Games that Lived up to the Hype

Rush Syks

Jan 29, 2013
Well, in recent memory there was Deus Ex: Human Revolution and the new XCOM.

I originally wanted to play DE:HR right when it came out, but because of the release delay it had, I only had time to play it after christmas that year. Played it five days straight (including the DLC) and loved every second of it. Although the lack of cutscences in quality of the trailer was a little dissapointing. ;)

XCOM just took the entire first weekend when i bought it, even though I had enough other stuff I should have done instead. That was fun but I really felt a little bad afterwards.

Oh, hi everyone btw. :)

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
You know, I'm going to kind of backtrack on what I said earlier and agree on Fallout: New Vegas. That's probably the closest I've been in the current gen to getting genuinely hyped up about something, probably because it looked like what Fallout 3 should have been (when my friends hear me say "the real Fallout 3" they know what I mean). It absolutely did not disappoint and I was actually surprised it wasn't better received than it was.

Rblade said:
other then that, I think LA Noire, for all it's fault, was better then most persimists would have thought.
I second that. The main things I saw hyped (animation and an authentic-feeling representation of 1947 LA) were very impressive, even if other parts of it fell short. I enjoyed it a lot.

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
duke nukan forehehehehehe awhhhhhh. as if.

batman arkham asylum. or maybe that's just because i am such a major geek for batman.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Going just by my own hype, rather than the hype whipped up by gaming media.

Portal 2, easily. I was expecting it to be good, but didn't think they'd be able to capture the magic of the first game. Although there were a couple of segments that weren't so enjoyable, on the whole the game was easily as good as Portal, and somehow even funnier.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Mass Effect 2, I was expecting it to be possibly, maybe, as good as Mass effect 1 not the game's complete and utter superior in every way possible. Also pleasent surprise, MG Rising, but that was because I hadn't heard Platinum were designing bits of it now. Seriously, Demo, boss-fight, genuinely felt badass even though it took me another two playthroughs to get the controls down right.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Super Smash Brothers Melee I believe almost perfected the game play. Well the US version I have I reckons a little too fast but it feels great.

Half Life 2's first teaser I saw (which for some reason I can't find a video of any more) looked amazing, and to my surprise in 2011, it played amazing as well. People go on about how the graphics and game play are really dated but I have no fucking idea what these people are talking about. It's possibly the smoothest most comfortable game play I've used in a FPS, and it may not look as realistic as games today, but fuck realism. This game has amazing design and kept me glued to my computer longer than usual.

Ocarina of Time easily. I think just about every one knows why. Besides bringing in some new innovative elements to gaming history (not just simple changes like in some games we keep hearing of), it has a really good soundtrack and many many stages with bosses.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I was waiting 4 years for Rage, and for me, it lived up the the hype I had for it. I know a lot of people hated it, though.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Warcraft III the Frozen Throne is one that had me
Lotro was a lot of fun
I guess there are more but I'm just too tired to think

StupidNincompoop

Oct 27, 2012
Uh.. half life 2 lived up to the hype. Also resident evil 1-3 although i didn't really read any of the hype until years after i'd played those games, sooooo...

Uh, dead rising 2 was okay i guess.

OH. Terraria. That was a good game. Also magicka. Hotline miami was okay, the soundtrack not so much.

felbot

May 11, 2011
fallout new Vegas actually, fucking great game actually, bit buggy yes but i can look past that.

borderlands 2 was another one I did not expect to be this good.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Obviously Skyrim. I'm gonna say Far Cry 3 as so many people loved it, personally I only think it was quite good. Also, this may be controversial, but I think if you ignore the ending Mass Effect 3. The rest of the story is amazing, gameplay is my favourite in the series and the multiplayer doesn't even feel tacked on (although it is)

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
skywolfblue said:
Dead Space 2.

Having never played Dead Space before, I was a bit skeptical about a corridor shooter featuring "space zombies". That game was BETTER then everyone was saying. I fell head over heels in love with it.

Starcraft 2.

I already had a feeling it would be good. But I think it deserves credit for being the sequel to the best RTS of all time, and still managing to please most people. When the expectations are that high, the most tiny things can piss off half a fanbase.
I agree with these, hoping the next game in each respective series is at least as good, if not better.

As for me I'd say Portal 2 lived up to the hype, that game was awesome.

johnnnny guitar

Jul 16, 2010
For me recently Spec Ops, The walking dead and most surprising for me Darks souls on the PC.
Yeah the port they did was bare bones, yes it took me 3 hours to get my controller working on Windows 8 (considering I use windows 8 I deserve it) and yes the online features are fucked due to Australia's shitty Internet but the game is so challenging yet rewarding that's its easily one of the best games I've played this generation and makes me wish I had gotten into it sooner.

KissmahArceus

Mar 1, 2011
For me it has to be Halo 3, Skyrim or Sonic 2.
Halo 3 lived up to and exceeded expectations for me, awesome multiplayer, insane Scarab battles and just an incredible, well crafted experience.

Skyrim is Skyrim, my favourite ES and my favourite open world as well, I have pumped hundreds of hours in to this game.

Sonic 2 was magical, hyped beyond belief. The game exceeded all hype by being better than Sonic, which seemed impossible at the time, I remember thinking at the time "what if Sonic was a fluke?" "how will they top these awesome boss battles?"

Well, they did :) (plus it had Tails and the awesome special stage music)

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
Not Matt said:
duke nukan forehehehehehe awhhhhhh. as if.
I was just about to suggest that for reals. By the time it finally came out everyone thought it was going to be very average, and that's exactly what it was. A case of living down to the hype?

More seriously, Bayonetta. A million times more than I ever hoped it could be.