Games that got ruined in sequels

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Cypher10110 said:
I find it interesting that most of the sequels you mention are part of longer franchises.
Its strange how with video games sequels are almost mandatory, I mean it sells copies right?
Where as in the movie industry (at least from my perspective) the real gems are films that don't have sequels because they don't need them.
e.g.
Donnie Darko

cuz you wouldnt watch a sequel to a film with a different writer/director/actors right?
e.g.
donnie darko has a sequel, about his little sister, called S.Darko i think
case in point - 28 weeks later was terrible, and guess what? it had a different director and such

Final Fantasy 12 sucks compared to the others.

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
Cypher10110 said:
I find it interesting that most of the sequels you mention are part of longer franchises.
Its strange how with video games sequels are almost mandatory, I mean it sells copies right?
Where as in the movie industry (at least from my perspective) the real gems are films that don't have sequels because they don't need them.
e.g.
Donnie Darko
Fight Club
Shawshank Redemption
Primer

In my opion, most games with "2" suck, but if the series makes it to "3", they start to get the gist of what people want from their games. Heres some examples:

UT(good) > UT2k3(suck) > UT2k4(good)

Devil May Cry > DMC2(suck) > DMC3(good - well better I guess, not as good as 4 imo)

Red faction(good) > Red faction 2(suck)

Deus Ex(good) > Deus Ex 2(suck)

Metal Gear Solid(good) > MGS2(suck) > MGS3(good - well at least it was snake again, but I actually stopped playing half way through because I really hated the way the story was being told)

Halo is a little different, as the singleplayer got worse and the multiplayer got better.
Halo(good) > Halo 2(worse single better multi) > Halo 3 (terrible single and good multi)

I havn't played these sequels, but these are differentbecause a diferent team gets the licence to call their game "2" which really pisses me off, cuz you wouldnt watch a sequel to a film with a different writer/director/actors right?
e.g.
Operation Flashpoint > Operation Flashpoint 2
F.E.A.R. > F.E.A.R.2 (originally, then FEAR2 fell through, and the real team got it back)
CoD Even numbers > CoD odd numbers

Or what about sequels that have nothing to do with the previous game?
Final Fantasy games
Far Cry > Far Cry 2

Gotta say as far as Diablo/Diablo 2 and Warcraft 1/2/3, a progression that just got better I think, let's hope Starcraft 2 follows the trend ^^
Where does Red Faction: Guerilla stand in this list of yours?

slipknot4

Feb 19, 2009
Halo - halo 2, halo had a story
Cod 4 - Cod 5, no one likes ww2 anyway...
Ratchet and clank - RnC 2, not enough challenge and difficulty
Ratchet and clank Up your Arsenal - deadlocked, i enjoyed the game all right. But it was short.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
CWestfall said:
Call of Duty. I LOVED Call of Duty. I spent hours playing United Offensive on-line as late as 2007. Finally, it seemed like it was me and maybe 30 other people who still did, and so I had to move on to Call of Duty 4.

I barely recognised the game. Their efforts to make it appeal to a larger target audience resulted in every server being filled with idiots who used grenades as their primary weapon and rocket launchers for a secondary. I missed the much more intuitive system in CoD:UO where American soldiers only used American guns, German soldiers used German guns, etc. and where they made you work like a dog to use things like artillery instead of getting lucky and having your grenade kill 5 people at once. There was none of this rank malarkey, you started off as a Pvt. every new round and had to work all over again from the same bonuses, which made more sense than levelling up so your nation won't be cheapskates and give you better weapons. "I'm sorry, we're not going to give you a better weapon until you kill X number of Germans, or happen to be on a team where they do kill many Germans. You see, we don't trust that we trained you well enough, so we're going to give you a shitty gun made of ass and recoil so you can go out and die."

Also, vehicles. You can brag about how CoD:WaW has tanks, but guess what? CoD:UO not only had tanks, but also jeeps and heavy tanks. It took the idiots who took over the franchise a long time to realise they maybe they should re-add 33% of the content everyone loved, but was cut out 5 years ago.

