Games that have incomprehencible stories (Or at least ones you don't understand...)

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Angelblaze said:
so...by the end of FF-XIII-3 was everything explained? It looked like XIII-2 only brought about more questions and, more loose threads and all I got from XIII-3 was that clothing stores became a thing all of a sudden. Seriously, Final Fantasy plots have gotten larger and, more obtuse over time but none are as difficult to penetrate as Final Fantasy XIII and its spin-offs.

I'm going to put the Halo series here as an honorable mention. The plot is there in bits and pieces but it seemed like if you were serious about wanting to know the full story you needed to buy the books, the graphic-novels, the DVD-thing...Halo, Halo 2 &, Halo 3 seemed to have a problem conveying pretty big parts of the plot like, why the Covenant haven't destroyed humanity 100% considering how much more powerful they are...why Humanity hasn't been assimilated like every other species...what the Hell happened to The Gravemind and why couldn't we fight it?

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
NuclearKangaroo said:
the last hours of MGS2 are a complete impenetrable clusterfuck
So true, that bit when you're wandering around naked being given random pieces of advice sticks in mind but the whole last part of that game was a migraine looking for someone to land on. And i would like to personally groin-punch Kojima for the Emma Emmerich part

Also XenoGears/saga....not so much incomprehensible, but you needed the perfect works to actually figure out half of what the fuck was going on behind the scenes

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
zedcavalry said:
Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy

And perhaps the most important question:

- How the hell does this all fit together?!

This. I want to say the game would have made more sense if they hadn't run out of time and money to show everything that happened during the lost month of game time, but seeing Davd "Emotions!" Cage's later efforts, it probably would have been even more of a cluster.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
I am surprised to see gunpoint on here a couple times. It seemed like a perfectly straightforward story to me.

I am going to have to cast my vote for Eye Divine Cybermancy. But in this case the story was rendered incomprehensible by sheer incompetent storytelling. I don't know what they story was because the delivery was so abysmal that I could never bring myself to care.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Plasmadamage said:
I played CS:Extend, which is the whole of CS + Plus all of the true scenarios from Calamity Trigger(the first one) so I probably had a more solid grounding at the start of CS than you. It gets kinda confusing even then, especially when you realise that even the events that do fit together aren't always happening in the same timeline.

Tbh, I was in it for the gag endings. "I'm gonna be a hero, and I don't care how many people have to die for me to do it!"
Yeah, that's certainly true, although I went through a phase of consulting a wiki to try to get my head around the events leading up to CS, but eventually I kinda rolled with the confusion and just appreciated some of the great writing and characters (especially Rachel). Well, those and the cracking art and challenging range of characters.

Another candidate for this thread could be Alpha Protocol. It wasn't that it was overly complex at all, but the nature of the mission structures and the three main locations rather just made me forget what precisely I was doing and why sometimes... 'Get something, for someone, to prove whatnow?'.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
See, this is hard. Any game that I play and have trouble understanding something, I Wiki it that instant. I've probably spent months of my life reading through lore and character bios just to understand things about the games that I love. If it's a game I don't care about, the plot and lore mean nothing to me and I just move on anyway, so it's not that it's incomprehensible, I just couldn't care less.

silverhawk100

Dec 17, 2009
Consortium. A funny little Deus Ex-like game about a present-day game player controlling a future action hero who acts as a lynchpin in some major future event.

They present that part pretty well and that part is comprehensible. It's when you start digging into the backstory of this world that you start losing your ability to understand everything. I thought King-1 was an AI, are you telling me he's a person? And what's up with the number 32?

Also, if you dig deep into the Elder Scrolls backstory, you start going into highly metaphorical mysticism with a lot of made-up words.

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
Kailow Krow said:
Does Warhammer 40k count specifically dawn of war? People become heretics and die only to be returned like nothing even happened and I just dont get it like at all. Pirate looking space orks and whatever the hell. Awesome games tho. I love them a lot. But they make no sense what so ever. And then to further confuse myself I picked up warhammer mark of chaos and was formally introduced to the earlier stuff and the knights and wizard stuff and the chaos and I just cant even any more. I think that's how most people feel about they're just like "I give up. I don't care if this space wizard librarian dude has power armor has wax stamp on his shoulder and a open book on his fracking leg. This is one franchise that is not concerned with "subtlety" and makes the writing in Destiny seem like a literary masterpiece.
And what the hell is up with the lack of Tau in dawn of war?! Nevermind I'll never understand these intricacies of warhammer lore T_T
Warhammer 40K is basically just Tolkein-type fantasy in space. Self-rightious dickish humans, space Elves (Eldar), Orks, Dark Elves, etc., plus the generic fantasy "Chaos" and generic sci-fi "Aliens" (i.e. Tyranids).

Warhammer proper isn't related to 40K at all, instead it's just straight fantasy.

Also Tau were in the expansion pack "Dark Crusade" for the original Dawn of War, but they were never put in Dawn of War II (sadface).

purplemonkey555

Aug 23, 2013
Dragon's Dogma. Who is that guy? What am I doing out here? Talk to the "Dragonforged"? I thought weapons were dragonforged as an upgrade; you mean its a guy now? Ok, now I'm talking to him and he's still not explaining whats happening. What is the deal with this dragon?

A friend later told me that a lot of things are explained during optional side quests, but I never found them and so I was left in the dark about just what the hell was going on.

MirenBainesUSMC

Aug 10, 2014
purplemonkey555 said:
Dragon's Dogma. Who is that guy? What am I doing out here? Talk to the "Dragonforged"? I thought weapons were dragonforged as an upgrade; you mean its a guy now? Ok, now I'm talking to him and he's still not explaining whats happening. What is the deal with this dragon?

A friend later told me that a lot of things are explained during optional side quests, but I never found them and so I was left in the dark about just what the hell was going on.

In honesty, if you didn't get it --- its really not worth your time to. It was very horrible and skewed. Not to mention the The Chosen One's love interest selection was outright creepy.

Quite frankly, the only cool thing was fighting the Chimera.

Ghraf

Sep 16, 2014
For some reason I found Alan Wake to be particularly confusing, mostly less due to lack of understanding, but more of a lack of details.

I understood everything up until about the point when you go into the lake. Then it all gets kind of jumbled and jumps from one supernatural event to the other and expects the players to just say, "yeah, okay, that makes sense".

And yeah, Metal Gear Solid 2, good luck with that shit, it was basically like this but with words:

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Well, my first Metal Gear Solid game was IV. And there were some parts of that which were pretty impenetrable.

Although, in fairness, my mind was transfixed on Snake's impressively tight buttocks like 94% of the time.

Yadda yadda very penetrable, yadda yadda yadda, Snake Snake Snake.