Games that got ruined in sequels

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
Red Faction 2. Red Faction was incredible and great fun. Then 2 pissed upon it's corpse by removing the one place streaming, replacing it with a mission format, adding in annoying team characters and being so fucking monotonous. Thank god for Red Faction: Guerilla.

I don't hate Call of Duty: World At War. But compared to Modern Warfare, it's a pale imitator. It's not even that fun anyway.

May 1, 2009
Legacy of Kain: Defiance switched Developers and it was terrible. The gameplay aspect, at least. I mean the story was still fantastic but it took literally AGES to get on with it. The entire game consisted of linear corridors, awkward combat and endlessly repetetive "go here fetch that" quests in different colored temples each with three rooms. There was no puzzle aspect in it unless you count figuring out how to swim or jump as a puzzle. Although jumping to a single platform really was like a puzzle with all the terrible camera angles. Anyone who's played the game probably remembers the part in Vorador's Mansion when you have to jump from pillar to pillar in the courtyard while the camera angle switches every two seconds and you're supposed to steer your jumps correctly. Fall and you have to go all the way back through the mansion, fight off the zombies, switch back and forth between material and spectral realms, climb out the window, jump to a pillar, and fall off again. It was sheer madness. After trying and failing at this about fifteen times (and each try takes about five mind-numbingingly-frustrating minutes, mind you) I threw my controller at my TV and didn't play the game for almost three months. I began playing it again and after getting past that little jewel I've realized that the rest of the game sucks just as much. Even the parts when you play as Kain are terrible. He's advertised as "Gaming's most evil badass" and yet this is what he's giving me. The game makes an absolute mockery of a once great series.

Ok I'm done.

EDIT: Looking back on it however, I did enjoy the Cardboard Tube Reaver cheat. I had a lot of fun beating people to death with a cardboard tube while Kain taunted them ("Fear... the TUBE!")

CloudKiller

Rather Irritated Mage
Jun 30, 2008
The Ruler of Nosgoth said:
Legacy of Kain: Defiance switched Developers and it was terrible. The gameplay aspect, at least. I mean the story was still fantastic but it took literally AGES to get on with it. The entire game consisted of linear corridors, awkward combat and endlessly repetetive "go here fetch that" quests in different colored temples each with three rooms. There was no puzzle aspect in it unless you count figuring out how to swim or jump as a puzzle. Although jumping to a single platform really was like a puzzle with all the terrible camera angles. Anyone who's played the game probably remembers the part in Vorador's Mansion when you have to jump from pillar to pillar in the courtyard while the camera angle switches every two seconds and you're supposed to steer your jumps correctly. Fall and you have to go all the way back through the mansion, fight off the zombies, switch back and forth between material and spectral realms, climb out the window, jump to a pillar, and fall off again. It was sheer madness. After trying and failing at this about fifteen times (and each try takes about five mind-numbingingly-frustrating minutes, mind you) I threw my controller at my TV and didn't play the game for almost three months. I began playing it again and after getting past that little jewel I've realized that the rest of the game sucks just as much. Even the parts when you play as Kain are terrible. He's advertised as "Gaming's most evil badass" and yet this is what he's giving me. The game makes an absolute mockery of a once great series.

Ok I'm done.
This, but also FF X-2 and FF XII

Cypher10110

Jul 16, 2009
I find it interesting that most of the sequels you mention are part of longer franchises.
Its strange how with video games sequels are almost mandatory, I mean it sells copies right?
Where as in the movie industry (at least from my perspective) the real gems are films that don't have sequels because they don't need them.
e.g.
Donnie Darko
Fight Club
Shawshank Redemption
Primer

In my opion, most games with "2" suck, but if the series makes it to "3", they start to get the gist of what people want from their games. Heres some examples:

UT(good) > UT2k3(suck) > UT2k4(good)

Devil May Cry > DMC2(suck) > DMC3(good - well better I guess, not as good as 4 imo)

Red faction(good) > Red faction 2(suck)

Deus Ex(good) > Deus Ex 2(suck)

Metal Gear Solid(good) > MGS2(suck) > MGS3(good - well at least it was snake again, but I actually stopped playing half way through because I really hated the way the story was being told)

Halo is a little different, as the singleplayer got worse and the multiplayer got better.
Halo(good) > Halo 2(worse single better multi) > Halo 3 (terrible single and good multi)

I havn't played these sequels, but these are differentbecause a diferent team gets the licence to call their game "2" which really pisses me off, cuz you wouldnt watch a sequel to a film with a different writer/director/actors right?
e.g.
Operation Flashpoint > Operation Flashpoint 2
F.E.A.R. > F.E.A.R.2 (originally, then FEAR2 fell through, and the real team got it back)
CoD Even numbers > CoD odd numbers

Or what about sequels that have nothing to do with the previous game?
Final Fantasy games
Far Cry > Far Cry 2

Gotta say as far as Diablo/Diablo 2 and Warcraft 1/2/3, a progression that just got better I think, let's hope Starcraft 2 follows the trend ^^

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
dragonsatemymarbles said:
Crash Bandicoot: Warped --> Crash Team Racing.
Did he HAVE to rip off Mario Kart?
You sir, are a crazy person. It may of been a "mario kart clone", but it was a goddam good cart game.
Cypher10110 said:
Where as in the movie industry (at least from my perspective) the real gems are films that don't have sequels because they don't need them.
e.g.
Donnie Darko
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is a sequel to Donnie Darko. Check IMDB for S.Darko, it's an atrocity on a new level. Also, Deus Ex 2 didn't suck, it just wasn't Deus Ex.

