Games that got ruined in sequels

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
Halo 2. I thought that Combat Evolved was excellent, but Halo 2 took away the big environments and got rid of all the best weapons. The multi-player was worse because the tried to make it more 'balanced' which actually made it worse. Playing as the Arbiter was pretty cool but was used way to much. I am looking forward to ODST though.

Inco

Swarm Agent
Sep 12, 2008
Ham Blitz said:
I will have to say, it wasn't total crap, but I would have to put Fable 2 on that list. They changed some things, but in the end, almost everything you did in Fable 2 seemed more fun in the first game, especially the combat.
I would probably add COD 5 just because COD 4 seemed to hold my interest much longer, and I only did the COD 5 campaign for Nazi Zombies, which I then barely played (Partially because of Left 4 Dead, I think)
You read my mind.
Thats exactly what i was thinking, like in fable 2 everything was supposed to be 'bigger' and 'better'. While the bigger part was awesome, the better part was left out. It just didn't feel like the game which i loved, bugs and all.
Though its a bit unfair to say COD 5 is a sequel to COD 4, the true sequel is coming out later this year don't forget. 5 was a 'sequel' (when i say that i mean another WW2 game) to 3.

Jun 11, 2008
Cod4 wasn't as good as 2 in my eyes but 2 set the bar very high that said it was great it was just missing something 2 had an WaW completely missed the point.

Halos did get progressively worse campaign wise but at least they were consistent.

FFX-2 for me I thought was very bad.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Neverwinter Nights 2 was horrible. It ruined a game that had a great community for 7 years...

Snoopster

Dec 17, 2008
spiderman 2 = best game ever for managing to pass time without ever doing much i.e just swinging around with the occasional fight
spiderman 3 somehow did it badly (you'd think they'd just use past success), made combat worse then cocked everything else up and bored me so much I only remember how crap it was

Snoopster

Dec 17, 2008
Glademaster said:
Cod4 wasn't as good as 2 in my eyes but 2 set the bar very high that said it was great it was just missing something 2 had an WaW completely missed the point.

Halos did get progressively worse campaign wise but at least they were consistent.

FFX-2 for me I thought was very bad.
I agree with the cod stuff, I hated waw so much I didn't even complete it but at least modern warfare 2 promises to be exceptional
should be one promise I can safely believe

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Bioshock 2, for removing all the charming and immersive exploration atmosphere in favour of endless identical high powered battle after battle in endless run and gun style... oh wait that hasn't been made yet.

I have to go with Fable 2, thanks Pete for cutting out nearly every single thing that I ever liked about one of my favourites and not replacing them with anything substansial.

... look at me I resisted the urge to talk back to the guy who made a huge totally biased uninformed (according to me anyway) post about his loathing for Halo 2,3. This might be the first time I... oh wait nevermind.

Lowbreed

Jul 4, 2009
Arisato-kun said:
Warcraft III was awesome. WoW is dreadful.
How can you say that a MMORPG is the sequel to a RTS? I mean sure lore wise you might say its the next piece, but 'game' wise it isn't a sequel.

Burnout 2 (which was awesome) - Burnout 3, man I hated the new boost bars.

I don't really think that this counts as sequels as such, but the two addons (TBC and WOTLK) ruined WoW in my opinion.

Megaman X3-X4, Zero ...

Super Mario Strikers - Strikers Charged. Very elitist online mode took the fun out of bashing people into walls.

Jun 8, 2009
sms_117b said:
Every game in the SmackDown! vs RAW franchise has been worse than it's predecessor.

Guitar Hero, long, slow slide down hill, although this could also be attributed to the novelty wearing off, I however like to think the tracks on the newer games just suck.

Total War, Empire and Medieval 2 seem to be going downhill.
I actually liked Medieval 2 more than Rome. I can't comment on Empire.

