Games that are better because of Gltiches

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
I wouldn't say that it made the game better, but I was certainly amused when the Courier glitched in Skyrim. The joke is so obvious that it's kinda surprising that it was a bug.

"...Is it a package? This feels like the kind of situation where you'd offer me a package."

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
FalloutJack said:
darkrage6 said:
Prey was immensely fun thanks to the infinite recycling glitch which allowed me to max out all of my skills.
Oh? Tell me more. I wish to doomify the Typhons with doomy doominess.

OT: Okay, this'll happen in alot of mission-based sandbox games, but I first discovered it back in Destroy All Humans 2.

In this situation, you're trying to protect 'BLANK', black being a stationary thing that can only take so much damage before being destroyed. Sometimes, if you force the baddies away far enough, keeping them from even approaching their target, they - and subsequent bad guys - will forget what they're doing, and revert to default actions. And when they can't find an enemy by default, they do nothing. So, if you have a timer ticking away and the game has forgotten what it was suppose to be attacking, the time runs out with you simply keeping out of the way, and then you win.
Unfortunately that glitch has been patched now.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
inu-kun said:
Historically, Street Fighter 2 had combos because of glitches and they are the basis of fighting games. Space Invaders had the dynamic difficulty because of the processor having easier time to render with less things on screen.
If you ask me, those are the best kind of glitches. The ones that are so well-liked by both players and/or developers that they become official features.

Things like bunny hopping and rocket jumping in Quake and derived games. Skiing in Tribes. Juggling in Devil May Cry. The Spy class in Team Fortress. Or basically the entire core gameplay of the first GTA games.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
Kotaro said:
Right now I've been playing the HD remaster of the .hack//G.U. trilogy, and I am so thankful that they didn't fix the glitch that lets you cheat at the bike races (you need to collide with three targets within a time limit, and there's a glitch where if you open the map and then close it right before hitting the first one, the game will think you've gotten all three and end the race immediately) in the second and third games.
The time limits to get the first place prizes for these races are absurdly strict, to the point that, even though I've been playing these games since they first came out ten years ago, I have never actually managed to clear them all without this glitch even once.
Sure, the races are technically optional, but they give really good upgrades for your bike, one of which makes grinding for part of a different sidequest a lot easier.
The bike races are honestly a not good part of a good game, but this glitch makes them go by quickly at least.
I was actually about to say the exact same thing. Usually I don't even bother with that stupid bike, but since there's that trophy for getting all books up to level 9, I had to.

So, so, SOOOOOOO happy that glitch is still a thing in the game.
Actually the easiest way to level the Book of 1000's category for the bike isn't even the races, but just to slap on any part with the "A Hit In the Dark" ability that makes you invisible to enemies while riding it, and then go to random field areas and slam into every group of enemies. Each collision gives you I think 70 points toward the book.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
The only one I ever discovered was in Sonic 3 where in Launch Base where there was this siren thing you would pass through that would signal these little flying buggers to come after you. If you did a dash attack and held it down right next to the siren, it would keep going, the guys would keep kamikaze-ing into you and the game counted it as one point chain so eventually every bad guy that attacked you would be another 1-up.

Boom. Infinite lives. Does that count?

I also remember one in the original Deus Ex: GOTY Edition for PC where in one of the later levels there was this one lock or keypad or something that would give you XP every time you opened it or whatever. You could basically keep doing and max out JC, though I remember it would eventually bug out so hard that the program would crash, so you had to know when to stop.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Another insanely useful one I forgot about was in GTA 3-SA, where if you parked a damaged car in your garage and let the door close, it would open to reveal your car as good as new. Not sure I ever used Pay-and-Spray because of that.

Then there's the infamous Anti-Air Gun glitch in Battlefield 1942...

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
Oblivion. Infinite pumpkins. Need I say more?

Alpha Protocol had some entertaining bugs too - one of the boss fights, if you put all your points into stealth and had no real weapon power, wound up with the guy eventually glitching out, moving ridonculously fast, stabbing you, running around the room again, and finishing you off. About five times faster than he was supposed to run while drugged up.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
inu-kun said:
Chimpzy said:
inu-kun said:
Historically, Street Fighter 2 had combos because of glitches and they are the basis of fighting games. Space Invaders had the dynamic difficulty because of the processor having easier time to render with less things on screen.
If you ask me, those are the best kind of glitches. The ones that are so well-liked by both players and/or developers that they become official features.

Things like bunny hopping and rocket jumping in Quake and derived games. Skiing in Tribes. Juggling in Devil May Cry. The Spy class in Team Fortress. Or basically the entire core gameplay of the first GTA games.
There is also Nuclear Gandhi in Civilization, which while I didn't play, always found hilarious.
I read somewhere that the developers themselves found that so hilarious that they made it that way on purpose for all future installments.