games that left you stunned, staring at the credits in awe

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
Half Life 2, and Half Life 2: Episode 2. Both of those games endings had me shocked, Episode 2's had me tearing up a little.
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team, and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness. The first game shocked me so much by making me realise just how fond I was of all the characters, so
When Gardevoir tells you that you have to go back to the human world I cried. I was only about 9 at the time though
For the second one I saw the ending coming but it still made me tear up, when
your partner vows to go on living after you die, and saving other pokemon. Then that scene a few months later when he sees the krabby on the beach and breaks down into tears. Would have made a great ending, but they retcon it in the game itself.

gunny1993

Jun 26, 2012
Nightmare house 2 .... although it may have been because my body was just realising my torment of fear was over.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Arkham City.
Man, I clapped a little bit. Such a fantastic game.
I was so fucking surprised with that ending. I didn't think they'd do it. I was sat there saying to myself "No, they wouldn't do that. They wouldn't. It breaks every comic book rule. It has to be a trick, no way".

Goddammit I forgive them for using GFWL because of how good that ending was.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
dogstile said:
hazabaza1 said:
Arkham City.
Man, I clapped a little bit. Such a fantastic game.
I was so fucking surprised with that ending. I didn't think they'd do it. I was sat there saying to myself "No, they wouldn't do that. They wouldn't. It breaks every comic book rule. It has to be a trick, no way".

Goddammit I forgive them for using GFWL because of how good that ending was.
Hell, I had it spoiled for me and I was still sitting there shocked.

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
Lets see here..
Portal 1, Mass Effect 1+2+3 (Yes I loved them all, what of it?), Modern Warfare 1, VVVVVV, Day of the Tentacle and to some extent Super Meat Boy, simply because I has so happy Id finally beaten it.

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Mass Effect 2. Game knew how to end on a fucking high note. Even if the last boss sucked, the execution and presentation made it so grandiose.
Very much this.

Other than that, I really can't think of any, recently anyway. Games just haven't had as much of a wow factor for a while.

Lord Quirk

Aug 15, 2011
Recently? Probably Ghost Trick for the DS. Everything about it, from it's quirky narrative, quirky characters and quirky art style, plus a great soundtrack, made me think "Damn, that was a good game. i need to let the game know how good I think it is." And, because there was nobody else in the room, I gave it a little clap. It had earnt it.

Feb 22, 2009
Mass Effect - just such an epic conclusion to such a great game, and with epic credits music too.

LA Noire - sheer depression. Like, just how dark can you get? o_O

Journey - awe-inspiring. The way you spend the whole game focused on that single mountain in the distance, then in the end you reach it and simply return to the beginning, and it shows you the names of all the people you met along the way, as if to say 'it was never about the mountain, it was the experience'. Or some other cheesy nonsense, whatever, it was awesome. :p

Spec Ops: The Line - that game just makes you feel guilty as hell. :/

phatty500

Mar 25, 2009
people on this site may not agree with me but the end of modern warfare 2 was mind numbingly awesome. more recently journey was definately and emotional rollercoaster that ends on an amazing note.

Feb 22, 2009
xplosive59 said:
AC10 said:
Katawa Shoujo had me crying at the credits, then i just stared at the menu listening to the music for like an hour.
Which Path/ending? I was gonna say that my first path (Hanako) completely floored me at the ending, I sat speechless for about 10 minutes after I had finished it.
I did the Rin path first, myself. Still easily my favourite. Though honestly Katawa Shoujo never really leaves me stunned at the end, it's somewhere around the middle when it's being depressing as hell that it really gets to me.

JohnReaper

Jun 8, 2009
piinyouri said:
Star Ocean: Till The End of Time
That game gets everyone man, I mean really gets everyone....

Then MGS3, my god....I don't cry at games or movies except Metal Gear Solid 3, hell everytime I hear the damn theme I do a little salute to snake, and then on a diffrent note, T2's ending...yea.....Makes me cry all the time...

The Rainmaker

Jun 21, 2009
The first InFamous felt very special for me as I completed it, and I sat and stared at the credits till they finished. Also, Metal Gear Solid 4 and Warcraft 3 also stunned me when I completed them. Oh, and The Witcher 2, of course. Man, that game is fucking great.

RabbidKuriboh

Sep 19, 2010
Dark Souls, having beaten that game was the most satisfying thing i've ever done and when the credits role and this song plays: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpI-KeK-PQg

Not only dos the song make you think back on all the impossible things you've done it also seems to change subtly in my mind based on whatever choice i made to finish the game,i swear i bloody applauded the game right there in my room.

T4FF3R

Mar 22, 2011
Darksiders. I actually shouted something along the lines of, "F@#$ yeah!" when I saw War's brothers coming to join the party. This is probably the only time I really stood up and shouted with excitement at the end of a game. I'm not really sure why, but there you have it.

Bastion had a similar effect. Everything about it was so good that I turned around and started a New game +. The music throughout was AMAZING, but the end credit mix blew my mind.

Mass Effect 1 probably has the best ending of any game I've played to date. The final climax, life and death choices I had to make, the speech, and the end credits music were SO good. It was, in my opinion, the best possible way to end the first game in a planned series. There was actual resolution of the current problem with a promise of bigger and better things to come. ME2's ending was kind of a let down compared to the original.

ME3's ending left me in stunned silence. My roommates asked me how the end was as I was sitting there staring dumbfounded at the credits. I said I'd have to get back to them as I was pretty sure I just destroyed 80% of the entire galaxy. Five minutes later I started ranting incoherently about how it didn't make any sense. "Where the @#$% was Joker?! How did my crewmates get back on the ship?! Is it destroyed?! The Krogan are going to eat all the food on Earth and kill anyone that I didn't!" Had they released the "extended cut" with the game, I probably would have been satisfied (if disappointed) with the finale.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
JohnReaper said:
piinyouri said:
Star Ocean: Till The End of Time
That game gets everyone man, I mean really gets everyone....
Yeah for real.
Tends to be pretty polarizing too. Everyone I've talked to about it either outright hates it or loves it.

Garrett

Jul 12, 2012
Max Payne - finally something with vengeance that doesn't have this stupid "revenge is meaningless and you feel empty after it blah blah". When Max said that Woden was grinning and "That made two of us." I was like "That made THREE of us.".

God of War - the most satisfying ending ever.

Metal Gear Solid - I was honestly in awe with entire game. It's my favourite game of all time.

Batman: Arkham City - great ending and the last voice mail during credits... awesome.

Shadow of the Colossus - whole game is awesome and the ending just adds to its awesomness.

Captcha: i'm batman - Hell yeah! I'm so much more batman than all of you. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRWj36_VQo4]

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Asuras wrath.
Pity you need to buy the "true ending" DLC for that because capcom just had to set that kind of BS precedent but that is one ending that wraps things up good.
MANLY TEARS!