Games that deliver more than you expected.

CrysisMcGee

Sep 2, 2009
Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis was advertised as a war shooter, and that is all I expected.

What I didn't expect was something other games boast about. Non-Linearity. The game is made to reflect the real world. Anything you an do in the real world, you can do here. Hell you can leave your troops, go half-way across the island, hijack an enemy tank or helicopter, and blow the enemies to bits. Freedom of choice is something they worked on quite a bit in this game, and they didn't even make it a selling point.

Why? Because they were going for realism. This game delivered so much more than I thought it would, including getting killed in a single shot. Best game I ever played.

So what have you played that delivered more than it promised?

VonKludge

Feb 28, 2008
Operation Flashpoint, man that brings back memories.

Hell! I've lost count of the "arrested by MPs" game over screens I've got.

jebus4you

Jul 11, 2009
lego star wars sacred the crap out of me with the fun characters, combat, and tricky levels.
Also when i bought WoW i didnt think i would still be plying it

rickthetrick

Jun 19, 2009
Well I had no idea what I was buying when I got Shadow complex for x box live. I was so psyched when I realized it was like castlevania sotn, metal gear, and strider had a threeway and somehow produced this lil lovechild. I must have played that thing for a week straight.

Halfbreed13

Apr 21, 2009
ZenoClash
Demo art looked like some samurai game, little did I know I would get the best brawler evar!

Pyre00

Mar 17, 2009
Killing Floor.
Was only 20 dollars on Steam, but it's twice as fun and replayable as Left 4 Dead.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
CrysisMcGee said:
Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis was advertised as a war shooter, and that is all I expected.

What I didn't expect was something other games boast about. Non-Linearity. The game is made to reflect the real world. Anything you an do in the real world, you can do here. Hell you can leave your troops, go half-way across the island, hijack an enemy tank or helicopter, and blow the enemies to bits. Freedom of choice is something they worked on quite a bit in this game, and they didn't even make it a selling point.

Why? Because they were going for realism. This game delivered so much more than I thought it would, including getting killed in a single shot. Best game I ever played.

So what have you played that delivered more than it promised?
Killzone II. The first was decent, apart from the actual shooting mechanics and framrates. II improved on the story, the single player campaign's addictive, pretty, and no slowdown at all.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Halfbreed13 said:
ZenoClash
Demo art looked like some samurai game, little did I know I would get the best brawler evar!
Really? It looked like Oblivion set in the cro-magnon man ages, except unlike Oblivion, it looked decent.

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
Pyre00 said:
Killing Floor.
Was only 20 dollars on Steam, but it's twice as fun and replayable as Left 4 Dead.
Really? It didn't get that many good reviews... What's it like?

atomictoast

Aug 7, 2009
The Biggest Surprise for me ever will always be TF2. I expected a decent class-based multiplayer FPS to play for a week or two after finishing everything else.

In the end, it became what I have no doubt is the best online FPS I've ever played, just purely from how much it continues to grow! It started with a tiny 6 maps and basic weapons, now there's so much to do in it!

mr man

Jul 27, 2009
ah yes operation flashpoint. never has hijacking a tractor been so satisfying.

OT: mine would have to soldiers heroes of ww2. i picked it up thinking it would be a good substitute for company of heroes but it was miles better.

Halfbreed13

Apr 21, 2009
Daedalus1942 said:
Halfbreed13 said:
ZenoClash
Really? It looked like Oblivion set in the cro-magnon man ages, except unlike Oblivion, it looked decent.
I was referring to the icon on steam. Looking back, it was wierd, but sometimes first glances are off >.>

ajb924

Jun 3, 2009
The World Ends With You. I was expecting a decent story and good art. I wasn't expecting a story to pull you in and not let go until you have unlocked EVERYTHING. Then there are the most amazingly developed charecters i have ever seen. Even more, the dialouge was so well written i can't even begin to describe... I can't believe i got it used for 10 bucks

Archetype

Oct 1, 2008
Fallout, Fallout 3, and probably soon Fallout 2. Fallout 3 definitely scared me...

Spellforce: The Order of Dawn and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic both surprised me, however that was quite some time ago.

KedynCrow

Sep 23, 2009
Thief: Deadly Shadows. Honestly, I played the first two and was rather addicted. Great stealth-based gameplay in an awesome steam-punk medieval setting with the requisite crazy nature people and crazy religious people.

And then I met Shalebridge Cradle. Never did I wish so fervently that it was merely a dozen guards screaming for my blood...One of my all time favorite levels. Totally made the game for me.