Games that have incomprehencible stories (Or at least ones you don't understand...)

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
FFX
I didn't understand a bloody thing at first but when I understood it still made no sense :(

KH is another contender, but it doesn't matter much because it's fun :)

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
What the fuck happened in Marathon Infinity?

Seriously, did anyone play that? Marathon 1 had a pretty intricate plot but it was never unclear. Marathon 2 kind of jumped around but was in no way difficult to follow. But Infinity...just...what? I get the basics of what was happening, that the demon released when the Pfhor blew up the sun was causing time to misbehave and sending the player in between parallel universes, but then the plot somehow exploded into spirits and transhumanism and now you're working for the bad guys and now you're working for the good guys again and this sequence of levels is actually just a hallucination and...gaaah!

MirenBainesUSMC

Aug 10, 2014
Anyone that claims they can follow MGS2 ( LSDGS2) is probably lying, just as much as the twisted plot for Guns of the Patriots. Hideo is given massive following but breaking it down story wise, it looks like a crack addict tried to write a deep novel in the throws of a fresh smoke. I sometimes think his works are on the foot heels of his own self-made legend.

Other recent story blunders:

Watch Dogs --- Why? Better yet... what for? --- and how exactly is Pearce able to walk in the streets of Chicago with his name blasted everywhere and the entire Metro PD supposedly after him? Hmm....

Killzone Shadowfall --- Said crack addict comment is given to this piece of work.

Dragon's Dogma -- Now you want to talk about loosing it in the end...

MirenBainesUSMC

Aug 10, 2014
Anyone that claims they can follow MGS2 ( LSDGS2) is probably lying, just as much as the twisted plot for Guns of the Patriots. Hideo is given massive following but breaking it down story wise, it looks like a crack addict tried to write a deep novel in the throws of a fresh smoke. I sometimes think his works are on the foot heels of his own self-made legend.

Other recent story blunders:

Watch Dogs --- Why? Better yet... what for? --- and how exactly is Pearce able to walk in the streets of Chicago with his name blasted everywhere and the entire Metro PD supposedly after him? Hmm....

Killzone Shadowfall --- Said crack addict comment is given to this piece of work.

Dragon's Dogma -- Now you want to talk about loosing it in the end...

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
afrojason said:
Lost Planet 2, i think capcom ran out of money and decided to cut out all the story. Randomly switching between 5 or 6 groups of people, with no idea of who they are, except for mostly pirates, 5 second cutscenes, and clones that everyone hates that im assuming are copied from the main baddy from the first one (been awhile since i played the first). My friends and i had to pause the game and go on wikipedia to find out what the fuck was going on.
You got there before me. Have been going through the campaign lately purely for mechs and monsters, yet it just dawned on me that they have been jabberring on about some shit that can only be fixed by shooting all indiginious species and anybody that doesnt offer you a personal massage. The cutscenes had some cool moments that involved NO story whatsoever.
Oh bayonetta i never play sober. That j-pop is just terrible. So the story doesnt get through.
Oh am i allowed to say left 4 dead? ;)

Thebazilly

Jul 7, 2010
AnthrSolidSnake said:
Kingdom Hearts. End of story. Not their story of course. Their story still has 12 more spin off games to be released on every handheld to ever exist, most of which I'll probably never own.
Was going to say this. The first game was okay in the story department. Then things got exponentially more incomprehensible with each additional game. There's just so much conflicting information and retcons and backtracks that I've given up on caring about the series. (...But I'm still going to buy 2.5 HD, because nostalgia...)

Biggyzoom

Jan 9, 2013
Eternal Sonata

I was all set to love this game. I thought the combat was great, I love how it weaves classical music into the world and for the most part it had a story that was going somewhere. But then, halfway through, it totally abandons the entire plot and completely dives off the deep end into an Olympic sized swimming pool filled to the brim with liquified stupid. I've beat it twice and I still don't have a clue what was going on. The ending especially confused me. I have no idea what actually happened, why, or anything.

Kailow Krow

Mar 24, 2011
Does Warhammer 40k count specifically dawn of war? People become heretics and die only to be returned like nothing even happened and I just dont get it like at all. Pirate looking space orks and whatever the hell. Awesome games tho. I love them a lot. But they make no sense what so ever. And then to further confuse myself I picked up warhammer mark of chaos and was formally introduced to the earlier stuff and the knights and wizard stuff and the chaos and I just cant even any more. I think that's how most people feel about they're just like "I give up. I don't care if this space wizard librarian dude has power armor has wax stamp on his shoulder and a open book on his fracking leg. This is one franchise that is not concerned with "subtlety" and makes the writing in Destiny seem like a literary masterpiece.
And what the hell is up with the lack of Tau in dawn of war?! Nevermind I'll never understand these intricacies of warhammer lore T_T

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
Metal Gear, although it becomes less and less incomprehensible the more games in the series you play. Each game on its own can be understood as a seperate game, but it's hard to see the full picture unless you play all the main games (MGS 1-4, MAYBE PW, and MAYBE MG and MG2). Once you do though, it's like that moment in every Scooby Doo episode when you finally realize who the monster REALLY is.

