Games that got ruined in sequels

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
RogueRunner said:
same with all Pokemon games that came after Red and Blue version.
Gold and Silver were best in series in my opinion.

I beleive Street Fighter 4 was awful.

CWestfall

Apr 16, 2009
Call of Duty. I LOVED Call of Duty. I spent hours playing United Offensive on-line as late as 2007. Finally, it seemed like it was me and maybe 30 other people who still did, and so I had to move on to Call of Duty 4.

I barely recognised the game. Their efforts to make it appeal to a larger target audience resulted in every server being filled with idiots who used grenades as their primary weapon and rocket launchers for a secondary. I missed the much more intuitive system in CoD:UO where American soldiers only used American guns, German soldiers used German guns, etc. and where they made you work like a dog to use things like artillery instead of getting lucky and having your grenade kill 5 people at once. There was none of this rank malarkey, you started off as a Pvt. every new round and had to work all over again from the same bonuses, which made more sense than levelling up so your nation won't be cheapskates and give you better weapons. "I'm sorry, we're not going to give you a better weapon until you kill X number of Germans, or happen to be on a team where they do kill many Germans. You see, we don't trust that we trained you well enough, so we're going to give you a shitty gun made of ass and recoil so you can go out and die."

Also, vehicles. You can brag about how CoD:WaW has tanks, but guess what? CoD:UO not only had tanks, but also jeeps and heavy tanks. It took the idiots who took over the franchise a long time to realise they maybe they should re-add 33% of the content everyone loved, but was cut out 5 years ago.

I could go on but I think I'll leave it there.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Kuchinawa212 said:
Hmm...
I hear Tales of Symphonia 2 was bad.
Not too bad
just bad
Really? I found the second one pretty much better than the first, apart from the whole revist thing.

Super Paper Mario was no where near as good as either Paper Mario or Thousand year door, and that was mildly depressing, since it had improved quite a bit from the n64 to the gc version, but then went backwards for the wii.

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
alex134219 said:
Blackadder51 said:
Crash Bash to Wrath of Cortex... :(

EDIT :
Metalhandkerchief said:
GTA 1&2 were liquid gold, then they sold their souls to the devil in 3&4.
Agreed
uh no they wasn't any story except get enough cash then get more and kill everything unless better graphics more weapons and an actual story are things you don't like now 4 wasn't as good because it took itself to seriously but your going to say gta was only good when it had less of everything
That was less than coherent. What I've gathered from that was you not liking the lack of story in the old GTA games, which says to me you've completely missed the point. You are a gangster, and oldschool mafia style urban warrior taking over the streets, why does everything need a story now?

Seriously, there's nothing wrong with cruising around doing various jobs for gangs (amongs brilliant humor) while slowly playing them off against each other and moving in on their turf when they are too weak to properly defend it. The newage GTAs trade off the brilliant gameplay for mediocre gameplay with near modern graphics (they are by no means impressive, in fact SA was disguisting next to games being released alongside it). The original GTA games looked fine anyway, they sure as all hell didn't have less of everything.

The old games were all round better, they are free downloads off the rockstar website if I recall correctly, go play them, you'll see how brilliant they are.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Condemned 2 was a huge letdown

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance also sucked compared to the original

Not to mention every re-imagening like Turok or Silent Hill Origins/Homecoming (DEAR GOD!)

And Halo 3 (I don't care about graphics or multiplayer, but the single player was short and had little to no interesting story in it)

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
As long as the game previous or the sequel are great, i wouldn't say it was ruined

Wayne Insane

May 14, 2009
After thinking about it, and considering all the Bad sequels I played,I actually think the worst, most disappointing one was Crash Bandicoot : Wrath of Cortex.That game was shockingly horrendous.I still think that Crash Bandicoot 1+2, Pandemonium 2(who does remember that freaky shit?) and Mario 64 were the only good 3d platformers ever created ( Except if you count Games like Ratchet & Clank or Jak & Dexter), but wrath of cortex effectifly killed off a great series.Shoddy Gameplay, bug-ridden and having HORRENDOUS load times.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Deus Ex 1 - Epic win
Deus Ex 2 - Ok, I suppose, but nothing like as great as its older, hotter sister.
Metalhandkerchief said:
GTA 1&2 were liquid gold...
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, good one.

Roganwilson

May 24, 2009
I always come too late to these gorram threads. I shall say Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Worms 3D. The first one has already been mentioned, so you know all about that. Worms 3D ruined it because it made the cute two-dimensional worms into finnicky soldiers who had a bad habit of walking off the edge. It lost a lot of the humor of the others too.

thecodemaster

Jul 6, 2009
How about SONIC THE HEDGEHOG?
As far as I know, every sequel to that has been downright awful. Sonic Unleashed :)

Jun 15, 2009
alex134219 said:
Dys said:
alex134219 said:
Blackadder51 said:
Crash Bash to Wrath of Cortex... :(

EDIT :
Metalhandkerchief said:
GTA 1&2 were liquid gold, then they sold their souls to the devil in 3&4.
Agreed
uh no they wasn't any story except get enough cash then get more and kill everything unless better graphics more weapons and an actual story are things you don't like now 4 wasn't as good because it took itself to seriously but your going to say gta was only good when it had less of everything
That was less than coherent. What I've gathered from that was you not liking the lack of story in the old GTA games, which says to me you've completely missed the point. You are a gangster, and oldschool mafia style urban warrior taking over the streets, why does everything need a story now?

Seriously, there's nothing wrong with cruising around doing various jobs for gangs (amongs brilliant humor) while slowly playing them off against each other and moving in on their turf when they are too weak to properly defend it. The newage GTAs trade off the brilliant gameplay for mediocre gameplay with near modern graphics (they are by no means impressive, in fact SA was disguisting next to games being released alongside it). The original GTA games looked fine anyway, they sure as all hell didn't have less of everything.

The old games were all round better, they are free downloads off the rockstar website if I recall correctly, go play them, you'll see how brilliant they are.
the way i came to my conclusions is because i played them and what territory you were everybody's lapdog after you killed enough of gang a you went to gang c they gave you money to kill some of gang b or blowup some building or steal a car then do it over and over and over until you got enough money

and what comedy i just heard jokes that only appeal to 5 year olds and even then they were hit and miss then that guy at the booths voice sounded like somebody was torturing a chipmunk and yes i need a story and a reason not to destroy the entire city or kill all the gangs and take all there money

and so being able to get different weapons and actually aim is mediocre then whats a good game when you turn towards your enemies and hope you shoot them with a bland assortment of weapons wow sounds fun

plus gta san an looked OK for the time especially the PC version
Look, I agree with the fact that GTA4 is an improvement. But please edit your posts for Grammar, I'm no Nazi but you didn't even put a full stop in the entire post. It really devalues your argument when you can't read it.
Remember, there is not the same as their.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
CkretAznMan said:
How about Halo 2? I personally thought that Halo 1 was okay, but Halo 2 was just really bad.
Seconded, severely.
Also Ape Escape. Anyone remember that game? Cute, lots of fun, catching monkeys. Two was awful and three... Ugh..

Lewieroo0

Feb 2, 2009
After Command And Conquer Generals which i thought was great i thought Command and Conquer 3 was bad. It just lost all of its appeal to me and red alert 3 certainly cheered me up after that. Which is a real shame because most of the games with GDI vs NOD were great, even Renegade was more appealing. Westwood should still be making these games, Damn you EA.