Games that could be in the same Universe

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Ok, tinfoil hat time... Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Battlefield, Splinter Cell, Halo, Mass Effect, and Destiny.

*deep breath*

CoD, MoH, and Battlefield all show larger scale combat up to the near future while Splinter Cell shows the lone wolf espionage side of things up to the near future. Atlas ends up taking over and re-branding as the UNSC (United Nations Space Command because, ya know, they united the nations and space was the next place to conquer.) They have no qualms about continuing their robotics research and even go so far as human genetic manipulation to create super soldiers. They stumble across the covenant who are looking to activate weapons of mass destruction. The covenant is really trying to activate the fail safes the folks who made the reapers put in place in case the reapers became self aware and decided for themselves how best to "preserve" life. Chief (who is directly descended from Captain Price and Sam Fisher >they're cousins, I swear< because fuck you, that's why) stops the covenant but realizes the rings are the only thing that can stop the reapers. That's why he goes AWOL in Halo 5 to leave all the hidden data disks you find in ME1 and the crucible plans in hopes that someone will be able to find a way to activate the weapons and protect humanity from the impending doom. Sheppard finds the plans, makes the crucible and activates the weapon, destroying all means of long range travel and annihilating the reapers but the crucible protects humanity on earth. However, it is badly damaged. So much time passes that the only thing people remember is that the traveler protected humanity from a great evil and was damaged beyond repair somehow. Now the covenant are back, and they're pissed we killed so many of them just to do exactly what they were trying to do in the first place so they invade our system again. And the vex are the guardians (halo not destiny). And the "dinklebots" are evolved human AI (think Cortana) that meshed with guardian (halo) architecture.

Feel free to add in any games I missed and why! :D

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
This isn't one I thought of myself, but there's one dark Brawl in the Family comic [http://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com/2013/05/24/490-the-truth-about-zebes/] that compares Metroid and Super Mario. In the comic, the dark caverns and overgrowth of Zebes are the remains of the Mushroom Kingdom after centuries of decay. It was pretty thought provoking when I first saw it.

I'd like to think Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank share universes. They just feel so similar, two action series based on gadgets and space guns. Maybe in a cross over, Jak and Co. figure out how some Metalhead/ Precursor ship works or Ratchet and Clank get stranded for a while on J&D's world and get help from the other Duo.

Seeing Nathan Drake and Lara Croft team up also is obvious.
Dalisclock said:
A couple weeks ago there was a thread which asked you to combine the two last games you played. I had just played Metro 2033 and was playing Final Fantasy IX. Which still feels appropriate because quite a few of the Final Fantasy games have you stumble across ancient yet still intact ruins and machines/powers from a civilization that is no more. It would be easy enough to posit numerous FF games as the aftermath of a nuclear/magical apocalypse(other then FFVI, which outright states that the world was practically destroyed 1000 years before and mankind is just now back up to the industrial revolution).
Of all the FFs out there, combining Metro 2033 and FFIX is especially frightening. FFIX's world was already full of a "mist" that pollutes an entire continent, creates grotesque monsters, influences warmongering, and makes for a convenient fuel source. Also, IX had what is basically abandoned fantasy subways.

thedoclc

Jun 24, 2008
RJ 17 said:
thedoclc said:
Boo, Shepard's hamster, might be Minsc's hamster Boo from Baldur's Gate I and II.
Don't forget that if you click on the hamster enough when you're retaking your ship during Citadel, Shepard says "If anyone gives you trouble...go for the eyes!" Clearly attacking the eyes is the Space Hamster's preferred combat tactic!

So what does all this mean? Half Life 3 confirmed. :p

Hehe, but seriously, the Game Theorist channel on youtube has a series like this (don't know if they still do it) where they look at easter eggs and "guest appearances" to show how games could "theoretically" be taking place in the same universe. It's a pretty fun watch.
Edited quote.

It's the Tommy Westphall hypothesis for video games.

To do: "There before you stands a hamster the size of a man, its eyes filled with a surprising fury for all its cuteness." rolls dice "Oh no. It went for the eyes. It went for the eyes!"

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Sarge034 said:
Ok, tinfoil hat time... Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Battlefield, Splinter Cell, Halo, Mass Effect, and Destiny.

Feel free to add in any games I missed and why! :D
Well couldn't we staple Warhammer 40k to that? Just say Shepard is the current incarnation of the Emperor of Mankind, and he's learned to distrust xenos and artificial intelligences.
Lets say Liara snubbed him, and in response 5,000 years later he leads Humanity in conquest to erradicate the Asari. Then all the Relays blow up, 'cause the Age of Darkness.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Silentpony said:
Well couldn't we staple Warhammer 40k to that? Just say Shepard is the current incarnation of the Emperor of Mankind, and he's learned to distrust xenos and artificial intelligences.
Lets say Liara snubbed him, and in response 5,000 years later he leads Humanity in conquest to erradicate the Asari. Then all the Relays blow up, 'cause the Age of Darkness.
We could, but my Shep is steady with and committed to Tali so the whole xenophobe thing is kindda out the window for me... We could put Star Craft in as a precursor to all this though. The zerg are primal flood, the protoss are promethean, and terran gonna terran.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Sins of a Solar Empire and EvE Online

The lore really makes it work if you think about it; having the EvE wormhole which allowed New Eden to be colonized being a wormhole open to the Milky Way during the golden age of the Trade Order. The focus on quickly built, massive starships and stations both settings have also shows a common origin in technology.

