Games that are better on easy

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
inFamous 1 and 2, so you feel like you actually have superpowers. Crysis for a similar reason. It always bothers me when a game gives you abilities and then just ramps up enemies to match you anyway - give me larger waves of weaker chaps, so it's still a challenge but I feel like I'm blasting through them.

Jun 11, 2008
The only game I put on easy is Minecraft and I only do that when I doing a big project so I can stay underwater longer and not have to worry about mobs.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Halo series: Laugh and frolic while mowing down groups of elites that would have murderated your heart out on Legendary. Also, the cinematics always portray master chief as overpowered so playing it on easy lends to a more consistent "movie-style" experience.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
I dont play for the combat and dont see what the big deal about it is. I dont find fighting the same AI tactics if not the same ai itself over and over to be fun or a challenge. and most boss fights are just the same AI in a bigger npc with more health, hits harder, and gets a special attack or 2. to me thats a yawnfest and frustrating to do over and over until you learn the rythem and cues for the specials. nowadays i just go full god mode and use the most powerfull weapon I can to 1 hit kill everything. plus if i need to pee i dont need to worry about hitting pause lol.

I play for the puzzles, the environment/artwork, and the story, not to die and repeat the levels because all AI cheat especialy in FPS games. plus i dont really have time to devote to repeating levels over and over.

so yeah easy mode for me lol.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
RTS campaigns.
Command and Conquer 3 (Still a ***** in some places on causal)
and World in Conflict. (I haven't really endovoured into the other difficulties, but I can almost guarentee you I'd hate it)
With WiC, The sheer amount of micromanaging needed to complete the holdout objectives on that game would probably make it impossible. On the easy difficulty, it's not really a problem, set up a few tanks at a possition, and they'll be good for most of the battle, but every unit has a little abillity that can increase their survivalibilty, (Some tanks have rockets, some have anti infantry shells, ect.) And I think it'd be a ***** to handle having to swich between 3 fronts and to keep doing this to the enemy heavy tanks so your small tanks aren't destroyed, keeping your medium tanks alive, keeping your heavy tanks alive.
Managing infantry on that game can be a huge ***** on easy mode as well. Infantry is extreamly useful in that game, but most missions that include them usually has a catch.
"Here, you can have infantry on this mission! Just look out, we put snipers everywhere!"

And ME1. That game is a freaking cheat on higher difficulties.
City building games and games like Rollercoaster tycoon as well. I don't want to have to manage economy and shit, I just want to build an awesome themepark/city.
Infact, every simulation game out their.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Kingdom Hearts.

Those games may have harder difficulties, but it feels as if they were meant to be played on the easier settings. It provides just enough fight that I can enjoy the combat without getting pissed off that fucking Dragon Maleficent just fire spammed me to death for the fifth time, or that Xemnas once again killed me with his bullshit teleport-grab in the final battle.
The Heartless not only do more damage, but I'm fairly sure they have more health. I remember having to really wail on them outside of Easy, and the Hades Cup being a true buttfucking nearly every time I entered. Not even because of the enemy damage, but because of their HEALTH BEING SO HIGH THAT THE TIMER WOULD HIT ZERO BEFORE I COULD BEAT THEM TO DEATH!

KH is just more fun when you can keep moving forward in the actual story and not even have to think of the difficulty.

Birth By Sleep turned into an extreme rage session for me. I can honestly see no possible way that I could ever beat Xehanort after he has taken Terra's body as Terra. He kills me so hard and uses the most bullshit, insanely cheap attacks and deals such ludicrous damage on Proud that eventually I erased the file, went back into Easy, breezed through Terra's story within five hours from what had taken me nearly ten on Proud, and then repeatedly destroyed Xehanort over, and over, and over, turning it off and reloading the save before the fight at least four times. Same with Ventus fighting Vanitas. What a load of crap.

Mass Effect on anything higher than Veteran. The first for the reason mentioned before with the somewhat clunky combat, but Mass Effect 2...oh my lord. You remember those shutters during the Archangel recruiting mission that you need to close? I was stuck for fifteen minutes on a single side shutter by ONE. FUCKING. PYRO-VORCHA who was camping around a corner. Tried going in myself, killed me. Tried sending in Mordin with his Biotics, downed instantly by the fire as he hopped the wall. Tried simply running past, killed me before I got over the second obstacle.
Eventually I hopped the wall, shotgunned him right in the face, hit him with Mordin's power, and beat him to death with my melee as he reeled. I then proceeded to waste all of my Heavy Pistol ammo by emptying clip after clip into his ugly rat-face on the floor.