I could go on but I think I'll leave it there.
I... I think that you are the greatest person ever. You've said almost everything that I have said. I swear you have no ideas how many hours of my life has gone into Call of Duty: United Offensive. It was possibly one of the best games of all time if not just for the multiplayer, and the single player campaign was fun as well. What was your name on multiplayer, just wondering. I was Dr. Death colored red white and blue.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to say BioShock... even thought the second one is not out yet, the information released on it makes no effort to be like the first game at all. That's what a sequel is and if you take all of the story elements out of the sequel, then it just doesn't make sense.

OniSuika

Jul 11, 2009
Although it is a brilliant game, I think GTA4 ruined the GTA franchise. While it is an excellent game with a very well told story, it just isn't a GTA game. The Saints Row series is the new GTA if you ask me.

Sviests

Jun 15, 2009
StevieWonderMk2 said:
Sviests said:
CoD4 is so cool blah blah awesome blah badass.... rubbish!!
I was a major fan of CoD 1, CoD 2 was ok, CoD 3 was just plain wrong and CoD 4... don`t get me started!! Yes it was cool and awesome, but it wasn`t Call of Duty anymore. Yes, they added Captain Price to make it feel like old CoD (I hope someone knows what i`m talking `bout). It was all about WWII, but why modern warfare? They could made a game about WWI (now that`s cool). If they would change the name of game and CUT THE "Call of Duty" OUT!
*phew*

I`m sure most of you don`t agree with me, but for me... it didn`t feel like CoD.
Doesn't that strike you as a really superficial way to judge the game? It doesn't FEEL like the one's before hand? If it was part of one continuous story perhaps I could understand (Imagine if Return of the King turned into a romcom) but they're entirely discrete games.

From your post I get the impression you actually like the game, apart from the "feel". Are you actually saying that dropping those three words would make Modern Warfare a better game?
Quite yes. The 4th game just does not fit in. Yes, yes they are completely discrete games about unknown (well not quite unknown) main character. Believe me, if you were such a big fan of the first game, not franchise and BAM you get a game about modern. I was just disappointed and sad. The game`s not bad, just i wanted something special and awesome. It`s just my humble opinion.

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
Warcraft III was awesome. WoW is dreadful.

Final Fantasy X was great. The next (real) sequel Final Fantasy XII was awful.

I also thought the first Halo was great. Halo 2 and 3 however....not so much.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
Juraz said:
rabidmidget said:
i am surprised no one has mentioned sonic the hedgehog
What is this game you are talking about? it doesn't exist. Back on topic though ill have to say Kotor not that Kotor 2 was horrid it was nice but yeah the story wasn't as good as the first kotor, the game play was great and the way it was presented was decently put but yeah just lacked something (most probably the ultimate revelation)
I agree, both were great, but KOTOR 2 was missing something for me... I can't decide what it is though.
If I had designed KOTOR 2, I would make it so it would allow me to continue with my KOTOR character, and the story would either be one of redemption of my evil character or destruction of the Republic/Sith

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Final Fantasy X2 - the first direct sequel to a Final Fantasy Game.

This is why it was terrible:

1) Took out all the interesting characters
2) Made it so that you only had a maximum of three characters in your party - not your fighting party, your ENTIRE party. There is only three characters total in your party. No one else joins.
3) The story was laughable and uninteresting, and the mission based system did not build up the story effectively
4) The bloody cinematic you'd be forced to watch when changing "dresses".
5) The ridiculously annoying antics and voices of two of the three main characters
6) Yuna's running animation resembled a ditz walking around with a screwdriver in her brain
7) The dress designs were all stupid with the exception of the white-mage.
8) Multiple endings, one of which required you to play through it twice (as if once wasn't bad enough)
9) Judging by the dialogue, "accessories" and general feel of the game, I am 90% certain it was designed by a 14 year old pop obsessed Japanese girl.

It was an awful game, simply awful. But SquareEnix thought - "hey, dress Yuna up in hotpants and expose her midriff and we'll make millions!"

And they were right.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
nettkenneth said:
resistance fall of man > resistance 2
True I liked SR(2) more then GTA4 its more less realistic and more fun.....

also
Fable 2, Free-rom my arse it sucked more then the first one

World at War (comes on we know that Modern Warfare was much better, also it was not made by infinity ward, thats why its bad, Infinityward know how to make War games)

also if you ask me enough of the WW2 games and more with modern war games....or WW2<MW