Games that have incomprehencible stories (Or at least ones you don't understand...)

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
Title.

Games that have stories you just don't freaking *get*, and I mean you can follow the play by play action of what's happening on the scene during cut scenes and the like but you have no idea who is fighting who, why, when or where or WHATEVER.

A good example, if not the BEST example, is the Final Fantasy XIII series.

Fal-cie? La-cie? What-the-hell-is-this-sea? Seriously, I have no idea what is even going on. All I know is I kind of like the battle system.

The entire game gets shit-tons more engaging story wise if you think of it as taking place in Lightning's mind, like she needs to go on this 3 game quest to cultivate a personality.

Bonus shoutout to Blazblue. No effing idea whats going on. I'm pretty sure I could read full blown books about this game's lore and still not understand wtf is going on - at least during Continuum Shift.

Yours, my dear escapists?

Edit; Also, a nitpick of a moment in Child of Light hidden for spoiler reasons.

The crown is magic protects her from evil magics. I get that. Can't you just snatch it off my head and then kill me? How does this magic work? Does it only affect me when its on me? How about when its off? What happens when I get a game over then? I mean, does I have like 1hp and the crown is the one with all the hp?

Inglorious891

Dec 17, 2011
Bayonetta is the only true answer.

Despite three playthroughs I still don't know what the hell's going on. Not that it really matters, as long as I get to kill giant angels I'm happy.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
I haven't played Bioshock Infinite but from what I hear the story is very convoluted.

zedcavalry

Sep 13, 2014
Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy

Oh my, is this game just... wow. It's like the product of 5oz of sweet Mexican cocaine and a fever dream scrawled down and heavily misinterpreted by the lead developers. There's so much to look at. Examples such as:

- Why are these boxes in my apartment attacking me?
- What does satanic pentagrams have to do with Mayan Gods?
- If there's a double headed snake involved, which one is the head, and which one is the butt?
- How do the homeless know all of this?
- How did this homeless man get a hold of an armoured truck?

And perhaps the most important question:

- How the hell does this all fit together?!

Krige

Oct 27, 2010
E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy takes the cake, then another one, then sets the bakery on fire, all while cackling and muttering about brozoufs. Essentially every time you think you have it figured out, you get slapped with another plot twist.

That's part of why it's so awesome.

crash course in plot below:

You think you're this warrior monk guy, but then you wake up in a weird place with two corpses. You go on your missions but then you encounter some weird crap spouting what's apparently gibberish (the lone manduco, the three synicles) unless you paid attention, then it's ominous. Dutch can die but then he reappears on the next mission - and dies again. Once you finish a plot once, suddenly you're told these important characters actually died long ago and people just didn't want to interrupt you when you were talking to yourself.

And then you're back in this place with two corpses and plot restarts. And then there's the fourth ending...

small

Aug 5, 2014
Krige said:
E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy takes the cake, then another one, then sets the bakery on fire, all while cackling and muttering about brozoufs. Essentially every time you think you have it figured out, you get slapped with another plot twist.

That's part of why it's so awesome.

crash course in plot below:

You think you're this warrior monk guy, but then you wake up in a weird place with two corpses. You go on your missions but then you encounter some weird crap spouting what's apparently gibberish (the lone manduco, the three synicles) unless you paid attention, then it's ominous. Dutch can die but then he reappears on the next mission - and dies again. Once you finish a plot once, suddenly you're told these important characters actually died long ago and people just didn't want to interrupt you when you were talking to yourself.

And then you're back in this place with two corpses and plot restarts. And then there's the fourth ending...
that comes a close second for me and you lasted a hell of a lot longer than i did

before the directors cut fixed it for me, there was only one answer for me, mass effect 3. in 33 years of gaming ive never had a game thats made me feel so much like i had honestly missed cut scenes and the game had glitched and i was missing a chunk of levels from the end

j4c0b1

Jun 9, 2014
Metal gear, taken individually each game makes a slight bit of sense. Add them all up and its the most convoluted crap their is

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
Kingdom Hearts. End of story. Not their story of course. Their story still has 12 more spin off games to be released on every handheld to ever exist, most of which I'll probably never own.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Besides FFXIII, FFVIII also goes off the deep end. You've got an evil sorceress that can somehow possess people in her distance past. Another girl that can somehow send other people's consciousnesses back to possess her father and his two comrades to try to fix something(?). The female lead is first introduced as a resistance leader (against the country her father serves as a general for), but the whole resistance subplot is quickly dropped and never mentioned again soon after she becomes a permanent party member. Everyone in the party but this girl were in the same orphanage together, being taken care of by the same woman who is possessed at the game's beginning by the sorceress from the future, and therefore their assassination target until the future sorceress body surfs over to the female lead and the woman is released from the spell. They just can't remember her because using summons in this world apparently drains your memory. Oh, and the headmaster of Balamn Garden, home base and mercenary academy of the heroes, is her husband (Played by digital Robin Williams (RIP) no less!). Also, radio waves don't work because of the magic from another evil sorceress (who, for some reason, looks like a pale white shirtless body builder dude) who is in a high tech orbiting prison. Space travel to another station in orbit is A-OK, despite radios being jammed by magic juju. (Oh, and girl with the consciousness power is probably the half sister of the male lead, and their father, despite being a bumbling doofus and AWOL soldier, somehow becomes the president of a hidden super advanced country with the space travel capabilities previously mentioned.) The party defeats the villain by basically letting her win. She "kompresses time", her goal, and thanks to BS about the female leads new sorceress powers and the girl who can throw consciousnesses through time, the party can go to her and defeat her using the typical FF tools such as gunblades, a demonic train, teh Devil, and magic spells sucked straight out of her being.