AndrewF022

Jan 23, 2010
Ah.. The only ones I can really think of are JRPGs (the few that actually have difficulty options).

Mostly because the only difference between the difficulties is the amount of grinding required. Like Persona for example, the only difference I noticed between Normal and Hard was that the enemies hit harder, and on easy you get the cheat item that revives you I think. So if you were playing that for the first time, I'd probably suggest playing on Easy mode. Especially Persona 3, because the end boss, holy shit.. that's one you do not want to die and have to restart on, like I have.. multiple times..

Also, Minecraft on Peaceful mode if you have a specific something you want to build.. but the most fun I've had playing that game was on hard mode with friends. So it is both better and worse on easy mode, just depends on what you want to do while you're playing.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
I'm generally the opposite. Most games are boring on lower difficulties. I find them more enjoyable on higher difficulties, where the stressful nature of the fights truly comes out. Survival horror where you are an unstoppable badass is... boring. Survival horror where so much as seeing an enemy could kill you, and where every fight is make or break - the tension fits in really well with the themes of the game, and compliments it.
I feel the same with Minecraft. I'm not in it purely for seeing the randomly generated terrain. If I want to build I'll turn on creative and just have mobs ignore me whilst I use my infinite blocks to do whatever I want. When I want to be entertained by Minecraft, however, I'll turn it up to hard and dig into the nearest cave system. Loot ahoy!

TheCaptain

A Guy In A Hat
Feb 7, 2012
Actually I find most games more satisfying on an easy difficulty setting. Usually I'm in for the story, the mood, the design, whatever. I play games to relax, and I don't want to be on the edge of my desk chair all the time while doing so. Also, I find it especially frustrating to replay the same section over and over again, which is more likely to happen on higher settings; with more and more games working on a checkpoint mechanic it gets worse. If the section I have to replay contains an unskippable cutscene, i'll likely quit the game after a few attempts.

Also, I like to have a larger margin for ineffective playing styles. On a lower difficulty you can have much more fun with skills and weapons that are awesome yet weak/impractical.

There's one single game I played on the highest available difficulty setting though: Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Since I was going for a no-alarm, no-kill playthrough, the game actually becomes much easier on a higher difficulty. Enemy perception isn't affected by the difficulty at all, but the game throws insane amounts of xp at you for progressing through the story.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Smeggs said:
You remember those shutters during the Archangel recruiting mission that you need to close? I was stuck for fifteen minutes on a single side shutter by ONE. FUCKING. PYRO-VORCHA who was camping around a corner. Tried going in myself, killed me. Tried sending in Mordin with his Biotics, downed instantly by the fire as he hopped the wall. Tried simply running past, killed me before I got over the second obstacle.
Eventually I hopped the wall, shotgunned him right in the face, hit him with Mordin's power, and beat him to death with my melee as he reeled. I then proceeded to waste all of my Heavy Pistol ammo by emptying clip after clip into his ugly rat-face on the floor.
Hehe, that guy was annoying on my first couple of tries. I found a foolproof method to killing him though: Send in a meatshield. In your case, send in Mordin, then jump over just after he has. Mordin gets blasted, but you have that time to kick the Vorcha's scaly ass. He kills Mordin whilst you're shooting him, then he cools down while your shooting him, then he's probably dead. If not, you're missed to many shots.
Its also a lot easier if you play a Vanguard. Just pop around the corner and charge him. He gets knocked back, you discharge a round into his face [Note: Should have Lvl 3 Charge by now].

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
Smeggs said:
Kingdom Hearts.

Those games may have harder difficulties, but it feels as if they were meant to be played on the easier settings. It provides just enough fight that I can enjoy the combat without getting pissed off that fucking Dragon Maleficent just fire spammed me to death for the fifth time, or that Xemnas once again killed me with his bullshit teleport-grab in the final battle.
The Heartless not only do more damage, but I'm fairly sure they have more health. I remember having to really wail on them outside of Easy, and the Hades Cup being a true buttfucking nearly every time I entered. Not even because of the enemy damage, but because of their HEALTH BEING SO HIGH THAT THE TIMER WOULD HIT ZERO BEFORE I COULD BEAT THEM TO DEATH!

KH is just more fun when you can keep moving forward in the actual story and not even have to think of the difficulty.