I fully expect Bioshock 2 to sully the franchise name. Other than that, most franchise with several sequels have found a way to redeem themselves. For instance Suikoden. 1 and 2 were awesome, 3 was eh, 4 was horribad, but 5 brought the series back to being good.

Xanadeas

Oct 19, 2008
Cypher10110 said:
I find it interesting that most of the sequels you mention are part of longer franchises.
Its strange how with video games sequels are almost mandatory, I mean it sells copies right?
e.g.
Donnie Darko
Fight Club
Shawshank Redemption
Primer

In my opion, most games with "2" suck, but if the series makes it to "3", they start to get the gist of what people want from their games. Heres some examples:

Devil May Cry > DMC2(suck) > DMC3(good - well better I guess, not as good as 4 imo)

Metal Gear Solid(good) > MGS2(suck) > MGS3(good - well at least it was snake again, but I actually stopped playing half way through because I really hated the way the story was being told)

Halo is a little different, as the singleplayer got worse and the multiplayer got better.
Halo(good) > Halo 2(worse single better multi) > Halo 3 (terrible single and good multi)

I havn't played these sequels, but these are differentbecause a diferent team gets the licence to call their game "2" which really pisses me off, cuz you wouldnt watch a sequel to a film with a different writer/director/actors right?
e.g.
F.E.A.R. > F.E.A.R.2 (originally, then FEAR2 fell through, and the real team got it back)

Final Fantasy games
Far Cry > Far Cry 2

Gotta say as far as Diablo/Diablo 2 and Warcraft 1/2/3, a progression that just got better I think, let's hope Starcraft 2 follows the trend ^^

I hated Donnie Darko. <_<

OT: Mmm I'd have to say Devil May Cry 2, FFX-2, and probably Half-Life 2. The only reason I don't like Half-Life 2 is because it's sold in installments and frankly that's just a way for Valve to get more of your money. Yes I know that's the only reason video games are made in the first place but it just felt like they were going out of their way to suck their player base dry. :<

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Guitar Hero 3 made me die a little inside once I got down to playing it. The first two were full of cool songs, funny little in-jokes, and great innovations. Then 3 came out and introduced Battle mode and didn't let me play co-op until we'd done a career mode first. Lame.

MyFiyaBePurged O_o

Sep 21, 2008
Cypher10110 said:
e.g.
Donnie Darko
Fight Club
Shawshank Redemption
Primer

e.g.

Final Fantasy games
Far Cry > Far Cry 2

just so you know...there is a sequel to donnie darko...its tragic....god aweful...dog shit.

Cypher10110

Jul 16, 2009
Jennacide said:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is a sequel to Donnie Darko.
Damn, that blows, how does that even work, I mean Donnie died and everything was back at the start. >< d'oh, its true tho http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1231277/

I guess most of the time sequels are made because the first game was popular, so expecting the second to beat it is probably setting the bar a little too high, but you're right, long franchises are long for a reason, because people buy the games and maybe even the games are good? XD

IdealistCommi said:
FEAR to FEAR 2.

I think both are good, but FEAR 2 didn't have horror, at all compared to the first, and the multiplayer was horrible compared to FEAR 1.
Yea I gotta agree, I mean it played decently, but I kept thinking "this just makes me want to install FEAR 1 and play through that again".

They removed hand-to-hand combat :(I LIKED putting my gun away and slo-mo kungfu-ing my way through the game :)

DragonsAteMyMarbles

You matter in this world. Smile!
Feb 22, 2009
Jennacide said:
You sir, are a crazy person. It may of been a "mario kart clone", but it was a goddam good cart game.
Blackadder51 said:
yes he did, and he a dam good job at it too

Side note: I love your avatar, Father Jack was one of the best characters... 'DRINK, FECK, ARSE"
ARSE BISCUITS!

I'll admit, my opinion is coloured by the fact that I couldn't complete it when I played it (aged 11, yes I'm ashamed).
I think I've still got it somewhere, actually. I'll give it another go and, given the vehemence of your opinions, I'm prepared to eat my own words. Literally.

Ozkilla

Jul 6, 2009
Cypher10110 said:
e.g.
Donnie Darko
Fight Club
Shawshank Redemption
Primer
They did make a Donnie Darko 2 recently, Apparantly it sucked

Juraz

May 31, 2009
rabidmidget said:
i am surprised no one has mentioned sonic the hedgehog
What is this game you are talking about? it doesn't exist. Back on topic though ill have to say Kotor not that Kotor 2 was horrid it was nice but yeah the story wasn't as good as the first kotor, the game play was great and the way it was presented was decently put but yeah just lacked something (most probably the ultimate revelation)