Games that could be in the same Universe

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I had a thought playing Toy Soldiers a little while ago. I said to myself "Boy, wouldn't this be fucked up if this was the same world as Army Men: Sarge's Heroes? Imagine if instead of literal nameless, faceless toys, they had a Toy Story thing going where they're all individuals with hopes and dreams, but they just happen to be soldiers."

And then I had to reach for a stiff drink because holy fuck I just mustard gassed 100+ French soldiers at the Somme!

So what are some fun franchise/games that could be in the same universe where it would add something. Not really looking for Mortal Kombat and Pokemon meet up. It has to be two games where there are already enough similarities that seeing them as part of one canon isn't that absurd.
I'll start with a few:

Fallout + Rage: I mean Rage already is a Fallout game, just under another name. Honestly no real reason these two aren't already considered together, but I digress...

State of Decay + Left 4 Dead: I mean both had stupid fast hunting zombies, huge hard to kill lumbering fuck you to ammo zombies, bloating zombies that blow up, and loud as fuck yelling zombies that attract more of the zeds. I mean would you even bat an eye at this? Left 4 Dead is city folk, State of Decay is rural. Enough said.

Five Nights at Freddys + Silent Hill: Okay, how is this not already a thing?! I mean ghosts, child murders, creepy animatronics. For fuck's sake FNaF4 is all about nightmares and a child imagining the mascots as giant killing monsters with rows of sharp teeth. Its all in his head! And then when he's hurt he comes back for revenge as a fucked up doll! If that's not Silent Hill, I don't know what is. Just have a Freedy's Fasbear be the go-to "child friendly" pizza place for Silent Hill families. Makes too much sense if you ask me.

Assassin's Creed + Remember me: This might be the biggest reach I do, but I could really see Memory Hunters being the futuristic version of the Assassin's Guild or at least allies employed to protect ancient secrets. And seeings how the whole AC story involves plundering memories from people in the future, I don't see why these two can't be together.

Lovecraft + Amnesia: Now I'm pretty sure they're already in the same universe, but I can't find a page or post saying so, so I'll add it here. I mean come on! Amnesia is so Lovecraftian I was surprised the bad guy wasn't black!(Little Lovecraft joke for all the fans who know what a racist fuck he was)

Any others that would be fun and add to the story?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Silentpony said:
Fallout + Rage: I mean Rage already is a Fallout game, just under another name. Honestly no real reason these two aren't already considered together, but I digress...
I'll admit it sounds fun, but one was caused by war (which never changes) and the other was caused by a verylarger falling rock. Besides, the Enclave is far more badass than the Authority.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
FalloutJack said:
Silentpony said:
I'll admit it sounds fun, but one was caused by war (which never changes) and the other was caused by a verylarger falling rock. Besides, the Enclave is far more badass than the Authority.
Honestly you could say the Authority made up the whole giant rock thing. We do only have their word that a rock is what happened. For all we know, the Authority is just an Enclave renegade chapter trying to control a little national park.

BlackJesus

Aug 31, 2014
RAGE has a different feel. The ruins are all modern office buildings and all the technology used is modern. Fallout has a weird 50's after a nuclear war feel to it. Oh, and in RAGE it's a meteorite, in Fallout it's a nuclear armageddon.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well, Uncharted and The Last of Us is the obvious one. Uncharted 3 gives a little hint towards it, and Uncharted 1's McGuffin was a corpse that spread ashes that if breathed in turned one into rage zombie. For all we know Nathan Drake went on to become David.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Metro and Fallout. Perhaps not at the exact same time, but they conceivably could be together.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Silentpony said:
My only problem with this one is that RAGE was a terrible game and Fallout...you know...wasn't. :p

OT:
There's evidence to suggest that Mass Effect and Dragon Age actually do share a universe. In ME2's Kasumi DLC there's a statue of a Darkspawn Ogre, and in DA:I, there's a couple places where you can see Krogan heads mounted on a wall as though they were trophies. Perhaps Thedas is a world the Reapers skip over for not being sufficiently advanced? :p

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Silentpony said:
For all we know, the Authority is just an Enclave renegade chapter trying to control a little national park.
Again?!

*Looks over at Brotherhood of Steal, Capital Wastelands Brotherhood Steel, AND the guys that broke away from THEM*

The BoS was originally a part of the Enclave, or the US army that became the Enclave. Either way, this is getting complicated.

BUT...I agree with assertions of Metro and Fallout.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Silentpony said:
Lovecraft + Amnesia: Now I'm pretty sure they're already in the same universe, but I can't find a page or post saying so, so I'll add it here. I mean come on! Amnesia is so Lovecraftian I was surprised the bad guy wasn't black!(Little Lovecraft joke for all the fans who know what a racist fuck he was)

Any others that would be fun and add to the story?
Amnesia, as well as Prenumbra, was Lovecraftian without specifically name dropping any of the mythos. Which I don't mind, because the vast majority of Call of Cthulhu games tend to be, well, Shit. Anyone whose ever played Dark Corners of the Earth knows what I'm talking about.

A couple weeks ago there was a thread which asked you to combine the two last games you played. I had just played Metro 2033 and was playing Final Fantasy IX. Which still feels appropriate because quite a few of the Final Fantasy games have you stumble across ancient yet still intact ruins and machines/powers from a civilization that is no more. It would be easy enough to posit numerous FF games as the aftermath of a nuclear/magical apocalypse(other then FFVI, which outright states that the world was practically destroyed 1000 years before and mankind is just now back up to the industrial revolution).

