Games that deliver more than you expected.

Manhattan2112

Jul 5, 2009
I... don't game like I used to. Time to retreat to my childhood, and find one. If I recall, I was rather impressed with how much game play I got with the horribly written "Resident Evil Code Veronica". I guess I was also surprised with Crash Bandicoot 2's (and 3's) secret levels, and challenges. Yeah... I guess I need more games. xD

IAmWright777

Sep 25, 2009
ajb924 said:
The World Ends With You. I was expecting a decent story and good art. I wasn't expecting a story to pull you in and not let go until you have unlocked EVERYTHING. Then there are the most amazingly developed charecters i have ever seen. Even more, the dialouge was so well written i can't even begin to describe... I can't believe i got it used for 10 bucks
Yes I really do agree with you. I didn't expect that much from it, but definitely happy with it.

thel1st

Apr 8, 2009
b b b bioshock hands down, plot out the wazoo which is rare in good shooters these days

Sgtkillalot0

Sep 29, 2009
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, at least 300+ hours put into that game, counting only one save file. It's that good.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
I'll probably flamed for it, but I'd say Too Human. Yes it was crappy is aspects, but as far as delivering more than expected, lets just say I wasn't expecting much. The inventory and amount of customization you have when you hit the higher levels in that game is just amazing, even if anything else isn't - but I'm one of the few that had a fun time with it anyway

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
Paperboy! Get it?

OT:
ajb924 said:
The World Ends With You. I was expecting a decent story and good art. I wasn't expecting a story to pull you in and not let go until you have unlocked EVERYTHING. Then there are the most amazingly developed charecters i have ever seen. Even more, the dialouge was so well written i can't even begin to describe... I can't believe i got it used for 10 bucks
Lucky you. You stole my answer, and you got a better deal on the game than me.

Sgtkillalot0

Sep 29, 2009
Oh, forgot about Project: Snowblind, the games' weapon's alt fires were amazing to me when I was 11...

Also Hijacking Mechs? Awesome.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I was never that big of a fan of the ODST's in the Halo universe and frankly I am amazed by how much time I spent playing ODST. I'm amazed how amazed I was that I found the game amazing.

KingParappa

Apr 16, 2009
atomictoast said:
The Biggest Surprise for me ever will always be TF2. I expected a decent class-based multiplayer FPS to play for a week or two after finishing everything else.

In the end, it became what I have no doubt is the best online FPS I've ever played, just purely from how much it continues to grow! It started with a tiny 6 maps and basic weapons, now there's so much to do in it!
I agree...

Akaros

Feb 8, 2008
Two things. First, like IdealistCommi, I picked up Persona 3 thinking it would be a decent time waster and ended up loving it, it still remains my favorite story in a video game.

The other is a mod for halflife 2 called Dystopia. I was pretty new to mods at that point, and just downloaded it on a whim. I've now played it on and off for years, thanks to it's ridiculous staying power.

Acidoctor

Apr 18, 2009
Sgtkillalot0 said:
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, at least 300+ hours put into that game, counting only one save file. It's that good.
It is really great game! The game that scared the shit out of me with it's awesomeness might be Stalker (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.): Shadow of Chernobyl. I just wasn't ready for it!

Oh, also Resident Evil 4, I thought It would suck.

JonnoStrife

Sep 5, 2009
Sgtkillalot0 said:
Final Fantasy Tactics for the PSP was great two. I never had the chance to play Tactics Advance.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
CoD4. Because CoD3 was disappointing, and I don't usually like the jingoism of war-based games, but CoD4 absolutely surpassed all my expectations. It had a great story, diversity of missions and interesting characters.

tooktook

Feb 13, 2008
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood (So much better than everyone said); Defense Grid; Dark Messiah (Really great medieval game); Prince of Persia

Mopbucket

Aug 4, 2009
Sonny and Sonny 2. Free flash games almost universally suck, but these were actually better than 90% of the crap on store shelves.