people were coming from. I was not exactly a big fan of the second game either. It's just that compared to the first game, DMC2 was just so boring and lacking.

1. Hideki Kamiya had no involvement in the game. The reason being Capcom was too afraid to ask him and they thought he would say no. Which is bull crap either way you look at it. The fact that they went behind him and team little devil's (soon to become Clover Studios and later Platinum Games) back, without saying anything speaks volumes.
  2. Before Hideaki Itsuno, there was a ghost director that was super terrible at his job, and couldn't even get the game running. It took itsuno about 6 months to get the game in the state it is now. 6 months, in the bill before that was even worse.
  3. The person who did the writing, actually hated Dante. Which is why he acts like nothing like himself until the last few missions of the game. I can't remember the writer's name, but he no longer works at Capcom and pretty much left after the second game had launched. The parts were Dante actually acts like himself towards the end, is where you can see Itsuno's influence.
  4. Level design is boring, and uninspired. The same applies to a majority of the enemy designs, outside of a few bosses. All the enemies are lacking personality or any visual distinctness, and just come off as cardboard, generic, cliche, stock types. Same applies the most bosses.
  5. I like Lucia, but she got shafted hard. Her levels getting the worst of it. Her campaign may be shorter, but she has even more tedious or frustrating things that happen in her levels. The only saving grace is that she actually has a good personal story, that is sadly wasted and most people don't bother to look up. You're better off just using YouTube to see her full story.
  6. The game only gets "fun" on harder difficulties or if you're playing as alternate characters. Playing as an unlockable Trish has our act more like DMC1 Dante, but with her own style of new sets to add to it. Getting Dante in his DMC one outfit, actually has n't play more like his regular self from the first game.
  7. DMC2 Dante does have fun mechanics, but the manual nor game never tells you about them, you have to go through this combo system in order to figure it out. Not to mention, the style system is awful and at its worse. In order to keep a high, going, you constantly have to dodge and shoot something then add in a melee just so it doesn't drop. If you are going for S rankings, playing this game is a pain. Especially on the harder modes where almost everything becomes a damage sponge.
The other positive thing about this game is the soundtrack. That's it.

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
The hate was well deserved at the time. And I can still see where people were coming from. I was not exactly a big fan of the second game either. It's just that compared to the first game, DMC2 was just so boring and lacking.

1. Hideki Kamiya had no involvement in the game. The reason being Capcom was too afraid to ask him and they thought he would say no. Which is bull crap either way you look at it. The fact that they went behind him and team little devil's (soon to become Clover Studios and later Platinum Games) back, without saying anything speaks volumes.
  2. Before Hideaki Itsuno, there was a ghost director that was super terrible at his job, and couldn't even get the game running. It took itsuno about 6 months to get the game in the state it is now. 6 months, in the bill before that was even worse.
  3. The person who did the writing, actually hated Dante. Which is why he acts like nothing like himself until the last few missions of the game. I can't remember the writer's name, but he no longer works at Capcom and pretty much left after the second game had launched. The parts were Dante actually acts like himself towards the end, is where you can see Itsuno's influence.
  4. Level design is boring, and uninspired. The same applies to a majority of the enemy designs, outside of a few bosses. All the enemies are lacking personality or any visual distinctness, and just come off as cardboard, generic, cliche, stock types. Same applies the most bosses.
  5. I like Lucia, but she got shafted hard. Her levels getting the worst of it. Her campaign may be shorter, but she has even more tedious or frustrating things that happen in her levels. The only saving grace is that she actually has a good personal story, that is sadly wasted and most people don't bother to look up. You're better off just using YouTube to see her full story.
  6. The game only gets "fun" on harder difficulties or if you're playing as alternate characters. Playing as an unlockable Trish has our act more like DMC1 Dante, but with her own style of new sets to add to it. Getting Dante in his DMC one outfit, actually has n't play more like his regular self from the first game.
  7. DMC2 Dante does have fun mechanics, but the manual nor game never tells you about them, you have to go through this combo system in order to figure it out. Not to mention, the style system is awful and at its worse. In order to keep a high, going, you constantly have to dodge and shoot something then add in a melee just so it doesn't drop. If you are going for S rankings, playing this game is a pain. Especially on the harder modes where almost everything becomes a damage sponge.
The other positive thing about this game is the soundtrack. That's it.
I can understand why fans don’t like the game much and I agree it destroyed Dante’s character. But for what it’s worth I had a good time with it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ahh, maybe that kinda does it too. I was expecting something close to as hard as the first game and found the second one so easy that at best it was boring to me.

Oh, that... pretty easy to explain, it wasn't 'Dragon Age: Origins: Again'... Switching froma much more 'classic' RPG style to an 'action' RPG tweaked a lot of nipples.
If that was it then I can understand it, since the first game was more tactical and the second was more action, but I remember hearing a lot of people bitching about it being set in a single city and being a more personal less world saving story.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Oh, that... pretty easy to explain, it wasn't 'Dragon Age: Origins: Again'... Switching froma much more 'classic' RPG style to an 'action' RPG tweaked a lot of nipples.
It really isn't an action RPG (not saying that people didn't see it as one though). I'm replaying it right now and it's very much an RPG, just not isometric. Although I think part of the problem is that normal and hard are so easy that it feel like a mindless slasher and you really need to play on the highest difficulty setting for it to get interesting (although the balance is pretty poor this way, with the couple of first level being brutal since you lack tool to take advantages of the system).

But there's plenty of reasons why people could see the game as bad. Repeated environment makes exploration boring being a big one (and very valid). I think some people were disapointed with the story not being another "you are the one, go save the world" but for me that's part of what makes it so much better than most RPG. Although at the same time the story kinda collapse toward the end, the templar V mage aspect just doesn't work when the templar are cartoonishly evil and the mage are cartoonishly stupid (they always always go straight for blood magic/demon summoning the second they hit even the slightest problem and even if you actually solve the problem for them). But the first 2 act are great and I really like how you slowly move up in society. Plus the cast is so much better than DA:O. Imo 2 is slightly better than origin and miles ahead of inquisition.

Reactions: Dalisclock

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
If that was it then I can understand it, since the first game was more tactical and the second was more action, but I remember hearing a lot of people bitching about it being set in a single city and being a more personal less world saving story.
As an action RPG I'd give it a solid 'meh'.
As the supposed sequel to DA:O I'd screech like a gibbon and fling my poo.

It wasn't a terrible game, it just wasn't very good (imo)... but being the sequel to a game that had all the classic/tactical rpg fans jizzing about it being the vanguard of a new golden age, it looks even worse.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Splinter Cell: ConViction - After Double Agent which(atleast on PC) was terrible, i expected nothing but the franchise going down the drain. But lo behold, Conviction, while feeling different from traditional SCs, was probably the best Bourne Simulator i played. And a quite fun stealth game on its own, despite of rather weak first couple of levels.
I know there are many fans that call Splinter Cell: Conviction, the best Taken game ever made. Funny enough, both the game and the film came out the same year.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not exactly everyone, but there are a good amount of loud 📢 and vocal fans that don't like Bayonetta 3, because of the ending. The ending "ruined it" for some of them. It's not that bad people. You got all these cool weapons with the most variety, the best set pieces, and still a great kick-ass soundtrack.

Masonicon

Legacy
Apr 14, 2011
Country
Indonesia
  • Metal Slug 3d
  • PS2 version of the Simpsons game
  • at least some abandonwares