I found the fighting and strategy in Medieval 2 to be quite a bit better. That said, the cavalry were completely over-powered and handled like a bull in a supermarket, but then again, cavalry were both much more powerful then, and generally hard to control, so I could forgive that. Everything else I found to be better or at least the same as Rome. Thats just my opinion though.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within.
No No No No No No. this was not the game I feel in love with. this is not the game that gave me characters to love, that had a wonderful, charming and whimsical nature, that was just no much fun to play and experience. This was misogynistic, snarling piece of trash that trampled over eveyrthing I had loved from the first.

Missionforce: Cyberstorm. ok, the original was complex enough to demand turn based play as opposed to real time... but RTS was the big thing, so it got made into a clunky, ugly RTS that reduced the scope, tactics and customization that sucked me into the first one.

Snoopster

Dec 17, 2008
OniSuika said:
Although it is a brilliant game, I think GTA4 ruined the GTA franchise. While it is an excellent game with a very well told story, it just isn't a GTA game. The Saints Row series is the new GTA if you ask me.
maybe so but GTA4 is still the better than either saints row in my mind

BolognaBaloney

Mar 17, 2009
Snoopster said:
OniSuika said:
Although it is a brilliant game, I think GTA4 ruined the GTA franchise. While it is an excellent game with a very well told story, it just isn't a GTA game. The Saints Row series is the new GTA if you ask me.
maybe so but GTA4 is still the better than either saints row in my mind
Eh, it's more impressive, but considerably less fun.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Xerosch said:
Condemned 2 was a huge letdown
Really I didn't think it was that bad. The combat was much much better. Like the best combat of any game I've played, slamming an elbow into a guy's face, smashing his skull in with a brick and the sound and visceral impact a bullet made.

Sure there were a few moments that I choose to forget like the clockwork pyscho ***** that made no sense, but despite what Yahtzee said the whole "indigo prophecy syndrome" was present in the first game as well.

Mad Maniac with axe-firing chainsaw said:
sms_117b said:
Total War, Empire and Medieval 2 seem to be going downhill.
I actually liked Medieval 2 more than Rome. I can't comment on Empire.

I found the fighting and strategy in Medieval 2 to be quite a bit better. That said, the cavalry were completely over-powered and handled like a bull in a supermarket, but then again, cavalry were both much more powerful then, and generally hard to control, so I could forgive that. Everything else I found to
be better or at least the same as Rome. Thats just my opinion though.
I found the degree of tactics with units much more limited in Medieval 2, in Rome nearly every unit had 1-2 skills/advantages and twice as many weaknesses, you had to use everyone wisely. Eg. Javelin the phalanx before wheeling light cavalry in their behind before pulling back for an infantry charge. Medieval was "hmmm should I charge everything, yeah why the hell not", it was a lot more you would definitely win or lose less room for the heroic victorys of Rome.

That said it was still quite engrossing and I am proud to say I have destroyed the Mongol as Turks in that game.

Empire had the unit diversity and better tactics, but I found every nation identical and was disappointed by the tiny cities. Paris looked like it had a population of under a thousand.

I would have loved city battles the size of the old games with strategic buildings on each corner, bridges over canals that could be destroyed, hordes of armed civillians and the ability to make walls out of ripped up cobblestones.

A completely different sort of tactics would be needed, sure you could just artillery the city to nothing, but then you gain little from its capture, to insure the best post victory occupations you would have to carefully root out all of the defenders. Units without guns but with swords would suddenly be much more deadly as the could swarm attackers in tight alleyways where their can't get a good volley off.

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
CkretAznMan said:
How about Halo 2? I personally thought that Halo 1 was okay, but Halo 2 was just really bad.
I'm glad to finally hear another person think the same thing about halo 2. A sequel that I think was ruined was Star Wars Battlefront, most of the maps in the second game sucked ass.

Kailon791

Jul 16, 2009
CoD5 pretty much failed at delievering any of the fun, involvement, or addicitng muliplayer that CoD4 had.

and why are you guys hating Gears of War 2? personally I think it is bounds better then the first game. It has a much more ballanced multiplayer experience, less lag, and less people dropping. The campaign is more believable, and varied, in the places you go and what you do once your there.