Come to think of it, the plot to MGS sometimes feels a lot like what a Scooby Doo villain might come up with if it wasn't a kids show.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
There's a little duology of games called Persona 2, Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment.

The game begins with the protagonists, Tatsuya Suou, and Lisa Silverman (She is not as Jewish as she sounds) who learn that rumours are becoming reality. After learning about a boy who can summon some kind of monster, they go to investigate by going to the prison, where he plays with his band. There, for shits and giggles, they decide to summon The Joker by dailing their own phone number, which results in him appearing, everyone's Persona activating, the punk dude's band turning into literal empty shells and being completely forgotten about before vanishing from reality itself.

The dude's called Eikichi Mishina, by the way. And all three of them have got Oedipus complexes that'd impress Freud like you wouldn't believe; they've all got massive daddy issues, but they're a tad spoilery, so I'll skip that bit.

With the revelation that rumours are becoming reality, they decide to go back to their school, Seven Sisters, where they meet Yukino Mayuzumi and Maya Amano, our two other protagonists, each with their own truck load of daddy issues.

Maya and Yukino are a journalist/photographer team investigating recent goings on inside the school, except now it's full of asshole demons coming from the rip of reality itself.

A bunch of big bads are using crystal skulls to drain the energy from people to turn them into mindless zombies. Except it's all a cult to kill the heroes because DADDY ISSUES. And also, they almost killed Maya years ago in a shrine fire and Nyarlaphotep became Jun's father figure after his real dad died so he could take advantage of him to kill the heroes and fulfill the prophecy and.. oh God, my head hurts.

It turns out that one of the main character's dad, Jun's, was right and all of his schizofrenia theories about the world ending, the school floating into the sky, and acid rain destroying the Earth below were all true.

And also, Hitler is the final boss. Except it's not Hilter, it's the entire Third Reich. Except it's not, it's Nyarlaphotep who was possesing Jun, and also Yukino has left the party by now, and may or may not have died depending on your actions, but that's left a little ambiguous, and it's all his fault and he wants the prophecy to... blah, blah, blah fucking blah.

And then there's a big reset button, and Tatsuya - genius that is he - defies it and causes a paradox.

Also, Hitler is the final boss. Except, he isn't.

I have played this game 6 times. I have done every possible decision, including the maximum personaes, most sidequests, and most rumours, and I still have no idea what the hell is going on.

Did I mention the daddy issues?

I'd also like to mention Rule of Rose, but this post has already become too confusing.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Digging through my brain here and I can't really think of any games that I played where I was absolutely lost. I was able to follow the plots of all of the games that I've played so far, Metal Gears and Kingdom Hearts included.

scorptatious said:
Chrono Cross.
Nope, wait. I stand corrected. Time travel makes my head hurt, so I try not to think about it too much. This game though, this game broke me. So...was the point of everything in this game to make sure that the bad stuff doesn't happen at the end of the first game, thus making this entire game not exist? I don't even...and what was that ending all about?

Also, thought of another one. Final Fantasy Tactics. I got so lost in that game when I was a kid. Too many names, too many factions, too much political intrigue. I just couldn't keep it straight and had no idea who was who and why things were happening beyond, "I want to be king." I played it again when I was older, and I still couldn't figure it out.
I guess, by extension, Final Fantasy XII too. I don't know what you accomplished in that game even now.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Easy. the Gamecube classic Super Mario Sunshine. i understand that no one plays Mario games for the plot (outside of the RPGs) but there is no care given to the story. Mario gets arrested for crimes he "committed" straight from stepping off the plane. Not to mention it also suffers from what I call "The Sonic Adventure 2" problem, in which the evil doppelganger doesn't really look at all like the person he's trying to emulate. Mario is not a blueish translucent blob. Finally, I'm pretty sure Mario and Shadow Mario are seen together.

Seriously. The police officers of Isle Delfino make Chief Wiggum look like Columbo.