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
09philj said:
Metro and Fallout. Perhaps not at the exact same time, but they conceivably could be together.
Works really nicely frankly. Considering how the two games take place on opposite sides of the world and neither of them have contact with much outside of their own sphere of influence, it's perfectly plausible that both could be taking place in the same universe. You'd have to mess with the dates a little bit since the Fallout apocalypse was in 2077 while the Metro one was in 2013.

Metro feels like a Russian version of fallout anyway, though with better shooting mechanics but a bit more linear.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
The thing is, Fallout has a rather distinct aestetic and atmosphere, one that the Metro series doesn't really share. Fallout takes place in a world where the general zeitgeist of the 1950's never went away. Technology developed differently to the real world, which is why there aren't any mobile phones or advanced computer interfaces.

Metro, meanwhile, is a bit more grounded, appearing to be set in a bit more bleak and gloomy version of our world. The ruins of Moscow look contemporary, rather than the ruins of what people in 1955 thought the 2070's would be like.

The only thing they've really got in common is the nuclear holocaust and very big mutants.

EDIT: Forgot to contribute.

I like to imagine that the World in Conflict-series shares the universe of the original Operation Flashpoint, if you failed the campaign and escalated the crisis.

Randoman01

Apr 19, 2013
Endless Space, Dungeons of the Endless, as well as Endless Legend are all in the same setting.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Grouchy Imp said:
Papers, Please and Pandemic?
Honestly Papers, Please and Bioshock would be cool. Imagine the moral dilemma in either forcing parents from their son because of clerical errors, or approving a husband, wife and son to live in Rapture.
That's story telling!

Mar 30, 2010
Silentpony said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Papers, Please and Pandemic?
Honestly Papers, Please and Bioshock would be cool. Imagine the moral dilemma in either forcing parents from their son because of clerical errors, or approving a husband, wife and son to live in Rapture.
That's story telling!
No, that's just pure evil! :)

thedoclc

Jun 24, 2008
RJ 17 said:
Silentpony said:
My only problem with this one is that RAGE was a terrible game and Fallout...you know...wasn't. :p

OT:
There's evidence to suggest that Mass Effect and Dragon Age actually do share a universe. In ME2's Kasumi DLC there's a statue of a Darkspawn Ogre, and in DA:I, there's a couple places where you can see Krogan heads mounted on a wall as though they were trophies. Perhaps Thedas is a world the Reapers skip over for not being sufficiently advanced? :p
Additionally, an individual early in ME1 says, "Humans! Thank the maker!"

Let's go nuts with this, though.

Boo, Shepard's hamster, might be Minsc's hamster Boo from Baldur's Gate I and II. Per Spelljammer D&D, there really are giant space hamsters. That puts all those old D&D settings in continuity with Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

Chris Avellone has all but stated Kreia of Knights of the Old Republic II is a manifestation of Ravel Puzzlewell of Planescape: Torment fame.

Torment crosses over both due to its D&D pencil-and-paper connection with Baldur's Gate, but because of a few hidden items and because Haer'Dalis, an NPC from Baldur's Gate, is explicitly from the Planescape cosmology.

Which means in the same cosmology via video-game only links, you can find Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Star Wars, and the various D&D settings. And once you allow yourself to cross over there, you can easily get to the Cthulhu Mythos, and from there, your crossed continuity has no limit.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
thedoclc said:
Additionally, an individual early in ME1 says, "Humans! Thank the maker!"
I knew there was one I was leaving out. I do recall that, it's what the female scientist on Eden Prime says when you rescue her.

Boo, Shepard's hamster, might be Minsc's hamster Boo from Baldur's Gate I and II.
Don't forget that if you click on the hamster enough when you're retaking your ship during Citadel, Shepard says "If anyone gives you trouble...go for the eyes!" Clearly attacking the eyes is the Space Hamster's preferred combat tactic!

Torment crosses over both due to its D&D pencil-and-paper connection with Baldur's Gate, but because of a few hidden items and because Haer'Dalis, an NPC from Baldur's Gate, is explicitly from the Planescape cosmology.
There's also the fact that if you picked up the Collector's Edition of Baldur's Gate II you can get the Zerth Blade which is straight out of Planescape.

Which means in the same cosmology via video-game only links, you can find Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Star Wars, and the various D&D settings. And once you allow yourself to cross over there, you can easily get to the Cthulhu Mythos, and from there, your crossed continuity has no limit.
So what does all this mean? Half Life 3 confirmed. :p

Hehe, but seriously, the Game Theorist channel on youtube has a series like this (don't know if they still do it) where they look at easter eggs and "guest appearances" to show how games could "theoretically" be taking place in the same universe. It's a pretty fun watch.

Superlative

May 14, 2012
Lord of the Rings+Mass Effect

LotR happened several thousands of years before Mass Effect. Strider could easily be an ancient ancestor of Shepard. Human biotics are the distant progeny of wizards using (comparatively) weaksauce diluted magic. Human biodiversity comes from interbreeding with Elves, Dwarves, and Hobbits until they all became humans.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Dishonoured, Thief and Bioshock

It's cool to think that these 3 games are all within the same universe, and that the main characters are just being guided by an overarching force, or organisation, that push them to do what they do. They know that things are going wrong, and that people have become too powerful or are misusing the technology they have been given, so they spice things up a bit with a protagonist.

It would also be cool to mix up the abilities and weapons from the games too. Like having the Necromancers Wand in Bioshock to summon vengeful Splicing-experiments-gone-wrong on the doctors and scientists. Or to have Possession in Thief to be able to make a guard unwittingly leave a window unlocked, or to disable an alarm for you.

And come on... After Dishonoured who doesn't think that every 1st person game needs blink? Or that after Bioshock that Plasmids and Vigor need to be in more things?

Finally... Murder of Crows = Insect Swarm = Summon Rats... all of which need to be in Thief!