Games that got ruined in sequels

mayhar

Jul 15, 2009
Any games you have played, loved and the sequel was crap.....
For me it would have to be burnout 3 to burnout paradise, that was baaad, SSX Tricky to any of the others, Unreal tournament 2004 to UT3, which was rubbish, oh and Duke Nukem 3D, though its that fact that after 12 YEARS they decided to bin Duke Nukem Forever, it looked soooo good. I was bummed.....

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
I will have to say, it wasn't total crap, but I would have to put Fable 2 on that list. They changed some things, but in the end, almost everything you did in Fable 2 seemed more fun in the first game, especially the combat.
I would probably add COD 5 just because COD 4 seemed to hold my interest much longer, and I only did the COD 5 campaign for Nazi Zombies, which I then barely played (Partially because of Left 4 Dead, I think)

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
How about Halo 2? I personally thought that Halo 1 was okay, but Halo 2 was just really bad.

Neotericity

Legal Assassin
May 20, 2009
gears of war 2 was a big letdown same with all Pokemon games that came after Red and Blue version.

CNKFan

Aug 20, 2008
Mercenaries 2 was a letdown. On another note why does everyone one this site hate WaW and don't just say that Treyarch made it. I want a real reason.

Unreliable

Jul 14, 2009
I'll start the inevitable flame war with Halo 2 and Halo 3.

First of all, I'll defend the multiplayer as a fantastic gaming experience, no argument.

But the singleplayer blew, and everyone is so reluctant to acknowledge it.

Everyone got all excited for part 2 with the whole alien invasion of Earth teaser trailer, and the game really delivered on that for the first 3 levels. Aside from the inexplicable re-emergence of the cliche black stereotype, and the new bimbo captain, the plot got off to an okay start, and the gameplay was fun, fighting through the corridors of Earth against an invasion complete with Imperial walkers.
But then it all goes to shit, you take control of some middle aged alien douchebag, having a mid life crisis, taking the entire Halo universe plotline (which till that point was not exactly original, but still wide open and loaded with potential) and driving in down Cliche Street to the corner of Predictible Avenue and Rehashed Tripe Blvd. Oh, gee shucks, you mean the psuedo-religious aliens are actually bufoons, and the humans and good aliens have to team up to stop the misguided aliens and the [strikeout] Headcrabs [/strikeout] er I mean [strikeout] John Carpenters The Thing [/strikeout], er the Flood, that cliche parasite thing that made for the worst gameplay of Halo 1. Oh and the shitty cliffhanger ending.
And then Halo 3 is guilty of following through on the shitty storyline clearly set up by Halo 2, the game tries to make everything reminicint of Halo 1 by having similar levels, characters die off in similar fashion, forced drama, and only minor tweaks to gameplay, all to bring about that bland unoriginal, uninspired finale (not the part with the 2 walkers, that was one of the few very fun moments). Halo 2 and 3 are to story what Family Guy is to animated entertainment. It's not that it isnt occasionally amusing or entertaining, its that it is a total bland plagarism, full of cliches, and no one involved seemed like they were trying all that hard.

Blackadder51

Escapecraft Operator
Jun 25, 2009
dragonsatemymarbles said:
Crash Bandicoot: Warped --> Crash Team Racing.
Did he HAVE to rip off Mario Kart?
yes he did, and he a dam good job at it too

Side note: I love your avatar, Father Jack was one of the best characters... 'DRINK, FECK, ARSE"

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
CNKFan said:
Mercenaries 2 was a letdown. On another note why does everyone one this site hate WaW and don't just say that Treyarch made it. I want a real reason.
I didn't say I didn't like because Treyarch made it. To me something about it didn't seem that entertaining. It might of been partially because of the fact that since it used the format of COD 4 I was used to more modern style weapons in it, and the tanks were sort of cheap.
tellmeimaninja said:
Ham Blitz said:
I will have to say, it wasn't total crap, but I would have to put Fable 2 on that list. They changed some things, but in the end, almost everything you did in Fable 2 seemed more fun in the first game, especially the combat.
I would probably add COD 5 just because COD 4 seemed to hold my interest much longer, and I only did the COD 5 campaign for Nazi Zombies, which I then barely played (Partially because of Left 4 Dead, I think)
Firstly, World at War is NOT CoD5; Secondly, of course World at War sucked. Treyarch made it!
Well, I guess if you count the multiple Call of Duty 2s or 3s, I forget which one it was, but there was just the normal named one then the "Big Red One" version, Call of Duty: World at War could be considered the six Call of Duty game.

rhyno435

Apr 24, 2009
CNKFan said:
WWII.

I don't hate WaW though, but I definetely thought MW was much better.

Keldon888

Apr 25, 2009
tellmeimaninja said:
Ham Blitz said:
Firstly, World at War is NOT CoD5; Secondly, of course World at War sucked. Treyarch made it!
I wouldn't say Treyarch even made it, its more like a watered down version of cod 4. Remember all those Half Life mods? That's what WaW feels like, "oh hey this is a neat thing they did" and its a fun little occasional diversion from the real game of cod 4.

VGZombie

Jul 14, 2009
Halo 2.
I enjoyed Halo:CE a lot more. Halo 3 was okay-ish though.

CNKFan said:
I personally didn't think it was terrible, but many compare it to CoD4, and Modern Warfare is much better.