Games that could justify the purchase of a gaming system.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
doomspore98 said:
CrystalShadow said:
doomspore98 said:
Even though it came out later, I bought my x-box for the orange box. I love the half life series and having TF2 as well as portal sealed the deal.
Huh. I take it you don't own a PC then... Because source engine games typically run on just about anything.
My parents and I are all mac people. Yes I know it's blasphemy to say it, but obviously the mac does not run games on the best quality. So I bought my x-box
The source engine games are mostly Mac compatible. Look for the little Apple logo on the store pages. That includes TF2, HL2 and episodes.

Considering the age of those games, you should be able to run them on any modern Mac.

JayElleBee

Jul 9, 2010
Xprimentyl said:
I bought my PS3 solely for Heavy Rain. I followed the game's entire developement, and was so pissed it wasn't coming to the Xbox; a few days before it launched, I decided it couldn't pass it up, went and got a PS3.

Sad thing is, I enjoyed Heavy Rain alot, but the system so underwhelmed me, I've only bought 3 more games for it since February 2010, all exclusives, none of which I enjoyed as much as Heavy Rain.
This is pretty much what I came to say. Word for word.

Nyaoku

Jan 7, 2012
N64 for SuperMario64 and PaperMario
PS2 for .hack// series
Xbox for Halo.
Gamecube for Metroid Prime and RE4.
Xbox360 for Left4Dead, Dead Rising, and Halo3
PS3 for Monsterhunter Tri ... then it came out on the Wii.
DS for FinalFantasy tactics A2
PSP for MHFU ^o^ ... and Disgaea
etc ... etc ...
Now looking at a 3ds if I don't see a Monsterhunter game for the PS3 soon.

SycoMantis91

Dec 21, 2011
Gameboy for the first Pokemon games. Xbox for Halo. Only ones I can think of. Shit's too expensive for pretty much any single game to justify the purchase.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Lets see:

I begged and pleaded with my parents to buy me a Gameboy Color, for the sole reason of playing Pokemon Red (and they did).

I bought my Wii solely because Super Smash Bros Brawl was going to be released.

I got myself a new, higher-end gaming computer for the sole reason of playing Starcraft 2. (mostly because the computer I was using at the time was an old, buggy mess. I needed to upgrade anyways, but Starcraft 2 was my driving motivation)

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
Well i upgraded my Graphics card on my PC to play basically any game made by Valve, spent over 1300 hours on Games made by Valve, so i guess you can say it was worth it.

Also bought a Dual-Core Processor to play COD: Black Ops on my PC, game wasn't worth the $60, Dual-Core was worth its price.

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
Rheinmetall said:
SNIPPED
So do you have in mind some games that lead you to purchase a certain gaming system?
TITLE: "Games that could justify the purchase of a gaming system:?

Two different questions, the title question I have a few. Mass Effect is worth buying a PC for, no questions asked, I mean, what a game, amazing stuff, but I didn't buy my current full tower water cooled gaming pc 'just' for that one game, if I had it would've been worth it, but that wasn't my motivation.

Likewise for that same question, Gran Turismo 5 is an incredible game, and totally worth buying a PS3 for, especiall if the PS3 only costs like $200/$300 and you can afford it, but again, I already had my PS3, so I can't claim to use that for your second question either.

I recall (for some demented reason), buying a Nintendo 64 over a Playstation for some non-sense reason given to my by a fellow 7 or 8 year old, which turned out to be a total lie, I don't remember any particular game I wanted for it though.

I 'might've' bought a GameBoy Colour for Pokemon Yellow, but my GameBoy Pocket was broken that same year, so it was technically as a replacement for that lost GameBoy.

I (foolishly) bought an Xbox 360, because my brother had a PS3, but then the penny dropped that I didn't like any of the exlcusive titles, nor was likely to in the future... no particular titles motivated that mistake (I later traded it for my current PS3 slim).

So I'd say there are definately games that justify consoles, I just can't find any history of practicing this myself.

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
If they make Monster Hunter for PSP Vita, I'll buy it
those games are awesome...

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
TBH I dont think there is a game..there as to be a combination of reasons for a systm

like Ive walys wanted to play geard of war...but theres no way I could justify an xbox purchase

Dismal purple

Oct 28, 2010
I've been trying to justifty a PS3 for Dark Souls...

Not going that far though. Maybe after PS4 comes along and I can get it inexpensive as a retro item. Exclusives are the bane of my existence.

targren

May 13, 2009
I bought a PS2 for Soul Reaver II (even though it took forever to come out) and Final Fantasy X (What a stupid decision THAT was).

It worked out well, though. The PS2 era was pretty much the end of the golden age of the JRPG.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
I bought a 360 for Halo 3, and now that I think about it I originally bought my PC to play Spore. Sadly the finished product didn't nearly live up to the concepts that they had talked about earlier on in the development. Either way I got my original Pc out of it, then upgraded it to run Tf2 on max settings, and then eventually completely rebuilt it for Skyrim's launch.

Something that seems kind of sad but somewhat inevitable is that I'm likely going to buy a Wii(after having sold mine to a friend) simply to play Skyward Sword and to re-play Twilight Princess...

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I bought my PC for Photoshop, then I threw a GPU at it for games. It is totally worth the expense of a PC for Photoshop.

I upgraded to a GTX 580 for Metro 2033 when I already had a more than adequate HD 4890, the GTX 580 still wouldn't run it a full settings. I'll probably justify buying the new Nvidia 600 series if I buy one by saying I need it for Battlefield 3.

EDIT: OK Gimp is good, great in fact, but let's face it the industry standard is Photoshop and I have at least twelve years invested in it. I won't be changing any time soon.

scyther250

Jun 7, 2010
I got a Wii purely for Smash Bros and the other first party games, such as Metroid and Zelda titles, and exclusives such as any Tales games and the Baten Kaitos sequel that never materialized.

I'll probably be getting a Wii U just for Smash Bros and other first party games, too.

legendp

Jul 9, 2010
I bought my 360 elite in late 2008 for halo 3, bioshock and cod4 (don't judge me), At the time I had a ps2 and a 2005 inspiron 6000 with 2gb ram upgraded dell laptop with a x300 64mb graphics card that squeezed out 12fps in crysis on lowest 640x480 and about 30fps in the original fear, so console was the choice considering my 64mb graphics chip barely managed 30fps on low in cod4, but since then I have got a desktop (9800gt) that can run crysis great on high (not very high). and I almost forgot that I basically bought the PS2 for bounout takedown

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
I'd say None, as i am hard pressed to say that a single game demands the purchase of a whole System.

But then i remember how i bought a Wii sorely because i played Demos of Dead Space Extraction and Silent Hill and worse, bought a DS pretty much just for Hotel Dusk (although i bought Advance Wars and a Homebrew Thingie Card to play ScummVM with it)

Sooo, i guess that is the answer?