Games that Lived up to the Hype

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
Skyrim definitely lived up to the hype for me. In fact, getting excited about it actually improved the experience for me and helped me to look past its flaws until about 80 hours in.

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
Some_Jackass said:
Mass Effect 3. Yeah, the ending was...well what the ending was. But it was an absolute emotional rollercoaster all the way to that end.
I know, right? People don't give it nearly enough credit for everything that happens before the last ten minutes.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
For me? Crysis, Skyrim, Total War games (ALL OF THEM O_O) and maybe one or two others? Most of the games I have really enjoyed to this sort of level tend to be surprises so not much Hype. I've noticed that often they tend to be games that you have an idea of what to expect; so your hype tends to be grounded in reality as opposed to potentially bouncing off the walls like it might do with a new IP.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I have quite a few I can name. Skyrim, Far Cry 3, Borderlands 2, Portal 2, The Walking Dead, Deus Ex: Human Revolution - basically all the ones other people have mentioned, and for a good reason. Despite some conflicting opinions, to me these games deserve every amount of hype they were given before release.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
redhatman said:
Half life 3
Greetings, time traveller, your journey must have been long and our time must seem strange but we welcome you!

OT: Portal. I played it after I found Zero Punctuation (and the forks statement) so it was wa-a-ay after any of the cake is a lie jokes stopped being funny (yes, so basically I played it more than 2 seconds after it came out...not saying much there). But it held up pretty well regardless.

Also, Arcanum. Actually, I hadn't much heard of it until approximately last year (or 2011-ish), I mean I knew the name and very basically the premise (some...fantasy setting. With steam power, too) but that's about it. I had it on my "to research" list, though, as something that seemed interesting and it had stayed there for...3 years at least - since 2008, of this I'm sure. At any rate, in 2012 (or end of 2011), I finally sought out some information and it was generally favourable, I also noticed it was made by Troika Games (who made one of my favourite games - Bloodlines) so I finally got it on a sale from GOG. And it blew my mind away. It was so good, that it's now also one of my favourite game, almost immediately became one of them. Whatever hype there was about it when it came out, it must have been justified.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Mass Effect 3

at the time it was as awsome as I expected..though I admit some of that may have been "OOOOHHH MY GOOOOOD I'M PLAYING ME3!!!!"

and the ending was as awful as I was lead ot belive

so twice!

IrenIvy

Mar 15, 2011
Bastion, To the Moon, Mass Effect 2 (I started to play the series from 2 and went back to 1), Portal 1 and 2, both Witchers, Batman Arkham Asylum, Bioshock 1, Spec Ops: The Line and Deus Ex: Human Revolution

I really liked L.A. Noire despite only seeing ZP review of it so I don't know if it classifies as "hyped"
Same about Dead Space 2 - liked it, only watched ZP review of it, don't know if it is "hype"

Also I can't say anything about older (and beloved) games like Thief, Soul Reaver and Planescape, because I never cared/knew about hype back then.

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
Jamous said:
For me? Crysis, Skyrim, Total War games (ALL OF THEM O_O) and maybe one or two others? Most of the games I have really enjoyed to this sort of level tend to be surprises so not much Hype. I've noticed that often they tend to be games that you have an idea of what to expect; so your hype tends to be grounded in reality as opposed to potentially bouncing off the walls like it might do with a new IP.
This is true. One of the benefits of brushing off, ignoring, or just outright scoffing at hype is that when something actually does turn out to be awesome, it's a wonderful surprise. You don't get as many let-downs, instead you get occasional pleasant surprises.

Trull

Nov 12, 2010
I was surprised Skyrim lived up to the hype I built around it. I made it a throne of hype, in a room with hype walls, hype floors, and a hype ceiling. And then I gave it a hype lollipop - and it still won.

Borderlands 2 definitely. It delivered all that was said in the trailer (along with the extra wub wub)

B5Alpha

Oct 4, 2012
A lot of games I either over-hyped and got bored of quickly (Most shooters) and didn't return often or came back later and really enjoyed (F:NV). A lot of great games I wasn't following before their release but I have loved since; Borderlands 2 (before it became grindy), The Walking Dead, and Far Car 3.