Lodgem

Dec 11, 2009
Country
Australia
The Elder Scrolls series & The Avernum series (from Spiderweb Software)

I like this theory, but it will be lost on anyone who hasn't played the Avernum games. Some spoilers for Avernum 3, by the way. I have probably spent far too much time thinking about it and this thread has inadvertently given me the excuse I need to inflict it on you all. :)

The games both feature cat people (Nephalim and Khajit are clearly the same race) and lizard people (Sliths and Argonians are probably related, similar to how Bosmer, Altmer etc are related to each other).

The Slithzerikai and the Argonians would have separated many years previously. Either a group of Sliths came to the surface from their home deep underground, or an expedition of Argonians travelled down some ages past becoming the ancestors of the Sliths.

The Vahnatai are originally from the surface, regardless of what they think. The way their technology is based entirely on crystals reminds me of what you see inside the Ayleid ruins, which suggests there may be a link there somewhere. Maybe some of the surviving Ayleid were altered in some way and fled underground. The Vahnatai clearly seem to believe they originally came from the underground region, but a species that has to hibernate regularly in what looks like an artificial environment can't be native to the area. There must have been some decision on the part of the Vahnatai to forget their past, but I suspect one or two of their Crystal Souls may know the truth.

The people in Avernum are not as familiar with the history of the world as those from Tamriel (they refer to the daedra as demons, for example) and the Empire in Avernum doesn't control as much of the world as they claim they do. Whether this is ignorance or propaganda I can't tell.

I would put Avernum 3 at the same time as Oblivion. The main reason is Linda. In Avernum 1 she's playing with summoning demons (daedra) and loses control of one. In Avernum 2 she's still playing with summoning, but doesn't cause too much trouble. In Avernum 3 she's in the Tower of the Magi but this time she does far worse - resulting in the destruction of the tower. She may have been crazy, but why did she fail so much worse the last time? Obviously she didn't realise the separation between her world and Oblivion had been weakened.

The people of Tamriel don't seem to know the other Empire exists, although if I was an Altmer hearing about a powerful xenophobic human empire may encourage me to ensure my people had full control of the continent in case they came for us. Leading, obviously, to recreating the Aldmeri Dominion.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Devil May Cry and Bayonetta.

Given how these two wacky hack and slashers try to stay stylish while fighting, the Twelve only know how a dialogue between the two main protagonists would go.

And it would be awesome!

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Victor Vran and Bloodborne. Two completely different kinds of games, but Victor Vran would be right at home in the world of Bloodborne. Besides, I feel curious about the effect it would have on the feel of Bloodborne to have your character inner-monologuing in Geralt's voice. With that said, I wonder what it would be like to insert Geralt into a game like Bloodborne.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Take an open-world pirate game, any of them, and insert it into the Monkey Island universe.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
sageoftruth said:
Take an open-world pirate game, any of them, and insert it into the Monkey Island universe.
I almost wish they would make a Monkey Island version of Pirates! or Black Flag. They borrowed from Pirates! in Curse, but only in one chapter. Considering Lucasarts/Lucasgames(whatever it is under Disney) stopped caring about any of it's adventure game properties a long time ago, I wonder how hard it would be for someone who cares to get the rights and make a good game out of it. Especially since Escape was really meh and Tales was okay and it would be nice to get another great Monkey Island game to finish off the series with.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
sageoftruth said:
Uh Lego Pirates of the Caribbean and Monkey Island?

CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Devil May Cry and Bayonetta.

Given how these two wacky hack and slashers try to stay stylish while fighting, the Twelve only know how a dialogue between the two main protagonists would go.

And it would be awesome!
Honestly I think Bayonetta and Dante's Inferno would be fun.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
When you stop and think about it, couldn't Fallout and Bioshock possibly be in the same universe? Don't tell me that that wouldn't be at least a little cool. (Would've said Fallout/Metro but someone beat me to it)

Um...Metro and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? (Never actually played the latter)

Oh, and now that I think about it, Pikmin could be in the same universe as any game where some kind of apocalypse happened.

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
This is kind of a cop-out (timeline and all) but I think Rage could be an alternate timeline Doom.

The story in Rage is that an asteroid caused the apocalypse, but I like to imagine it being the result of Flynn not stopping the alien invasion of Earth in Doom 2.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Dalisclock said:
erttheking said:
I've actually read that some of the STALKER devs went to work on Metro, so this works pretty well.
I don't think they can actually be the same world seeing as STALKER takes place before the apocalypse, but the two games do share a lot of thematic elements. That actually applies to most post apoc games from the east though. They kind of have a type.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
nomotog said:
Dalisclock said:
erttheking said:
I've actually read that some of the STALKER devs went to work on Metro, so this works pretty well.
I don't think they can actually be the same world seeing as STALKER takes place before the apocalypse, but the two games do share a lot of thematic elements. That actually applies to most post apoc games from the east though. They kind of have a type.
Yeah but if STALKER is before the apocalypse and Metro is roughly after/during, why can't they be in the same timeline? Sounds like the difference between the Hobbit and LOtR. Its just a matter of time. Literally.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Far Cry 3 (and maybe 4) makes sense if it is in the Assassin's Creed universe. If Brody is genetically an assasim. Brody can sense enemies and animals if he embibes certain herbs (perhap activating his untrained Eagle Vision). Brody can survive extreme physical trauma (another precursor inheritance).

Then there's the strange compass thing you find which could be precursor tech, as well as the visions.

The assassins symbol shows up in DLC and it's made by the same company.

RJ 17 said:
There's evidence to suggest that Mass Effect and Dragon Age actually do share a universe. In ME2's Kasumi DLC there's a statue of a Darkspawn Ogre, and in DA:I, there's a couple places where you can see Krogan heads mounted on a wall as though they were trophies. Perhaps Thedas is a world the Reapers skip over for not being sufficiently advanced? :p
I read a theory years ago that Andraste was a stranded spectre agent. It was enjoyable