Games that Lived up to the Hype

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Abomination said:
For me it was Far Cry III and Baldur's Gate II.

You embryos probably don't remember all the PC Gamer magazines dedicated to that series. Baldur's Gate II had a LOT of hype.
I do. And it bloody well lived up to it.

I'll also add my votes to Morrowind, Most of the Total War games, Arkham Asylm and City and Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
arkham city. still cant believe it was so much better than asylum.which was an incredible game on its own.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Abomination said:
For me it was Far Cry III and Baldur's Gate II.

You embryos probably don't remember all the PC Gamer magazines dedicated to that series. Baldur's Gate II had a LOT of hype.
Many people do, I still even keep the original box right next to me on a bookshelf. Baldur's Gate 2 in many regards was the perfect sequel right next to Thief 2: The Metal Age which is another 'perfect sequel' in my eyes. Even so however that was around, jeez, twelve years ago now. Way to make me feel old!

Bashfluff

Jan 28, 2012
Super Mario Galaxy. People said it was the best 3d Mario, improved the formula, had a somewhat different story, and was really engaging. I called bullshit, and I have never been happier to be proven (mostly) wrong about how good a game is.

Also, Katawa Shoujo. Jesus.

To the Moon. T_T

And Paper Mario: TTYD.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Probably The Walking Dead.
I heard people going "it's so emotional!" and "Best characters ever!" And I just thought "psssh, it's a point and click, it can't be that good."

Well fuck me sideways after I played it.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
ShinyCharizard said:
imahobbit4062 said:
I was like this, I flat out refused to buy it at first because I really wanted another Elder Scrolls game instead. Then I decided to play it.

Holy shit. Holy. Fucking. Shit.

I've bought it twice (regular and GOTY) and have a total of like...9 characters I think? It's so addicting.
I'm glad to see that someone else understands the greatness of Fallout 3.
I think you'll find a few. That's the only game this gen that has gone beyond my expectations. Got vanilla (ps3) as a gift then later bought goty for the PC.

Last gen I would say San Andreas and Burnout 3 were the ones that surprised me. They sounded good but none of the hype could prepare me for all that awesomeness.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
As one of the perhaps 5 or so people who followed everything in the lead up to the release of Conker's Bad Fur Day- I can say that definitely delivered on the hype it had.

I was just hoping for Just Cause 2 to be at least as good as Just Cause 1, perhaps a bit better. Never expected it to smash it out of the park there!

Also all hype I got for Mount and Blade was from this site- and having got it I can say that definitely lived up to it.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
To The Moon for me. I wasn't expecting it to hit me that hard.

Also Catherine, that was a fantastic game.

The Walking Dead, after everyone saying how emotional it is, how it was the best game of the year, I had my doubts. Then I played it. I cried so much and the game was so damn good!

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
I dont really buy into hype now because no game will live up to it if you believe to much of it but for me I suppose back in the day FFVII exceeded all my expectations for it by an absolute mile but then again I was ready to hate it not exactly being an RPG fan back then.

Only other one I can remember hearing a lot about and still being massively impressed when playing was Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast holy hell man that game improved on SoulBlade/edge massively gameplay wise to an extent I didnt think possible its still my favourite 3D fighter ever I even bought a Dreamcast for that one game.

Its easy to build hype beyond reasonable expectations particularly with words like greatest, revolutionary, unparallelled etc really for most people that is setting it up for a fall.

squidface

Jun 3, 2012
My vote definitely goes for The Walking Dead, as one I can remember playing recently. I didn't cry, I wanted to when certain things happened, but oh man, some of the moments I heard other people get emotional about I was fine with, and other parts really got to me. I think by the end I could slightly see the direction it would take, and there was one thing that just before it happened I was like "yup, I can see what's going to go down in about 2 seconds". It was sometimes predictable, but also unexpected things happened, and I liked the mix of both. By the time I got to episodes 4/5 I was really emotionally exhausted with it. And that's awesome.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Bastion is an amazing game. It blew my mind and all the reviews said it would too.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Going by what you posted I am assuming you meant from this gen, in which case sorry, I can't say much. The last games I played that I specifically remember living up to their hype was the original God of War, Twilight Princess and Metal gear Solid 2. I've played a lot of great games since then, but nothing that was overly hyped... at least, not like the aforementioned games were.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Lollipop Chainsaw.
Yeah, yeah, I know, there was pretty much no hype, but I find it absolutely amazing.

The Walking Dead
I bought it when episode 2 was released and I found it superseded what everyone else was saying. I still love it and want to play it again, however it's one of those games you can't really replay and enjoy the same way.

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
Guild wars 2, at least before you hit level 80. Incredibly MMO and well deserving of all the praise.

Fallout 3 is another one.

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
dimensional said:
I dont really buy into hype now because no game will live up to it if you believe to much of it but for me I suppose back in the day FFVII exceeded all my expectations for it by an absolute mile but then again I was ready to hate it not exactly being an RPG fan back then.

Only other one I can remember hearing a lot about and still being massively impressed when playing was Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast holy hell man that game improved on SoulBlade/edge massively gameplay wise to an extent I didnt think possible its still my favourite 3D fighter ever I even bought a Dreamcast for that one game.

Its easy to build hype beyond reasonable expectations particularly with words like greatest, revolutionary, unparallelled etc really for most people that is setting it up for a fall.
I had this realization a few years back, which is why I don't even seem to have the ability to get hyped about games anymore and tend to tune out hype or find it downright annoying. That makes it really hard for me to assess whether games have lived up to it.

I didn't used to be that way, though. It's hard to remember really old examples, but the last couple of examples I can remember are GTA: San Andreas, and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. Both were presented to me as being incredible fun and damn near flawless, and that's exactly what I got.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
To me God of War III delivered on all fronts. SO did Borderlands 2. It fixed all the problems the first one had. But oddly enough it somehow didn't have the same spellbinding effect on me the first one had.

Also Super Meat Boy. A superb platformer, period.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
I'm gonna say that the new XCOM lived up to the hype. It's just awesome :3

Rblade

Mar 1, 2010
Starcraft 2 for me. And we'll World of warcraft, I think expectations where high and boy did they knock that one out of the park.

other then that, I think LA Noire, for all it's fault, was better then most persimists would have thought.

The rest of my entries have pretty much been mentioned.