Birth By Sleep turned into an extreme rage session for me. I can honestly see no possible way that I could ever beat Xehanort after he has taken Terra's body as Terra. He kills me so hard and uses the most bullshit, insanely cheap attacks and deals such ludicrous damage on Proud that eventually I erased the file, went back into Easy, breezed through Terra's story within five hours from what had taken me nearly ten on Proud, and then repeatedly destroyed Xehanort over, and over, and over, turning it off and reloading the save before the fight at least four times. Same with Ventus fighting Vanitas. What a load of crap.
I wonder exactly how much time I sank into Mirage Arena. You easily become overleveled for any story bits if you beat a can beat a level after every few worlds you visit. I clocked out of Terra's story (on Critical) at about 27 hours. Granted, I got pretty damn close to 100% completion, but Mirage Arena seems like it wasn't balanced with the rest of the game. The only thing I didn't do was Keepers of the Arena at the very end. I wasn't actively trying to level grind either. Were you just trying to blast through everything if you got through Proud in 10 hours?

Weealzabob

Jun 4, 2011
Call of Duty/any "realistic" shooter.

After replaying the Modern Warfare trilogy on Regular instead of Hardened or Veteran, I found it made for a faster paced and a more wholly enjoyable campaign.

Battleaxx90

Jul 8, 2011
Smeggs said:
This is true... in the first game. That one was goddamn brutal on Proud. IMO, most of the other games in the series are too zetta easy on Normal, so I prefer Proud mode... in most cases.

Smeggs said:
Kingdom Hearts.

Pro tip: Meld Block/Barrier and Esuna together to get an ability called Renewal Block/Barrier. It recovers your HP whenever you successfully block an attack. Block one of his multi-hit attacks, and bam! Full recovery for you. Also, packing two Curagas can get you through all but the toughest boss battles in the game.

Do yourself a favour BTW, don't take on the bonus bosses. If you had trouble with Terranort, then the bonus bosses will make you want to throw your PSP through the goddamn window.

OT: I can't really think of any games more fun on easy (I like my games to be challenging, consarn it!), but Red Steel 2 on the Wii is the complete opposite. On easy, the enemy's health bars are just too damn small; even the bosses die too damn quickly! On the highest difficulty, however, the health bars are at the point they SHOULD be at, meaning you can't just try for the quick win; you have to strategize and stuff, plus you have an excuse to use the flashier sword techniques that provide advantages instead of doin' the ol flyswat and achieving the same result.

I don't know if I'm describing this right, but then again, I suck at describing. Derp.

Deviluk

Jul 1, 2009
Ickorus said:
I like most games to be tough because I get my enjoyment out of being challenged but if turning the difficulty up just means that AI has exorbitant amounts of health, deals ridiculous damage and cheats then I'll lower the difficulty until I think the challenge is fair on me.

With that said, I play most shooters on lower difficulties due to AI attaining wallhacks and aimbots when you turn it high.
Exactly, who wants to be sniped by a guy with an AK from 400m away, as soon as you pop your head out your hiding place? Then you have to sit there, heavy breathing and red in the eyes, and try again....

SmegInThePants

Feb 19, 2011
strategy games: unless i've read the AI is horrible, I start on default then work my way up. Also, I have a lot more respect for a game wherein increasing the difficulty actually means the AI is better, than i do for games where it just means the AI gets bonuses but still makes all the same poor decisions they did on the lower difficulty. IN the former situation I'll enjoy ramping up the difficulty all the way. In the latter, once i've mastered the lower difficulties, i prefer to ramp up difficulty by playing scenarios (some can be very hard), or multiplayer (if the game has it).

fps: the perfect-aim-from-the-other-side-of-the-universe that bots get in some games makes me wary of higher difficulties, so i'll start off on normal and work my way up. If they can head shot me before they are visible to me, then i drop back down a notch.

rpg's: the more difficult the better. i don't really play japanese rpg's, and someone here mentioned they have a lot of grind and higher difficulties make this worse, so i might do the same as him if it were a very grindy rpg and drop it down to easy to avoid the grind, but normally I want it difficult (restricted to one life even).

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
It's much more about personal preference, some people just like some pretty moving pictures.
Me on the other hand if I feel the need to bump down to easy then the gameplay must be pretty darn terrible.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. Being the Batman should mean that you are automatically good at everything. You should not get hit at all during combat.