Riotguards

Feb 1, 2013
stories as in plot and lore or just story?

if its plot and lore i'd give that to destiny

the game is a huge mumble of information, your thrown into this world being told nothing of its lore or back story (asides from big white ball is damaged and asleep) you go around punching aliens in the balls and then you meet some people who essentially throw you out there to punch more alien balls

further along you meet a strange women robot alien thing and unfortunately you can't punch her in the balls but she's rather vague and uninteresting and somehow pushes the plot forward, from there you do some stuff and then you carry on like that, even fighting space marines, after all that and on the last mission you face a (big spoiler) giant heart with 3 bosses (aka copy paste gate lord), after that you get a speech on how epic you are because you are the most badass alien ball puncher in the universe

throughout this adventure you'll face against the fallen, the hive and the cabal and not once do you learn ANYTHING about them asides from the little tidbits of information

btw i know that bungie did release the entire lore on their website but i refuse to acknowledge any of their lore considering its outside of the game, instead of focusing on the worst features of an MMO they could have implemented this story plot into the game

Moontouched-Moogle

Nov 17, 2009
Spartan448 said:
Metal Gear, although it becomes less and less incomprehensible the more games in the series you play. Each game on its own can be understood as a seperate game, but it's hard to see the full picture unless you play all the main games (MGS 1-4, MAYBE PW, and MAYBE MG and MG2). Once you do though, it's like that moment in every Scooby Doo episode when you finally realize who the monster REALLY is.

Come to think of it, the plot to MGS sometimes feels a lot like what a Scooby Doo villain might come up with if it wasn't a kids show.
Metal Gear 1 and 2 are optional since Metal Gear Solid summarizes everything you need to know about them, but Peace Walker is definitely non-optional. Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain follow it directly, and it was so story-critical that it was originally marketed as Metal Gear Solid 5.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Plasmadamage said:
Blazblue isn't really that confusing once you remember that every event, battle and ending (good, bad and gag) are all events that have/will occur in at least one timeline. Each time a conclusion is judged to be unsatisfactory (read: every time), the timeline resets by 1 year and the scenario plays out again, with the machine gods (best description I can come up with) tweaking the timeline to move towards their ideal conclusion.

Thats why each story mode conflicts and the tales of the Dark War don't quite line up with the history of the world. At least, thats the best I could manage. If you want any more detail, you probably need to talk to one of the window-lickers at Arc who wrote it
Really? Was most of that included in Continuum Shift, the only one I played [and loved]?

My vote would go to BlazBlue:CS. If the above has any validity, then I didn't pick up on most of that... Each time I thought I had a handle on a certain thread of lore, something else would confuse and confound me. It felt like the most convoluted quasi-narrative I've ever read/listened to/watched.

...but possibly knowing it's not really supposed to make linear 'sense' - kindasortamaybe makes it make a little more sense? Kinda? Sorta? No? Fuck knows...

Continuum Shift was both bonkers, and brilliant, so I laughed at the awesome script and was mostly content in my confusion at its plot/s.

JonnyHG

Nov 7, 2011
Biggyzoom said:
Eternal Sonata

I was all set to love this game. I thought the combat was great, I love how it weaves classical music into the world and for the most part it had a story that was going somewhere. But then, halfway through, it totally abandons the entire plot and completely dives off the deep end into an Olympic sized swimming pool filled to the brim with liquified stupid. I've beat it twice and I still don't have a clue what was going on. The ending especially confused me. I have no idea what actually happened, why, or anything.
I'm there with ya. I thought on my second playthrough I would understand it for sure. Nope. Sure didn't. I still love the game though.

Plasmadamage

Jul 24, 2012
Darth Rosenberg said:
Plasmadamage said:
Blazblue isn't really that confusing once you remember that every event, battle and ending (good, bad and gag) are all events that have/will occur in at least one timeline. Each time a conclusion is judged to be unsatisfactory (read: every time), the timeline resets by 1 year and the scenario plays out again, with the machine gods (best description I can come up with) tweaking the timeline to move towards their ideal conclusion.

Thats why each story mode conflicts and the tales of the Dark War don't quite line up with the history of the world. At least, thats the best I could manage. If you want any more detail, you probably need to talk to one of the window-lickers at Arc who wrote it
Really? Was most of that included in Continuum Shift, the only one I played [and loved]?

My vote would go to BlazBlue:CS. If the above has any validity, then I didn't pick up on most of that... Each time I thought I had a handle on a certain thread of lore, something else would confuse and confound me. It felt like the most convoluted quasi-narrative I've ever read/listened to/watched.

...but possibly knowing it's not really supposed to make linear 'sense' - kindasortamaybe makes it make a little more sense? Kinda? Sorta? No? Fuck knows...

Continuum Shift was both bonkers, and brilliant, so I laughed at the awesome script and was mostly content in my confusion at its plot/s.
I played CS:Extend, which is the whole of CS + Plus all of the true scenarios from Calamity Trigger(the first one) so I probably had a more solid grounding at the start of CS than you. It gets kinda confusing even then, especially when you realise that even the events that do fit together aren't always happening in the same timeline.

Tbh, I was in it for the gag endings. "I'm gonna be a hero, and I don't care how many people have to die for me to do it!"