I know the danger I take in typing this, but the only game I ever put on a pedestal that never crumbled is probably Mass Effect 3. The ending was botched a little (though the EC healed that wound), but the closure of many character plot lines (Mordin, Legion, Grunt, Tali), and the -gasp- addition of Day 1 DLC character Javik brought engaging and emotional gameplay. No game is ever perfect even in it's best attributes (James, Ashley, Kaidan, and Miranda all needed to be fleshed out more), and it delivered an experience that has brought me back many times.

Before I post this, I almost forgot XCOM:EU, the other game that lived up to the hype. A friend pointed it out to me several months before release and convinced me to buy the original. Best advised I ever took.

OblivionSoul

Oct 19, 2009
Sleeping Dogs, I got so hyped for that game when I first heard the premise (as True Crime: Streets of Hong Kong). Then it got lukewarm reception at e3, so I was nervous. Now I own it and it's everything I had hoped it would be.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
There are two devs for me who constantly deliver.

#1 Platinum Games, I only bought a 360 18 months ago, and Vanquish and Bayonetta were already out. Back then Platinum Games didn't have such a following like they do nowadays but they were still very highly regarded in the niche online gaming circles I frequented. When I finally got to play the games I wasn't disappointed in the least. Anarchy Reigns and the MGR demo delivered too.

#2 CAVE Interactive Co, While not hyped up in wider gaming circles they are very highly regarded some. The devs who are the kings of the Bullet Hell genre (inc Deathsmiles, Akia Katana, Esp Galuda 2 and Mushimisama Futari), compared to others in the genre and in the wider Arcade genres too CAVE shmups have that extra je ne sais quoi, Great pacing, deep score mechanics even for a shmup which are generally very deep when it comes to scoreplay and forming strategies to maximise scoring pertential.

They are also top tier in both 2D visuals, where their use of colour both in the palettes they use and how they contrast them is something other devs can hope to mimic. Also their excellent upbeat soundtracks are by some of the best old guard Japanese Video Game musicians like Ryu Umeoto, Namiki and Noriyuki Iwadare.

Sadly since shmups are a super niche genre, CAVE remains somewhat under the radar even with 2D retro gamers who lauded Outlander for it's 2D visuals and contrasting colours even though it's a simpiler clone of CAVE's techniques. Certanly up there with Metal Slug and Vanillaware in terms of presentation that's second to none within their own genre.

Other recent games that lived up to the hype and praise surrounding them.

Dark Souls
FTL
Recettear: An Item Shop
Rayman Origins

Older games i've only recently played
Mirrors Edge
Chrono Trigger
Ninja Gaiden Black
DMC 3

ASan83

Mar 11, 2011
Back in the day, I remember seeing ads for Final Fantasy VII in comic books and magazines talking about how it could do what cartridge games couldn't, and I remember thinking something along the lines of 'Yeah, right. I don't need that crappy game on my Nintendo 64 anyway.'

Then I played it, and immediately regretted my console decision.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Skyrim and Fallout 3 are pretty up there.
Portal 2 is up there too.
I'm hoping Bioshock Infinite will as well but I'm currently assaulting it withe absolutely zealous it-can-do-no-wrong hype. I hope I'm right.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Persona 4: Golden.
[small][sub][sub][sub]I know it's practically the same game as the original but with minor changes. Shut up.[/sub][/sub][/sub][/small]

Borderlands 2 exceeded my amount of hype. I certainly did not expect the story to make such of a big impact, considering how lackluster the first one was in terms of plot.

Portal 2 also matched my expectations. Valve improved upon the first game in every way possible and now it's one of my top 5 favorite games of all time.

Kef10

Jan 11, 2013
I don't really buy into the hype, Heck I barely read any gaming news at all..
I just pick up games as I see them get released without expecting gods gift to earth like some people do.

But I was pretty stoked for skyrim because a friend insisted on spamming the trailers to me, And it certainly lived up.
And with pretty stoked I mean preordering the game, Calling in sick the day it was released, and going dark from skype/facebook and my cellphone was left uncharged on my bed