Games that Lived up to the Hype

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
The Binding of Isaac.

That game is so deep, there is so much to discover and learn, it's aesthetically strange which is refreshing in a way, and with the random set up of each level containing random item drops it hasn't become boring for me yet.

Plus the fact that it cost me 99 pence makes me so happy.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
I tend to not get expectations high on much of anything these days. The games I tend to get personally hyped over end up slightly disappointing me. For example, I hopped on top of Dishonored as fast as my pocket would allow me to... I still walked away from my first play through sad that it wasn't MUCH MUCH MUCH longer.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
For me, definitely Skyrim. I mean, it was really hyped on media, but the hype that gathered around the game, was no amount to match how hyped i was for it. Everyday, for the last 2 months before it's release, i would look at the timer on the wikia page at least 3 times a day, i would dream of it every night, i would think of it in school and in home, and plan what kind of character i would build, what sort of skills i would major in, would i be evil or good, that sort of stuff. I know that many people disliked it, for good reason, but for me, it was everything i dreamed of. I could overlook the combat system that people considered to be poor at best, the boring quests compared to Oblivion (that people considered to have more boring quests that Morrowind), and all the other stuff people complained about, i could overlook all of that, because it was another TES game, and i fucking love TES franchise.

DaSmart1

Aug 4, 2009
Mass Effect 2, Skyrim, Arkham City, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, the Walking Dead, those are the first that come to my mind

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
NoneOfYourBusiness said:
For me, definitely Skyrim. I mean, it was really hyped on media, but the hype that gathered around the game, was no amount to match how hyped i was for it. Everyday, for the last 2 months before it's release, i would look at the timer on the wikia page at least 3 times a day, i would dream of it every night, i would think of it in school and in home, and plan what kind of character i would build, what sort of skills i would major in, would i be evil or good, that sort of stuff. I know that many people disliked it, for good reason, but for me, it was everything i dreamed of. I could overlook the combat system that people considered to be poor at best, the boring quests compared to Oblivion (that people considered to have more boring quests that Morrowind), and all the other stuff people complained about, i could overlook all of that, because it was another TES game, and i fucking love TES franchise.
I'm tempted to say that's a little crazy, but then I remember how that's pretty much how I felt about the previous game in the series, which unfortunately turned out to be possibly the most disappointing turd of a game I have ever purchased and is the reason a quarter of my posts on this forum include some kind of shot at Bethesda and their games (it's a sickness or something, I can't help it).

I'm a bit jealous you can actually feel that, in a way.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
Psychonauts

I was slightly worried during the opening cut scene but then when I started finally moving and walked right up to the brain kid, my gosh, I knew I was going to have a good time.

Stip45

Aug 11, 2008
From the top of my head:

Portal
Journey
Shadow of the Colossus
Persona 4
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
GTA San Andreas

That's pretty much all I can think of.

Some_Jackass

Aug 7, 2008
Saints Row 2. Hit the mark perfectly, especially after the letdown GTA4 was.

Resident Evil 6. It promised zombies.

Mass Effect 3. Yeah, the ending was...well what the ending was. But it was an absolute emotional rollercoaster all the way to that end.

Magikarp

Jan 26, 2011
Skyrim. I wish I could erase it from my brain so I could play it like it was new again.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Skyrim... ...
Don't eat my babies!
I just don't think Skyrim was over hyped, mostly because Bethesda did a great job at PR damage control. and they hyped it just enough.

Games that lived up to absurd hype on the other hand, don't exist.

There are games that exceeded the hype like Catherine and Mirror's Edge

Bayonetta probably lived up to the hype too.

Rariow

Nov 1, 2011
I've only played three in my entire life.

The first one was the original Deus Ex, about five or six years ago. I picked it up thinking it'd be one of those "classic" games that aren't that good when you actually sit down and play them. I was wrong. It still stands as my favourite game of all time.

The second was Bastion, last year. I generally can't stand gameplay from an isometric perspective (Which frustrates me to no end, there are games (mainly RTSs and old RPGs) I know I'd love if not for this one stupid little quirk of mine), but I picked this one up after all the hype and because it was really, really cheap on Steam. I loved it, absolutely wonderful game.

The third is actually arguably a game at all: Katawa Shoujo, a Visual Novel (That disabled girl dating sim that caused a bit of a stir when it came out), this month. I heard it was fantastic and all that, but considering I never really tried VNs before, I was quite skeptical. Besides, I generally really don't like romance, and this is a romantic VN. I ADORE this thing now, and I completely understand why so many people love it. Great characters, great artwork, fantastic artwork and completely stellar story arcs. The fact that something that started off on 4chan is so mature (in a "good head on their shoulders" way, not "containing loads of sex" way) is really uplifting to me, and hell, the entire game is very uplifiting. I'm a bit obsessed with this thing at the moment, but that happens whenever I love a game so much.

Lucky Godzilla

Oct 31, 2012
Uh guess I'll just fire off some games off the top of my head
1. Fallout 3
2. CoD 4
3. Red Dead Redemption
4. Bioshock
5. MGS 3
6. Deus Ex HR
7. Far Cry 3

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I'll just name games that were hyped up to ridiculous amounts but lived up to it IMO:
Skyrim
ME3 (after the EC was released)
Borderlands 2
Halo 3 (Perfect end to a great trilogy)
ACII
Wind Waker

Probably missing some but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
Skyrim
Portal
Red Dead Redemption (for me at least was one of the best in recent memory)
Uncharted 2 was a blast

I typically don't finish many games, and these are the 4 I've actually completed (Skyrim I haven't completed for obvious reasons, but have pumped a bunch of hours into) in the recent years.