And that is just trying to remember and condense all the crap I can think of into one overly long paragraph. Do you see why FF9, a much better game, didn't exceed it in sales? New FF fans brought in by FF7 found its sequel very different and skipped the next one. (The mess that was PlayOnline also contributed to FF9 being ignored in favor of the looming PS2.) No wonder Spooney hates this one. It's a confusing mess storywise (and has a quite polarizing magic system), and that's saying something for a series with a psycho court jester that becomes a god by moving some statues, a super-soldier going insane and summoning a meteor that will hurt the planet(which has what are pretty much white blood cells in the form of kaiju) so bad it will let him suck out the planet's life force, and a giant whale/Godzilla thing that hates technology and civilization but is totally chill with high tech blitzball arenas.

Speaking of Gojira, FFX itself never really explained why Bevelle became the religious capital of the world and made their enemy basically a god. Wouldn't they either downplay any record of Yu Yevon and fight the space whale with their machina until either being wiped out or its defeat? Or did the leaders at the time use the fact that a kaiju is now ransacking the world as an excuse to make a religion out of it and its creator and use that new religion to take over the world? The game never states this in its own convoluted plot.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I got Dark Void in that Capcom sale on Steam and just finished it. I have no fucking clue what happened. I get that aliens are trying to invade the world and they are behind the nazi's but other that, nothing makes sense.

Krige

Oct 27, 2010
small said:
that comes a close second for me and you lasted a hell of a lot longer than i did
I think I've lasted this long only because I've discovered the joys of exploding everything with Hunting Machine and exploding everything with Damocles. I'm still grinding for the Excidium, that ought to shake things up a little. Seriously, the gunplay in this game is the best thing despite it being a Source game and despite it all being just assault rifles and handguns.

broadbandmink

Apr 28, 2014
grimner said:
Inglorious891 said:

Despite three playthroughs I still don't know what the hell's going on. Not that it really matters, as long as I get to kill giant angels I'm happy.

You beat me to the punch, there. It got to the point where watching cutscenes became pointless, and I am usually a sucker for story. But yeah, the only takeaway from it is "kill stuff, and try and ignore the j-pop".
Well, I thought the "plot" in that game was refreshingly non serious. I guess Platinum Games' primary incentive to attach something that resembled a story to this game was to have it complement the already abundant amount of over-the-top features this game has to offer. But that's just my 5 cents.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
broadbandmink said:
grimner said:
Inglorious891 said:

You beat me to the punch, there. It got to the point where watching cutscenes became pointless, and I am usually a sucker for story. But yeah, the only takeaway from it is "kill stuff, and try and ignore the j-pop".
Well, I thought the "plot" in that game was refreshingly non serious. I guess Platinum Games' primary incentive to attach something that resembled a story to this game was to have it complement the already abundant amount of over-the-top features this game has to offer. But that's just my 5 cents.
Actually, it's not too difficult to figure out the story if you're paying attention. The main thing is also to read the documents you find throughout the game. Antonio's journal in particular fills in a lot of the gaps.
And if that still doesn't do it, watch the movie. It's not a perfect adaptation by any means, but it explains a few things that were either implied or left ambiguous in the game.

And Man

May 12, 2014
Resonance of Fate. It's a really fun game, but it has the worst story presentation I have ever seen

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Chrono Cross.

That game's plot is just crazy and all over the place. Particularly when

you and Lynx switch bodies.

The plot just goes absolutely bonkers from there.

Plasmadamage

Jul 24, 2012
Angelblaze said:
Title.

Bonus shoutout to Blazblue. No effing idea whats going on. I'm pretty sure I could read full blown books about this game's lore and still not understand wtf is going on - at least during Continuum Shift.

[/spoiler]
Blazblue isn't really that confusing once you remember that every event, battle and ending (good, bad and gag) are all events that have/will occur in at least one timeline. Each time a conclusion is judged to be unsatisfactory (read: every time), the timeline resets by 1 year and the scenario plays out again, with the machine gods (best description I can come up with) tweaking the timeline to move towards their ideal conclusion.

Thats why each story mode conflicts and the tales of the Dark War don't quite line up with the history of the world. At least, thats the best I could manage. If you want any more detail, you probably need to talk to one of the window-lickers at Arc who wrote it

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Assassin's Creed games tend to have strong beginnings, strong endings and a whole load of "Wait, what am I doing to who now for what reason?" in the middle.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
DAMMIT ALL!

Ninja'd on Kingdom Hearts.
Ninja'd on FF VIII.
Ninja'd on Resonance of Fate.

Uhmmm... El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron? Maybe?

afrojason

Jan 22, 2012
Lost Planet 2, i think capcom ran out of money and decided to cut out all the story. Randomly switching between 5 or 6 groups of people, with no idea of who they are, except for mostly pirates, 5 second cutscenes, and clones that everyone hates that im assuming are copied from the main baddy from the first one (been awhile since i played the first). My friends and i had to pause the game and go on wikipedia to find out what the fuck was going on.